'77 GTB | FerrariChat

'77 GTB

Discussion in '308/328' started by blmjumper, Jun 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blmjumper

blmjumper Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2006
    Boise
    Full Name:
    Ty
    Just stumbled on this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-308-308-1977-Ferrari-308-GTB_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1205Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem20ac0682b8QQitemZ140325061304QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

It's also listed on Craig's List for $28k

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/1202190567.html

No intel on the car...haven't even seen it around the neighborhood which is odd, as Boise is pretty small.

Don't know if it's glass or steel obviously...but if someone is interested I'd be glad to check it out and give my .02.

FWIW.....

2. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Interesting. You may not be able to get any intel as I don't even think the owner has any...

3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Steel US market car. It could be a nice car but without records etc I would never touch it.

4. blmjumper

blmjumper Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2006
    Boise
    Full Name:
    Ty
    How does one tell if it's steel or glass? VIN number I assume?

I did a quick search here and what I gleaned; it required a close inspection.

5. blmjumper

blmjumper Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2006
    Boise
    Full Name:
    Ty
    ...also, there is only one person in town who will service a f-car. So, if the owner doesn't have any history, maybe the mechanic will.

....ifffffff the owner has had any service done.

6. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    and that appears to be a VERY BIG "IF"...

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Probably an early steel car, like my #20405......

Wrong mirrors, wrong front fender vent color, and goofy tack ons.......

BUT there's not many out there these days, so probably worth tire kicking on it, if interested....

I look at the car rather than records and have on several of them!!! :D

8. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Simplest way to tell if its glass is a seam in the A-pillar. The shape of the rear license plate panel is usually flat as well and in some cars, euro I think, the reverse lights are in the bumper and there is a single exhaust.

Looks pretty in the three small pictures but that means little.

Regards,

Art S.

9. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    This car was originally silver, according to the registry. Maybe Robert can chime in on how he got that info.

10. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    I wouldn't worry too much about records from the PO - we're talking a 32 year old car here so condition is more important than records - however, it's worth running a car fax on it to see if the miles are original. And, obviously, a thorough check of the engine including compression and leakdown is advisable. If the body is solid with no rust then the rest (brakes/suspension/interior) is fixable with some reasonable time and money.

Looks like a nice car. Don't be shy about making a lowish offer - soft market for any ferrari right now. Good luck!

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Could be a gem, looks pretty in pictures :)

12. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    CARFAX can only be run on newer cars with a 17 digit VIN. The current title will show the miles when he registered it. If he has put a few thousand on it since then and it is in good condition and currently runs well, it could be a good purchase for a DIY type. It may need some neglected maintenance such as fuel lines, belts and some other misc stuff. But if you can do it yourself, that will only set you back $1000. Not every car needs to be a Pebble Beach winning concourse car with everything absolutely perfect. I like to take mine to Home Depot, the grocery and everywhere else when weather permits.

13. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    #13 Sean F., Jun 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    please....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    By no means am I saying it is a car no one would want. It's just not for me. Have a ppi done. If it checks out with the ppi you havent any concern regarding previous owners or previous maintenance history, go for it and have fun.

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My #20405 is among the very earliest steel bodied North American spec cars.......so that alone makes them pretty special, IMO.
    At that point in production glass and steel cars were made side by side....the North American glass 308GTBs VINs are well documented.....

It came with complete records since 1981, a single owner...but between 1977 and 1981 it was wrecked, burned, and color changed! LOL! :D :D :D

So you just have to work thru things like that.....it's the best running of my three actually, but more from fate than any thing else......

16. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    +1 Records are nice for some but they drive the price up. I'd rather buy a car on condition rather than paper.

17. blmjumper

blmjumper Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2006
    Boise
    Full Name:
    Ty
    Went for $24k

18. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    great deal if it checked out ok!

19. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I can understand the value of records and PPI, but it's best if you have auto mechanical knowledge and when looking at these mechanically simpler but not too-expensive cars, let's say if you see a Ferrari for a reasonable amount, sometimes you want to be able to check out the car yourself and make an offer instead of looking for your favorite mechanic, fly him in, run all the tests, have him look at the records (if you don't know about car, looking at the records doesn't help you much), during that time frame another buyer can look at the car and find that the car is ok then he can walk away with the car while you are still trying to arrange for a PPI or someone to interpret the records for you. Sure there will be another car but good ones usually go faster.

20. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    +1 totally agree. these cars seem to be best when owned by tinkerer/mechanical types

21. Steven

Steven Karting

Feb 6, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Still on the prowel for a 308 and ran across a 328. All things being equal, 308qv vs. 328, both cars are Euros. Any pluses and/or minuses in comparisons.

22. F&M racing

F&M racing Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    #22 F&M racing, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
    My 77 308 had no records, I didn't let that hold me back. Car ran great and I bought it for a fair price. The car I was going to buy before this one had records, that was the problem way too many, a thick stack of receipts. That bother me more than the one without records. Another one had a clean Car Fax, turns out if was in an accident that was never reported, so much for Car Fax. These are thirty + year old cars, if you like the car and your comfortable with it, buy it.

23. robbie308

robbie308 Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Robert Retzlaff
    Hi Mick,

sorry, I am a bit late on this... but here is where the silver came from:

20971. Silver/red. Blaupunkt Bamberg. 15,000 miles. At FAF,GA. $30,900.
    Ferrari Market Letter August 1979

20971. Silver/red. Offered by Mr. Cochrane in Alabama. $28,500.
    Ferrari Market Letter November 1980

Regards, Robert

www.308gtb.de

24. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That's a shame. I am currently in the market for an early GTB and silver is my favorite color.

25. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Are you referring to the fact it was repainted red, or the fact that it was sold?