Ferrari hater thread | FerrariChat

Ferrari hater thread

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Robie, Jun 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robie

Robie Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2008
    Hsiang Kang
    Full Name:
    C. Camillo Negroni
    So I was just in the garage of my apartment complex, peeking under the hood of my 575 to check some things out (not because of any mechanical problems), and I hear (before I see):

"So she's broken down on you has she?" (UK accent)

...says a rather grizzled guy I've never met before who is apparently my neighbor. He parks his Nissan 300Z spider next to my car.

I reply, "no, just checking some things (I was actually looking for the assembly number to post in another thread)"

...to which he replies, "oh, you know, Ferraris are known for ALWAYS having electrical problems. Have you had any?"

"Oh some little things, like seat adjustments and radio controls, but nothing affecting how the car runs," I say.

To which he responds, "well you know, these Italian electronics are TERRIBLE, always having problems..."

"Uh, well actually, the electronics are German...Bosch".

"Really? Oh. Well..."

After which he proceeds to complain about building management, then jumps in his Nissan and drives away.

What's with that? Why do strangers feel like they need to critique something that they don't even understand?

Why can't Nissan and Ferrari drivers just get along?

2. Jimbo49

Jimbo49 Formula 3

Aug 5, 2004
    Geelong, Australia
    Full Name:
    James

I know someone who has a Ferrari and a Nissan :) I'm guessing your neighbor is jealous? some people just love to complain!

3. treventotto

treventotto Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Alicante
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    Some are cliff-divers, others only dive in pools.

4. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    I'll never understand people like this.

just bitter.......

5. Forexpreneur

Forexpreneur Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
    Maybe it's engine envy. :)

6. litespeed1

litespeed1 Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Little Rock,Arkansas
    You would be grouchy/envious and bitter if you drove something as common as a loaf of bread! :)

7. Otter

Otter Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2008
    Franklin,NC
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Real men admire Ferraris, others try to justify why they wouldn't, some like me appreciate lots of different types of cars but have a passion for Ferrari, let the water run off your back, he's all wet!!! Otter

8. CaptOharry

CaptOharry Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2009
    Green Cove Spgs FL
    Full Name:
    Harry Welch
    Well said Otter!

9. edmguru

edmguru Karting

Mar 8, 2008
    N.Carolina
    Full Name:
    Glenn Coggins
    Let me get this straight...an Englishman talking about bad Italian electronics. Has he never heard of the prince of darkness...Lucas.

10. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    Well, if he had a UK accent he is obviously an expert in electrical problems - they don't call Lucas the King of Darkness for nothing

11. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Actually, he is restoring an English car and is looking to see if he can steal some ideas on your Ferrari, they probably booted him out of the Ferrari dealership because he was "IN THE WAY!!!!.

12. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

The reason the guy needs to tear someone else down is so that he feels better about him self. It's also a control thing. Anyway, a guy like that is toxic, always looking for the next person or thing to criticize.

13. Testarossa13

Testarossa13 Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Tony Jr.
    #13 Testarossa13, Jun 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
    I agree with all the above responses.Next time you see your "jealous" neighbor try the reverse psychology approach...Have him talk about how great his 300Z is.See what happens........Ciao

14. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash

Next time you see him tell him yes I was looking at 300zx's on craigslist there was one as nice as his for 6200 bucks...

Then say I tried to buy it but I couldn't get financing..

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It isn't about getting from point A to point B. It's about HOW YOU FEEL while getting from Point A to Point B.

I'm always amazed at how people view what makes a car "good" by how bullet proof it is. OK, so you own a Kia that goes 100K miles without a breakdown. The window switches still work and the AC blows cold. But, for 100K miles you needed coffee to stay awake while driving it. Everytime you start the car, you're mentally making a note about picking up the laundry and making a grocery list. What a waste of life.

16. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    Brilliant Post! I couldn't agree more.

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #17 Bullfighter, Jun 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
    I don't know that it's "hate". Probably just the usual "insights" from someone who has never owned one.

Here's my possibly irrational stereotype of people who own Japanese cars: they assume (1) everything that isn't a Japanese car breaks down frequently and (2) if something breaks on a car out of warranty that is effectively the end of the world.

Currently I have no Japanese cars: I have an Audi and a Ferrari. I assume (1) that an occasional, inevitable glitch is more than worth the enjoyment derived from driving something fun and beautiful; (2) either of my cars is in a condition such that I could drive it across the country this week if I wanted to; and (3) if something breaks it can be fixed.

18. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    I ran into a guy like this just last night. I took my Dino to a local cruise night and was minding my own business and enjoying a sandwich while a group of people were admiring the car. Then up comes this guy out of nowhere who begins to lecture the group on Dino history. He said, "Yes, unfortunately while they are pleasant looking, they are actually quite awful cars". That got my attention. Then he went on, "They are not really Ferraris, you know. They are just named after Ferrari's son Dino. Dino was a nice enough young man, but not really very talented as a driver. He got himself killed driving one of the old man's cars in a Grand Prix race." I nearly choked on my pulled pork. I then went over and introduced myself to the innocent observers and set them straight on the facts. Once the attention turned to me, "Mr Expert" got lost. After a while I decided to go check out the other cars on display and when I looked back over my shoulder, there was the screwball, lecturing a new group gathered around the Dino. I ended up spending all night near the car just keeping this guy in check. Some people are just wired up wrong, I guess.

19. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

So true! So many people just love to complain! Put em on the "ignore" list :) and smile

20. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    what a 1st impression. If he has a dog go say "I heard those breeds are prone to problems and die early..."

21. Robie

Robie Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2008
    Hsiang Kang
    Full Name:
    C. Camillo Negroni
    Thanks guys.

This, David Carradine, some 24 yr old plump girl implying (today, just to keep it topical) that I'm past my prime...where does the abuse end?

Why can't people just accept guys in their "dirty thirties" living in their midst, inspecting their gorgeous vehicles and generally being awesome?

22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Technically, if you're in your thirties, you're past your prime. :(

23. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    If he says something negative the next time that you see him, offer him a ride. Tell him that you're well aware of the stereotypical problems that most outsiders attribute to a car like a Ferrari. But then show him why you put up with those quirks; give him a first hand taste of what makes your pulse quicken. You might just turn him around.

PS Is there a separate thread about the plump girl? :)

24. Robie

Robie Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2008
    Hsiang Kang
    Full Name:
    C. Camillo Negroni
    cold, man...very cold

25. #Lennard

#Lennard Formula 3

Aug 26, 2006
    Zeewolde/Netherlands
    Full Name: