Kevlar Clutch | FerrariChat

Kevlar Clutch

Discussion in '360/430' started by Oengus, May 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I just had a Kevlar clutch put on my 360..........I dont know how to explain it but it feels amazing. I guess more solid would be a good word, Im very happy with it and the way it feels pedal to foot.

2. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Where did you get the disc?

3. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #3 brokenarrow, May 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
    Really? Okay, let's kick-off the questions:

1. Where did you get it?

2. How much?

3. Expected life?

4. Any modifications required or parts?

5. Is it a custom clutch?

6. Is it a set with pressure plate and disc?

7. Can you use your flywheel?

4. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

NJB in Columbus Ohio did it for me.
    They had it sent out.......

5. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

1. NJB in Columbus Ohio
    2. $3700
    3. I got 50k miles out of my factory clutch.........so I would expect that for sure. (6 speed manual)
    4. No
    5. No just has a Kevlar overlay as far as I understand
    7. Yes

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Wow. Got any pic of the parts?

7. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Sorry Bill I dont

Ill check with NJB and let you know.

8. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

I was told that it should be 2x to 3x longer than standard life but obviously driving habits are a BIG factor. They resurface disc and flywheel and add new o-rings and seals and replace throw out bearing if required.

Having said that I did get 50k + out of my original clutch...........so Im certainly not going to expect 100k + out of it ;) ;)

9. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    #9 zippyslug31, May 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
    Cool, glad somebody was able to get this done.

Last year I had my clutch redone (after 28k, manual trans) and when I inquired with both an f-car dealer and a local lambo dealer (who services f-cars) they both acted like I was insane. Really blew me away with their reaction so I just went with factory stuff.

Figured if the stock stuff lasts me another 28k I'll be happy.

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Since the factory clutch gave you 50K miles, what are the expected advantages of the Kevlar clutch?

I don't know how accurate it is to compare the old worn out clutch to the new one in terms of grip and action. A new factory clutch would probably feel better too, especially after resurfacing the flywheel and replacing seals, etc.

Where did you get the info about the kevlar alternative?

Sounds interesting.

11. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    They did the same for my 355 Spider. Its funny, I paid to have the car sent to Oh to NJB, then they pull out my clutch and send it BACK to my home town to get the kevlar coating. No wonder these cars are expensive! But what a difference and I loved the tight crisp feel of my clutch.

12. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

NJB just outside of Columbus Ohio
    The advantage for me was under 4k compared to........?
    They are great guys and do all of my service work........I would recommend them to anybody:)

13. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Too funny. It does feel tight and crisp.........

14. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    There are two firms I know of that do Kevlar clutches:

http://www.clutchmasters.com/ in Rialto, CA

http://www.hrclutch.com/ in Bensalem, PA

Both do a great job. They will resurface the flywheel, resurface the pressure plate and rebuild w/newer and slightly stronger springs, and resurface the clutch disc with Kevlar for under $800.00 for all three.

Hill T/O bearing strongly recommended.

Both have experience with 360 clutches.

15. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    Can kevlar be used with F1 trans?

16. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Sure can.

Have a few acquaintances who have done it and are very pleased.

17. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    Not sure if kevlar is different from ceramic but i just did clutch change on my Lambo 3 weeks ago. Went for ceramic clutch from Rennsport. Replaced just clutch disc because the rest was fine (car has only 3500 miles) and it cost me 250 usd. Clutch feels great and i hope it will stay much longer than the ****ty Lambo factory one.

18. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    In my view, the jury is still out on use of kevlar for F1. I tried a kevlar clutch in my 360 F1 figuring it was a reasonable experiment. Since I own my cars a long time and drive them allot, the benefits of extended clutch life were something I'd get to enjoy directly if it worked. Was great for the first 300 miles. I was thrilled. Then, very strangely, it started slipping on acceleration in 4th gear, sometimes 5th and 6th, for example when I would poke the gas pedal to zip past someone. Sometimes it slipped for no explainable reason. Called HR, they said that we should have gone with ceramic on one side and kevlar on the other because the kevlar overheats quickly. I believe the suggestion was that the ceramic be on the pressure plate side, but I haven't done this yet and so I can't swear to it. Anyway, I'm still torn between trying another experiment or just going back to OEM. There is one mitigating issue that keeps me from completely blaming the kevlar - it is that the shop has noticed that my clutch position sensor is intermittently blipping an erratic reading. When I get the clutch replaced I'll be getting a new sensor as well.

I know another 360 F1 owner who tried the same kevlar clutch. His failed differently - apparently slipped right from the start and never felt really right. He has recently gone to ceramic and kevlar. Spoke to him a few days ago and we're waiting for him to put a mountain trip on it to see how it holds up.

Lou

19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Please keep us updated Lou. I will be in for a clutch pretty soon.