348 or Testarossa? Any comparisons? | FerrariChat

348 or Testarossa? Any comparisons?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 996, Feb 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 996

996 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Greater Toronto Area
    I've seen some 348 vs 355 discussions on the General Discussions area (and I'm sure that's been debated to death), but has anyone talked about the differences/preferences between a 348 and a Testarossa? The market place seems to have them on-par now with 92-95 348s (SS and Spyders) costing as much as a 87-90 Testarossa...both in the $50-65k US$ range.
    From what I know, the 348 SS was about $117US in 1992, and the Testrossa was over $200K...so they were never meant to be in the same league...but now in the pre-owned market...they seem to be in the same $$ league.

Any comments? I'm looking for my first Ferrari...so I'm looking at both the 348 and the Testarossa as possibilities.

2. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Bottom line is the TR is a heavy car, it's a cruiser. The 348 is a better handling car. It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you plan on going to the track take the 348, if you're gonna cruise take the TR.

I have been at Mosport as a passenger in a TR...That thing is FAST in a straight line and just keeps pulling! But cornering....well, it's just too big. Never been in a 348...yet, but I imagine it is similar in handling to the 328 before it and 355 after it.

3. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I will be buying a 348 as my next sports car......I want a car thats fun to drive around the curves

4. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    996, my neighbor has a 348 spider and another has a 360 coupe. At the cafe on yourkville I get the questions. As for the drive, if you like the 401 and qew as a nice drive go with the TR...if you want to go parking in yorkdale you will most definitely find ease with the 348. Two very different cars, with different purposes. Both are expensive to repair regardless. Im abit partial to the TR becuase it has a bit of a better build quality and it was there flagship car. A 12 will always be a 12. Drive both and see which you like better. And buy what your heart desires...not what others think you should buy, it will make the experience more enjoyable for sure. Good luck and let us know of your purchase.

5. 996

996 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Greater Toronto Area
    Thanks Big Red. I first inclination was to go for the TR....yep...a 12 will always be a 12...and it was the fastest production car when it came out...and one of the top ten cars. However, the rumours of outrageous service bills made me start looking at the 348. The 348 seems a better size for me...the TR seems like a big car. Anyway...I think I'm going to go with the 348 for now...it seems like a better "first Ferrari".
    Thanks again for the advice.

6. 512tr

512tr Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    montreal
    Full Name:
    tony

996. I am speaking from experience when I say that these 2 cars are completely different. I have owned a 328gts, 348 spyder and my present f-car is a 1993 512tr. I felt that the 348 lacked power and looks. I used to get my ass kicked by most of today's american and japanese sport cars (acceleration) . On the track was a different story, it handles the corners a lot better than the TR, but then how many times will you be on a track. As a cruiser the TR is definitely the car, sheer power , sound (tubi a must) a most of all, the look of the car. At ferrari events the TR's usually get the most attention, it is still a very appealing car to the enthusiast, obviously as long as the ENZO is not around LOL.
    That's my 2 cents!!

Good Luck.

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think I'd take the TR for the reasons you mentioned - that it was the flagship and that people *know* that's a Ferrari. Most people can barely recognize a 348, and are thrown off by the strakes thinking only TR's had them. I would come down to your driving preferences too - are the roads you drive straighter, do you drive fast only in straight bursts, do you *really* go to the track often, if at all, etc.?

When you see the two side-by-side, I think it's certain you have to have the TR.

8. 512tr

512tr Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    montreal
    Full Name:
    tony
    Personally, I like the straight bursts (no surprises) and basically the only time you are challenged on the road is when you are cruising on the highway and other sports cars start to taunt you. At 50 mph in a TR, downshift to 2nd gear and open her up, let me tell you I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. This is where the true power of the car comes in, it starts to pull so hard right through 3-4-5 gear. I could imagine even a stronger pull in Maranello taking in to consideration the extra HP. All in all I have to say the 512tr & Testarossa will always draw more attention than even the newer models simply because of ass on the car. I don't think that I will ever part with this car (512TR) even though I am considering adding a F1 360 coupe simply for the newer technology and handling on a track.

A Ferrari will always be a Ferrari.

Forza Ferrari.