start up routine for 360 | FerrariChat

start up routine for 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by jvan21, Jun 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jvan21

jvan21 Karting

Oct 23, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    John Van
    been thinking lately about the way i start my car. does everyone here who drives a 360 insert the key, turn it, wait for the "check ok" indicator to come on, then turn the ignition?

or, do most people just turn the ignition right away? thanks

2. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    I generally wait

3. AgeRebel

AgeRebel Karting

Apr 29, 2008
    US Pacific NW
    I usually wait till the beep stops, but have always wondered if there is any benefit to doing this!

4. ThreeSixty

ThreeSixty Karting

May 4, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    George G
    me too

5. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    We need rifledriver to tell us if it helps at all to wait. Where is he?

6. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    I have 34K and no engine issues ever. I stick the key in and fire it up. I don't wait.

7. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Do the same and no issues.
    Docf

8. slice

slice Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2008
    Connecticut, US
    wait...with clutch engaged and car in "N" (not a F1 obviously)

9. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I generally open a diet Coke first.

10. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I wait.

It's doing diagnostics, right? Takes 5-10 seconds max. no one is in that big a hurry.

DM

11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Not that big of a hurry but if there is no benefit, why wait? I just turn the key. A little warm up is a different story.

Even in an F1 the clutch is engaged when in "N", assuming you don't have your foot on the brake.

12. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    You don't have to engage the clutch -- as long as you're in neutral, just turn the key. I also don't wait for the systems to clear

13. flipdowt

flipdowt Karting

Dec 13, 2008
    Mahopac,New York
    Full Name:
    John Flip
    i guess it's just a habit from starting my diesel truck, but i wait until the ok light goes on and the noises from the sensors and servos go silent

14. F1dreamer

F1dreamer Karting

Nov 10, 2008
    Atlanta
    Thought that everyone put on their old school Ray-Bans, looked in the rear view mirror and exclaimed, "I feel the need, the need for speed", then turn the key.

15. SpecialK43

SpecialK43 Karting

Oct 12, 2007
    Kzoo, MI
    Full Name:
    K Russell
    My old Dodge wouldn't allow you for at least 3-4 secs until the "wait to start" went away. Sometimes longer if the glow plugs had to put forth some extra effort.

16. RSQP

RSQP F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Beaker
    #16 RSQP, Jun 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
    I just ended my love affair with diet coke. Man, water sure sucks. I'm sleeping worse, takes longer to get going in the morning- what the hell, man. If the Scud had cupholders, this would have never happened!

The diesels had to let the glow plugs warm up so waiting for the "check OK" light to flash is an old habit. I don't see how immediately starting it would cause a problem. Everything should be ready to go, but I still wait for the check light to flip on. Is anything getting primed prior to firing the ignition? I though fuel injection systems and everything else in these cars were designed to remedy that.

17. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

18. cookdesk

cookdesk Karting

Oct 17, 2006
    Sydney
    manual says wait so i wait..

19. bigme

bigme Karting

Nov 24, 2006
    Illinois
    #19 bigme, Jun 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
    Per manual.

**CHECK OK LIGHT DOES THE FOLLOWING**
    By Turning the key in the Ignition to the "II" position the electronic
    system will carry out a series of self-checking procedures on the car.
    if no defects are detected, the CHECK OK icon will light up and thus allow
    the car to be started up.

**HOW TO START YOUR 360**
    1. Ensure that the parking brake is engaged..
    2. Put the gearshift lever in Neutral
    3. Press the clutch pedal all the way down without pressing on the accelerator pedal. Personal NOTE: (Most 360s can be started without pressing the clutch pedal..)..?
    4. Turn the ignition key to the "II" position and WAIT until the multi-function display shows the "CHECK OK"
    5. Turn the ignition key to the "III" position and release it as soon as the engine starts up
    6. IF the engine fails to start, Turn the key back to the "0" position before repeating the procedure
    7. DO NOT run the engine at speed rates over 4000RPM until the OIL TEMPERATURE has reached at least 150-160F aproximately.

hope this helps guys!

20. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    I insert the key, give it a turn and while it does its little diagnostic thing, I use that moment to quickly put the stick in 3rd and then pull it back into neutral...just to make sure it's not in gear.

The 360 will start without the clutch depressed and even while in gear as well!

Oh yeah, a little chant "please no check-engine light"..it's not happened yet, but ya never know when your number is up! ;)

21. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    I wait after the ok light because the f1 pump is usually still going. I wait until the f1 pump has completely stopped.

22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#22 dm_n_stuff, Jun 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    MY theory, and I'm just guessing now, is that if Ferrari didn't think you needed to wait, they wouldn't have put the system in place.

Sure, you say, "But I can start it without waiting, maybe Ferrari should make it so the car won't start at all until the diagnostics are run."

But hell, what woud be the fun in that? We'd have nothing to talk about here.

A little warm up? If by that you mean easy on the throttle until the car is warmed up, then we agree. If you mean, leave it in the driveway warming up, then I don't think the manual suggests that, and most manufacturers specifically advise against it.

Here's what the manual says about that.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Camdon53

Camdon53 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The manual says wait so that's what I do.

24. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    We agree. I generally start the car, wait for the idle to smooth out (maybe 10 seconds), back the car out, get out and close the garage, run into house and grab sunglasses (usually forgot to put in the car), put the top down, off you go. Total elapsed time maybe 1-2 minutes.

I had RTFM but apparently forgot that it said to wait. Maybe I was waiting and didn't think about it. Either way, I will adjust to make sure that I wait.