Fabergé Eggs...a worthy investment? | FerrariChat

Fabergé Eggs...a worthy investment?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by BlazinBWF, Jun 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    I am thinking about buying this new Fabergé egg made by Victor Mayer that is limited to only twelve pieces and it costs somewhere around $80k. I am only interested in it as somewhat of an investment.

My jeweler believes that in 10-15 years it will be worth 4-5 times what I paid for it. I honestly know nothing about these eggs...I have my grandfathers Patek Phillipe which is worth about 100 times what he paid for it 60 or so years ago but there is a decent amount of collectors in the watch world...for eggs I have no idea.

If anyone knows anything about collecting these eggs and if they are a worth while investment please let me know.

2. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    I would say No. But I too have very little experience with Faberge. That said I would love to collect them but I would only collect the original eggs.

If you would like my opinion on what I would consider a better collectors item with much better possibility of appreciation for your mantel PM me.

cheers

3. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    I would certainly like an original Faberge egg but I do not have $20million or so necessary to buy one.

4. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Things like this are dicey. In my opinion:

If you like it, and have the money, any appreciation is gravy. Art pieces should be bought for love of the piece not speculation.

If it 15 years, its still worth 80k, would you be upset? If so, pass. If not, go for it :)

Best,
    dsd

5. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    While that's not my area, if Salvador Dali prints and originals are any guide, I LOVE them
    and have a decent 'little' collection... and if my grandkids can get back what I paid for
    them I'd consider it successful as an 'investment' - I got out what I wanted - Dali works
    on my wall to look at every day and admire :)

Buy art because you like it - if it goes up along the way, all the better.

Sort of like a spouse :)

Jedi

Ps - if you sit on a Faberge egg long enough, do you get a Faberge chicken?

6. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Save the $80k and you will be able to by a 430 next year. A heck of a lot more fun than an egg.

7. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    LOL!! Ain't that the truth!!

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    This is from a Fabergé Research Site by Christel Ludewig McCanless
    http://home.hiwaay.net/~christel/dealers.htm

In the essay Authentic Fabergé, Fauxbergé, Modern-Style Fabergé: What is it?, two longstanding reputable Fabergé dealers are recommended:

London - Wartski http://www.wartski.com - note how Fabergé made more than eggs, lots more.

New York City - A La Vieille Russie http://www.alvr.com/faberge.html - I'm particularly enamored of the handseals. Inquire within.

These family-owned jewelers have for many years been actively engaged in Fabergé exhibitions worldwide and have published scholarly art history reference books. A partial list of their publications is included in Selected Faberge Bibliography.

Nevertheless, note how happy Tatiana Fabergé is to be at Neiman Marcus - wielding an Ostrich's birth canal nightmare.
    http://www.mieks.com/faberge/new.htm

Note how happy these eggs are to be at said Neiman Marcus, but, like adorable Puppies at a Pet Store, are scratching at glass trying to get into your living room.
    http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/templates/P9.jhtml?itemId=cat000579&parentId=cat000577&masterId=cat11100733

In short - don't put all your eggs in one basket.

9. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    Thanks for the links...I think I will pass on the egg.

Haha you are probably right...too bad I already dropped $250k on one a few years ago...I am almost positive I would have been better off with an egg.

10. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Wax... great info. I love the Eggs, always wanted to collect them but they are so far beyond many peoples reach that it will simply remain a fantasy.

I was going to suggest a nice "Wanlass" piece of automotive sculpture.

Considering many of his pieces are already sold out good luck getting your hands on them. He has won best of show at Pebble Beach and countless other Concours, featured in the White House and museums around the world. He is a legend among automotive artists and most coveted by serious collectors!

Here is a video tour of his gallery and home a must see for any automotive buff! I work very close with Stan, stop by if you are ever in town and ill arrange a visit!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2952196399651612335

Cheers

11. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I was lucky enough to see (and touch) a real Faberge Egg that was and may still be up for private sale. It is amazing that with the tools and technology today people are not able to replicate the quality of the originals.
    It was not close to $20MM. I think it was in the $4-6MM range if I recall correctly