FChat Completed Models and WIP Thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FChat Completed Models and WIP Thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by zoRob, May 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    if anybody has trouble, just ask!
    Enough experienced builders here to help you!

We all have difficulties..
    The only way to learn is by doing it (time after time)!
    Internet has loads of tutorials and tips.

2. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Thanks a lot.

Martin

3. Dino Scuderia

Dino Scuderia Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2005
    Southeast US
    "PS: I love/hate decals!!!"

Me too, been building models 40 years and tried all the tricks but I just have no luck with them.

4. Camoradi

Camoradi Karting

Jun 12, 2006
    Peak District, UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Barnett
    If anybody is having problems with decals two products makes all the difference. 'Micro Set' makes it easy to slide them into place, 'Micro Sol' softens them and makes them conform to curves.

Try Micro Set first as Micro Sol can be unforgiving of mistakes. Use warm water to soak the decal first and when in position a little heat from a hair dryer helps the decal to relax while you work it into position and tamp it down. If there are any areas that are not conforming, then brush on some Micro Sol and work carefully by pressing that area of decal into the curve. I roll out any air bubbles and excess water using a damp Q tip.

Steve

5. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I just started using Micro Sol, looks like I need to use Micro Set first. :) I really only have trouble with the larger decals. I'll post some pics tonight when I get home. It was a great model to practice decals on because there are tons. :) My issues were just getting the decal to position correctly, then they would tear or fold over when I tried to correct them. Looks like this is because I'm using the Micro Sol only.

So the best way is to use Micro Set to place it, then Micro Sol over it to get it to conform? Looks like I need to stop by the store on the way home for some Micro Set. :)

Thanks for all the tips, guys!

6. FIGSTR

FIGSTR Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Reedley
    Full Name:
    The Figster
    +1 This is exactly how i do it

7. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    +2 and me :)

8. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Your kit shelf is like mine. Sad to think I'll probably never finish 1/10 of them.

9. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    #59 Latsyrc, May 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finished the model last night, but have a few little touch-ups to do. The Micro Set REALLY helped on the few decals I had left. In the pics below, you'll see how some are a bit crooked. I was only using Micro Sol with those and coulnd't fix them. Also, the drivers side passenger door decal drooped down after I did the clearcoat. The decal had dried for 2 days and didn't seem to have any bubbles. There was also issues with the hood decal because it was large and I was only using the Micro Sol. I've learned now that I'll put in the headlights then do the decal rather than vice versa. Snagged the passenger side one and screwed it up. :) All in all it was a good build that I learned a lot from, mostly from mistakes. Ty guys so much for the advice. :)

EDIT: Forgot, I didn't glue the body to the frame but it still fits ok. I like to be able to remove it to better show the detailing inside. It drives me nuts to do so many little things and have them covered up. :) That's also the reason the hood doesn't really fit very well. The Michelin tire decals disappeared so they aren't on. There were also 2 little decals on the front bumper by the Baumler decals that are gone.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    does look quite good for the problems you encountered!
    Building is learning while doing!

I have built for a long time, and on my recent project the decals were rubish!
    Thin, bodycolor shined though, letters disolved while clearcoating, the decal-edges were visible after clearcoat. Disaster!
    Had to clean the body from paint and start all over.. which was quite a job being a 1;12 resin daytona..

We all have trouble now and then.. its the endresult that counts!

For some tutorials for building plastic, Alex Kustov, also a member has lots of tips and information on his website!
    www.italianhorses.net

p.s. a good polishingset like Novus or micromesh makes a lot of difference in appearence.

11. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Thanks for the link! A lot cool stuff there. I have Tamiya polish that I'll be using when I get home from work. I use a microfiber to polish with and it usually turns out ok. :) Thanks again for the kind words. :)

12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Like mentioned before, the Tamiya paints take a LOT of time to cure completely. Wait a few days longer till you polish or the texture may come back.

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

13. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Will do. I'll get started on my R10 tonight and work on that for a few days. I'm excited to get to the 959, but I have to do these in order...due to my OCD and convincing my wife to let me purchase them... :)

14. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I've seen a site linked here a few times that has tons of photos of race car engines, interiors, etc. Anybody know what I'm talking about and have a link?

15. RPM

RPM Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
  16. Camoradi

Camoradi Karting

Jun 12, 2006
    Peak District, UK
    Full Name:
    Steve Barnett
    Do you mean this one?

http://www.gurneyflap.com/index.html

Steve

17. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
  18. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    I was eagerly finishing my giallo 360 spider this weekend to post in this thread and the last thing i had to do was stick the exhaust tips on. I was quite proud of it as it was the first i have painted with my airbrush using zero paints but i managed to drop one of the tips as i was trying to glue it and now its fallen in the car and stuck onto something which i cannot see :D DOH!

19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    since I have a real thing and sometimes drop washers or little nuts searching them for hours to prevent $$$$$-damage I'm fairly relaxed when something scale model related disappears :)
    I really look forward to see your results using zero paints. One question; was it easy to obtain the paints ? O.k.; you are in the UK. Was it easy to do business with - I assume - hiroboy ?

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

20. thatkins

thatkins Rookie

Jul 21, 2004
    Coleshill UK
    Full Name:
    Tom
  21. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
  22. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    Yes, very easy. All the orders i have made with hiroboy have arrived very quickly and i would fully recommend him to you. I know of lots of people from abroad who use it too and never have any problems. The paint is pre thinned as is the clear coat and with a bit of polishing my first attempt with it came up quite well.

Hiroboy has very recently had legal problems so you cannot now order 'Ferrari Giallo Fly' like i did, you must order the mixed paint and specify which colour you want.

23. WOLFMAN

WOLFMAN Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Germany and US
    Full Name:
    Gerd W. Brandt.
    I have been using Hiroboy for some time now. There zero paint selection and quality is outstanding, specially when using the paint with an airbrush.
    The paint is shipped to Germany with no problems. The majority of different red colors were used on my built Ferrari F1 kits in 1/43 scale.

wolfman

24. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Fantastic, I have the longtail nr.1!

25. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    #75 Latsyrc, Jun 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Started on the R10 this week but ran into trouble right out of the box... who can spot the problem? :) I'll be making a replacement for the piece below. The body need a lot of trimming to fit right and still isn't perfect, but it's all I can do for now. :)