Do you have the sport seats (manual 'race' seats) in your 575? | FerrariChat

Do you have the sport seats (manual 'race' seats) in your 575?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by jakermc, May 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Looking for feedback on the sport/race seat option in the 575. I am talking about the non-power 2 piece seat with the holes in the seat back intended for harnesses. How comfortable are these seats for a daily driver? Some specific questions:

Is the adjustability good enough to find a comfortable seating position?
    Is the seat comfortable enough and padded enough for long (5+ hour) drives?
    Does the stock seat belt that is threaded through the seat hole fall across your shoulder correctly? It looks like it might run kind of high, across your neck.
    Would you get these seats again for a daily driver or would you prefer one of the powered seat options?

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #2 darth550, May 26, 2009
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
    I had them in my last 50. They creaked a lot and fatigued my back more than the power seats did for sure. No lumbar either. I had to pull the belt down off my neck all the time too. I was planning on putting Daytona inserts in them and adding a manual pump lumbar (which Fernando said he could easily do) but never got there.

For a daily, I'd stay with the power seats. my .02

3. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Yeah, but the sport seats look so cool. What's more important? Looking cool or being comfortable?

4. fc_11

fc_11 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    NY
    #4 fc_11, May 26, 2009
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
    i have the sport seats in my 575. i feared them but the prior owner assured me he had done long distances without any discomfort. he was right - i've done 4-5 hour drives and feel fine afterwards. i have not driven that long in one with the regular seats so i can't tell you its any more/less comfortable - just that its plenty comfortable.

that being said - i don't know if i'd advocate the switch unless you're going to track the car. passengers find the manual adjustments tricky, the high headrest gives you bed-head, and the wide shoulder supports make accessing the luggage shelf difficult. if you're going to track the car then these are secondary concerns to the lighter package and better support.

i don't have the harnesses - plato's review on 5th gear said to stick with the stock belts for simplicity and comfort. i'm not particularly tall and the belt thru the hole gives me no trouble - it falls just as it should.

5. widdlewade

widdlewade Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2004
    Bay Area/NYC
    I've got the sport seats in my 575. I've driven from San Diego to Napa in them with no problems (about 8 hours). I don't know how big and tall you are, but when I was looking at cars, I found the sport seats to be lower than the normal ones, since you can't adjust the height (although I don't remember if you can adjust the height in the normal seats).
    BTW, I haven't had any comfort issues with the seatbelts.
    Good luck!

6. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Access to the rear parcel shelf was not something I had thought about. Given that I have dedicated race cars to feed my track habit, I think one of the powered seats may be my best option as I look for a car. Perhaps just a bit more livable for day to day driving.

7. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    575s with sport seats are not widely available. I suspect that you will face more concern about the color of the seats and Daytona inserts than whether a car has sport seats.

8. tmario

tmario Formula Junior

May 11, 2004
    New York
    Full Name:
    Mario
    My SA has the sports seats and I love them. I have not driven more than 3 hours yet, but they are very comfortable for me (XL size seat).

In contrast, I had the Daytonas in my previous 575 and they gave me back pain on almost any distance drive :(

YMMV

Mario