First car wash... | FerrariChat

First car wash...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by fastmover, May 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fastmover

fastmover Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2009
    NA
    Hope all you chatters are doing well.

After a 600 km jaunt yesterday, my F430 needs a good wash. It was professionally detailed on delivery but now there are bugs all over the hood and windshield. I was going to go to a wand wash and spray the car off and then dry with a shammy. This would be followed by a vacuuming the interior and using some armor all for the dash. Il probably go pick up some polish for the wheels as well.

Would you guys do it differently?

Thanks.

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #2 Bullfighter, May 30, 2009
    Last edited: May 30, 2009
    Detailing is one of those arts that spawns 1,000 opinions. But some things I would do differently:

1. Don't resort to pressure washing to remove bugs. You'll want to use a proper wash mitt (Griot's Garage sells a good one), car wash soap (not dish detergent or anything harsh) and a wash bucket with a grate at the bottom so the dirt drops through when you rinse the mitt. I sometimes use a hose with a rubber nozzle to keep the mitt wet.

2. For drying, I like microfibre towels (again, I use Griot's towels but there are other good options) and don't rub the car when you dry it. If it has a good coat of wax, you should never have to "scrub" it dry. Blot it dry instead and use as many towels as you have to.

3. The dash is probably leather, so find a good leather conditioner and use it sparingly on the dash. (My 328 has a vinyl dash, so usually just use a damp cloth and gently wipe it.) The mark of an amateur detailer is a shiny dash and tires.

4. Don't polish the wheels. Use a little wheel cleaner and a dedicated wheel sponge. You don't need to abrade the paint.

If you have to use bug remover, do it only on the spots where necessary and rinse it off quickly. I just avoid bugs when driving - the 328 is very nimble and too low for bugs.

Or you could call your detailer back and tell him he missed a few spots... :)

3. DHILLON

DHILLON Karting

Mar 13, 2009
    Canada
    Full Name:
    J Dhillon
    #3 DHILLON, May 30, 2009
    I first start off by washing the car, applying soap and washing the soap off. Then I dry using a california water blade and any spots left I use a microfiber cloth. If the car is really dirty, I wax it (usually use meguiars), then wash off and dry the same as before. Then i usually keep a quick detailer on hand to clean off any minor dirt. Polishing the wheels is okay but also apply some tyre shine. This should keep your car looking as if it just came out of the showroom.

Your way works too, but try the water blade it help prevent water spots from appearing. Good Luck. Post some pics once your done :).

Edit: the advice above is probably better :D

4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Amour All in my experience turns brown after awhile and has to be reapplied.

You didn't mention wheels. Best thing I have found is Lemon Pledge which cuts through the grease and brake dust and leaves a little wax for protection...letting wheels go too long makes for a difficult cleaning job. Clean them every time you drive or least every week you drive and it will be easy to stay on top of the problem. I put Lemon Pledge on the tires as well. Much better than Armor All and it doesn't trun brown.

Dash. I use Zymol leather conditioner on my leather dash. I am sure there are other good products out there but this is what I have and it workds for me. Use a windshield shade when your car sits in the sun to help protect the leather.

Bugs. Clean them off every time you drive. Don't let them dry and get embedded in your finish. Easier to clean them off when they are juicy than when they are dry. I have 3M and so I use windex to take the bugs off the 3M parts and follow with MaGuires Quick Detailer.

Bird poop. Get this off the car as soon as possible. The acid will ruin your finish if it stays on too long. Easier to get off when wet. I have been known to come out of a restaurant and clean off bird poop before getting into the car.

Take off your belt or move it to the side so you don't scratch your car.

Happy cleaning.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I thought it was every 3 years on the belts. You do it every time you wash the car? :)

6. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    I am not a big fan of the water blade, if some crap lands on the car after you wash it, you will grind it across the paint.
    however,
    I do like a DI water rinse, as they dry spot free by themselves.

Overall, the less you touch the paint, the better.

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    It's a little expensive, but I've NEVER had a belt failure. ;)

8. grease

grease Karting

Nov 29, 2008
    #8 grease, May 30, 2009
    Yes.

Clean the rims first. If you have carbon ceramics, make sure to use a ph neutral cleaner as ceramics have a habit of absorption. And well, they can get expensive to replace. Use a water based tire dressing if you have ceramics also. Apply tire dressing after you finished washing the car.

Rinse the car making sure to remove most of the loose contaminants.

Wash using two buckets: one for rinsing and one for soap. Use a soap designed specifically for car use. Wood protectants (pledge) and other cleaners can contain chemicals that can undermine the clearcoat's responsibility to protect against UV rays and marring. Use a gentle wash mitt such as a sheep skin one. Use a bug sponge to remove bugs. Always wash working your way from the top to the bottom.

Dry with microfiber towels.

And I would use something other than Armor All in the interior. For me, its slimy and leaves the interior looking like a greased up turkey ready for Thanksgiving. If all you have access to is a Auto Zone and are not willing to wait for products to be shipped, I would suggest Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer.

Autopia.org is a excellent source for detailing information and theres plenty of writeups about your exact vehicle in the Pro's section. Sadly, their website is down today; I do not know why.

9. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I'm also against water blades due to possibility of scratches. I saw an episode of 5th Gear where they compared 3 types of washing/detailing. They said one would have been perfect, but they water bladed it.

I do a thorough pre-rinse but not too much pressure on bug areas. I hand wash with mitt and vehicle soap using 2 buckets. One with suds, one clean to rinse. I rinse very thoroughly, then blot dry. I go over it with dry microfiber towels to get rid of any spots. I use random rotater to wax w/ Zymol. Eagle One aluminum cleaner works good for the rims, then I just use a foam to clean the tires.

Mines not an FCar but it has soft paint. This works out well for me. I also clay bar when needed.

10. RAKLAW

RAKLAW Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Westchester,NY & Sarasota FL
    Full Name:
    RAK
    Please don't use armor-all on your dash. It ends up looking like a patent leather tuxedo pump,and collects dust.
    Zymol, or use a damp soft cloth.. Does the job.

11. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    +1 Do your self a huge favor and just don't buy the stuff.. Very very greasy even when wiped.. SAY NO TO ARMOR-ALL Whats next.. coconut air freshner..

R

12. DHILLON

DHILLON Karting

Mar 13, 2009
    Canada
    Full Name:
    J Dhillon
    Well I do guess it depends on the paint and the car, i've been using the blade for three years now, not even one scratch. However, i don't water blade the entire car, just get rid of the water until there is little left, then I use a microfiber cloth, for my car it gives a better shine.

13. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    On the belts it depends upon how many loops you have...:D

On the wash, I like Griots products as well, and also use some of Adam's products. I wouldn't ever pressure spray anything off of my car, but that is just my opinion. If you want to get the stuff off, get two buckets and wash your car using that method. There are at least two guys on Fchat who are professional detailers. Use the search function and you will find them - recommend you PM them for guidance.

MB

14. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    dang... I was gonna get my self some of that stuff...

15. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    #15 dakharris, May 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you have chains, rather than belts, it's a good idea to remove those as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I have one word for you SHAMWOW! :)

Seriously dude, it's a car. Wash it with a good car wash liquid available from Meguiars, or any other reputable brand. Use a fleece mitt, hose it off and use a chamois to dry it.
    Don't worry about small bits of whatever on your car. Do you have any idea what a speck of dust in the air does to your car when you are traveling at 80-MPH? It's like a small rock hitting the car. Multiply that by billions of dust particles in the air and you have a micro sandblasting effect. You are hardly likely to do any more damage wiping water off your car.

17. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Very good point. :)