Cambelt article by Michael Sheehan | FerrariChat

Cambelt article by Michael Sheehan

Discussion in '348/355' started by AceMaster, May 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 AceMaster, May 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is that cambelt article by Michael Sheehan, it is 4-pages but still a quick read. Some may have already read or heard about this. Just a disclaimer by myself - I do not support no refute any of his opinions, I just simply posted it here for an alternative perspective and for your reading enjoyment :) :) :)

It is in a Microsoft Word file.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ronrob

ronrob Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2007
    Var, S.E. France
    Full Name:
    Ronald Brown
    Thanks for posting. I had heard of this article but never seen it. Good of you to take the time to make it available.

3. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    #3 eyboro, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
    Very interesting, I had my first 30k service in January 2008 and my F355 Spider is a 1997. The cam belt looked perfect to me. The only thing that was wornout was the white color writing of the Ferrari part # everything else on the belt looked perfect.

My question is: how many here on Fchat or anywhere else with an F355 or 348 had their car ever broken a cam belt?

4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Interesting article. I think every 5 years is plenty, if you drive the car without running at the rev limit all the time I would think 7 years might be reasonable.
    Thanks for posting this up!
    :)
    BT

5. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    +1

I'd like to see Dave Helms or Rifledrivers perspective of the article.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Mike is an idiot.

Always has been

7. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My pleasure guys!! anything for my Ferrari brothers....:) :)

8. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Rifledriver....since I am a new owner, I do not know too much about him, I was given this article by a dealer when I was searching for my first Ferrari purchase. I wanted to reiterate that I do not support his claim to wait 7 years (or whatever he was trying to get across in this article).

9. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    My experience is by no means scientific but...

I bought a 1982 308 in approx. 2002, and the cam belt was 21 years old. I changed it.

I bought a 1990 348 TS in approx. 2004, and the cam belt was at least 14 years old. I changed it.

I bought a 1990 348 TS in 2006, and the cam belt was at least 17 years old. I changed it.

I think the recommendations by Ferrari are overkill to the max, but I could be wrong. I have no dog in the hunt any more because I'm not a Ferrari owner.

10. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    why do you feel this way about him?

11. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Someone should contact the belt maker and ask them how long should a belt last? No one should know better than them.

I have seen many different time length but rarely mileage that goes with the time. Mileage should be as important

12. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Article said Gates was interviewed and they said 9 years. But I went to high school with Gates and he's an idiot too.

13. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't think there is a specific time on how long it will last - I think it depends on how the car is driven, high RPM revs etc...it is an inexaxt science, hence the "safe" 3-year belt service....

14. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LOL!!

15. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Yes, Gates says the belt will last 9 years. It seems that more often than the belt failing, it is a tensioner or a piece of the plastic cam belt cover breaking causing the failure.
    But what do I know? Most people say I am an idiot...
    :D
    BT

16. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    He makes good points (not the first time I have seen his opinion on the cam belt issue. A recent Prancing Horse had some similar comments). I think most people will agree that the cam belts on a regularly driven car changed at 5 years are going to look good, and a failure is more likely to come from tensioners than the belt itself.

It's always a gamble isn't it? So let's say you do yours every three years in a 355. At 5k per, that is 15k in 9 years. If you go the same nine years and they break, what's that going to cost? 15k? 20k? Not really that big a difference in price. And if they don't fail, you save a good $10,000.

It's a bit like buying an extended warranty. You pay up-front to avoid the risk of having to pay bigger down the road. And you hear all these stories about how great the warranty is and how much money it saved someone. But in the end, more money goes to the warranty company than goes to the service folks. It's nothing more than insurance.

Now if you buy a car from someone who has deferred the maintenance, that is a completely different story. They enjoyed the reduced maintenance costs, and you get left holding the bag.

17. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike

It is actually $15,000 (or whatever the cost is per year) in six years because you are paying for the service ahead of the 3-years. For example, if I do mine today and then in 3-year intervals:

2009 - $5,000.00
    2012 - $5,000.00
    2015 - $5,000.00

But I do understand what you are saying :)

18. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
  19. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Owners have to judge their own level of risk. The risk is not just about the belt(s), though. For 348s, changing the cam belt also is an opportunity to check/replace belt and chain tensioners, check water pump and alternator condition, adjust valves, etc, etc. I plan to stick with the 4 to 5yr. plan on major services on my 348. YMMV.

20. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    NICE! 9 years, sign me up! :D Kidding of course...the devil is in the details. Is that 9 years a 50% failure rate? a 10% failure rate? a 1 per thousand failure rate? Makes a big difference, and the life comes down drastically if you want to keep the failure rate low assuming a normal distribution of failures.

I'm sticking with 5

21. troy_wood

troy_wood Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Troy Wood
    +1

... and if you are buying a 10+ year old Ferrari you should be prepared to drop the lump every few years. People keep talking about just the timing belts - I always thought it was just hype, but there's so much more to be concerned about than just the t-belt on a Ferrari. I will stick to 3 years but only because I want to check on these other items. Belt change is just because you are already in there...

22. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    +1 !!!!!
    A major includes ALOT more than just belt replacement.

Would it make anyone feel better if their belt was starting the fray and shred when it was replaced?

How many people go to the dentist for regular cleaning and check ups? Why not just wait until your teeth are rotten then get dentures?
    1st year:check up and cleaning $150.00
    2nd year:check up and cleaning $150.00
    3rd year:check up and cleaning $150.00
    etc.....

Hell, by the time your teeth fall out, you could've saved enough for 2 pairs of dentures!

23. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    #23 enginefxr, May 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Not a fan of Sheehan generally, however, I still agree on his conclusion in this article as I did when I first read it. 5-9 years (I prefer the 5, use 9 if you're a gambler :)) depending on storage, maintenance and use of the car. Less if you are trying to sell the car. Buyers want not to think about the belts and sellers shouldn't have to worry about price adjustments due to this deficiency.

25. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Well said.