Is this original? | FerrariChat

Is this original?

Discussion in '308/328' started by bigodino, Jun 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #1 bigodino, Jun 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    During my search for a 308 last year I came across a marrone example with a few peculiar interior colours. I never got around asking the esteemed members here about it but the thread about the marrone 328 triggered my memory.

The steering wheel rim was brown and the levers in the centre console had white knobs instead of black ones.
    I did notice the non-original buttons etc on the console but wondered if the brown leather on the steering wheel and the white knobs could have been original. It was a very late 308 GTB Euro carburettor version.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Is the steering wheel brown or just faded? First time I've seen white switches.

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Hmm,
    It looks like the steering wheel matches the stripe in the center of the seats. If you can see light colored stitches in the steering wheel, it's either original or has been re-covered. Otherwise I'd suspect it was redyed.

The white disc knobs have never been reported before, but I seriously doubt they were original. Either painted or else someone had a friend in the plant that molded the knobs.

4. DenisB

DenisB Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2007
    Cape Cod Ma.
    Full Name:
    Denis B.
    Not being negative but.... those knobs look like alcaselsor(sp) tablets

5. scuderiatc

scuderiatc Karting

May 20, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Tee
    Yes, that steering wheel is brown due to fading. As the black dye fades (and/or begins to wear off) the natural tan/brown of the leather begins to show through. I have had the same thing on a number of my cars steering wheels. Its pretty easy to "fix" if the leather itself is not damaged, by just dying it black again, and polishing it. The white stitching is original.
    I have no idea on the switches but I have faith enough in Italian design that they are not original!

6. r48

r48 Karting

Dec 18, 2008
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    R
    Dont think its a big deal! cause its a good steering wheel made by NADI. And oringinal one was made by MOMO.
    The different between NADI and MOMO is the position(angle) when your hands hold on the steering wheel.
    Why I knew it? I have had used them before. ^_^

7. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I was thinking "Tums". ;)

8. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Not true, late 308GTB's (Euro) had the Nardi steering wheel standard. My car (#33007) also has the Nardi wheel.

9. f1lupo

f1lupo Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Johnny S
    ...hmm my stomach has been feeling wheezy lately..thanks for the reminder :)

10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    In all of my research I have never seen the white switches. These switches were used by a lot of British cars some of which used white levers. Chances are someone swapped out the 'pills' as they are known sometime for white ones.

As for the steering wheel it really looks like faded black leather to me.