Suspension saga continues…..this time coil springs! | FerrariChat

Suspension saga continues…..this time coil springs!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by christopher, May 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Hey Guys,

Was thinking of doing something to the suspension while I was into it, but thought I should check to see if I was going to create a headache if I was to do this….

I was thinking of replacing all four coil springs on my 79 308GTB, just because the car has been sitting for 30 years, and I know that they will over time fatigue.

Well, I checked out the price of them……How about $440.00 per!!!!!

There goes that idea…Instead I thought I’d just cosmetically restore them. That is to suggest sand blasting and powder coating.

My question is during each process (sand blasting and powder coating), especially powder coasting with the intense heat, will I be doing any damage to these coil springs?

Anyone done this before?

Thanks Guys,
    Chris.

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #2 Verell, May 29, 2009
    Last edited: May 29, 2009
    Powder coating is not the best finish for springs. It's too hard, tends to flake off as they flex, and chips with rocks & gravel being tossed up.
    Use a couple of coats of POR15 followed by a coat of POR's FLEXCOAT paint or a auto body polyurethane paint in the color of your choice.
    It stays flexable, so will flex with the spring & is VERY chip resistant.
    See: http://www.por15.com/

It's available from most auto body supply stores these days.

3. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Ferrari factory springs generally won't fatigue and break.....but they certainly can settle over time. You'll know it because your car will be sitting below the factory ride height. Frankly, however, the US ride height was set up higher to meet DOT bumper height requirements, so, some settling just makes your car "euro spec"......

4. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    You can have them tested.I had mine tested and they were in the spec range

5. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Thanks to all that replied!

I appreciate all of your advice!

I think rather than sandblasting, I might just rough up the very small areas where the paint has chipped and just apply a little detail paint to that area.

This might be an easier way out.

Thanks again!

Chris.