328 Selector fork adjustment procedure | FerrariChat

328 Selector fork adjustment procedure

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by peajay, May 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I am in porcess of chaning the shifter seals on my 328, new seals installed OK so far, unfortunatley I made the mistake of disturbing the turnbuckle (1/4 turn) when getting the shaft out, so now I cant get the gears to engage. I searched but can't find a step by step process to adjust the selector fork. I assume I should only have a slight rotational problem but whatever it is I cant get the gears to enagage. Does anyone have a good procedure or advice ?

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    peajay,
    If you're going to BOTH post or start a thread and send PMs asking the same question, PLEASE put a link to the post in the PM so the question gets answered in the thread where the post's viewers can see it.

With the gearshift in neutral centered between 2nd & 3rd the fork on the shift shaft's end should be centered over the central L shaped control arm.

Also, since this is a neutral position, all 3 L arm ends should be lined up with each other.

Search for 'shift shaft' and 'adjust', there are several threads incl. some with pix.

BTW, the trannys for the 308 GT4 thru the 328 & Mondial8 thru Mondial 3.2 are essentially identical. The shift mechanisms are identical, so anything written about one of them will apply to your 328.

3. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Verell, I didn't mean to annoy you, I posted the thread after I sent you a message, thinking you of course may not be available and time is running out for me to get this job done. Is the centering so critical that if not just right it can cause problems engaging some gears like I have ?.

4. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have an update on what I have found, this may be good info for others that may encounter the same problem. Turns out I had two issues that would not allow the gears to engage. I put the shift gate back on temporarily to be able to line up the neutral position, it appears tha the gate is not symetriclal and I had put the 4/5 position at the 1/reverse position. There is a lug on the 1/reverse side that was preventing the gearstick pushing the shifter shaft, I turned it arouds and I could the get 5th gear but still not 2nd and 4th. I had been trying the engagement without the detent balls and springs in position, so I bolted the sump cover temporarily in postion and now I can get all the gears. Hopefully others will learn from my experience.