Let's Talk High End Shoes...What are your favorites? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Let's Talk High End Shoes...What are your favorites?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by BlazinBWF, May 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    I just bought a pair of Clark's which were just over 100 and I have to say they feel great, as good as more expensive shoes I have had or have.

Usually I am in a pair of sidewalk surfers made by Kona. Cheap and comfortable. feel like slippers.

2. Moving Chicane

Moving Chicane Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    SoCal.
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Just bought two pairs of Allen Edmonds (Ashton and Evanston) at their SCP store; we'll see what they do.

3. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    Aldens are good quality but their lasts are not very stylish.

4. kara

kara Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2007
    Ukraine in dreams/CA
    Full Name:
    Kara, Karalina
    Chanel & Prada seem to fit me the best and are the most comfortable. Which is good because I love the styles they come out with and are great quality.

5. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    John Lobb & Weston.

6. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    #31 Arvin Grajau, Jun 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2009
  7. fivesix

fivesix Formula 3

Nov 12, 2006
    Brisbane/Toowoomba
    Full Name:
    Ryan

8. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    #33 Arvin Grajau, Jun 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've got 3 pairs worn out set,casual set and a new set .
    they never where out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. fivesix

fivesix Formula 3

Nov 12, 2006
    Brisbane/Toowoomba
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    i have a tan, dark brown and a black pair... they last forever...
    RM was a great bloke too...

10. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    That is precisely the point, they are traditional...not trendy.

11. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    #36 BlazinBWF, Jun 8, 2009
    English shoe makers like Edward Green, John Lobb, Crockett and Jones all make very traditional shoes but come in styles that are much sleeker than Aldens.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    vey nice.

13. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    Also considerably more costly and not American made...Additionally. the Aldens fit my foot to a tee..

14. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    You can get Crockett and Jones Benchgrade shoes for about $100 more than Aldens. I personally think it is worth it.

15. f355jimv

f355jimv Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Allen Edmonds for me when at work. Several pairs and wear well.

16. ferio

ferio Karting

Mar 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I like ferragamo's, bruno magli's, and bally's.

17. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #42 UroTrash, Jun 15, 2009
  18. Mickey22

Mickey22 Rookie

Oct 14, 2009
    Well it depends of what I'm after, but Cesare Paciotti impresed me positively now and then.

19. azzkikr9

azzkikr9 Karting

Nov 2, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mr. G
    Depends on who you talk to really...I buy Edward Green, John Lobb on the $800-$1000 range, although I would really love to afford a pair of Kiton's or Lattanzi's but at $3000 and up they are a little out my range. It also helps to shop around and keep in mind patience is the name of the game in finding ultra lux items at heavy discounts. Hit the Saks and Neimans sales and you'll see what I mean. Not to mention the great deals availbale with some eHarberdashers, but unfortunately sizing is hit or miss on those.

20. Hugodv

Hugodv Karting

Jul 7, 2009
    Holland
    I love my Santoni's!

21. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Prada cup and LV sneakers for daily use.

Tods my trusted dress and driving shoes.

22. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    I just picked up a pair of Liberty Boots. IMO very spendy for something I put on my feet but so far I like them. A female friend who is quite the fashionista claims they are the coolest thing she has ever seen. And to be honest, if it wasn't for the fairer sex I would likely be found wearing Merrels, Asolos or something else equally comfortable.

I usually manage to avoid wearing suits to work and spend 97.345% of my life in jeans so high end dress shoes aren't really a big need of mine at the moment. Ferragamo's serve me just fine when I need something a little nicer.

23. JLGB

JLGB Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Social Subscribed

Oct 31, 2009
    Dominican Republic
    Full Name:
    JL
    Bally's are my favorite.

24. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Due to this thread I just bought two pairs of new shoes.

I wear casual oxfords daily (rubber soled) as they are appropriate and comfy. I just picked up a pair of Mephisto's and Allen Edmunds Wilberts.

Much better than my Johnson & Murphys.

Thanks all.

-dsd

25. Kayvan

Kayvan Karting
    BANNED

Mar 29, 2009
    #50 Kayvan, Nov 15, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
    You need 3 basic groups of shoes: Dress, Casual, Sport

Dress:
    ------

Oxford lace-ups $275-425: Churchs Consul or Hilton, Allen Edmunds Park Avenue, Crocket Jones.
    Not wing tips; these are classic with zero dots....only ENGLISH made...not new england!

Gucci Moccassins $450: these are for when you dont want to appear to stiff/old. They are matte black with metal bit in steel or gold.

If you ever go to high end venues, Pebble Beach, elite Golf Clubs (ie, Winged Foot), or overseas (Monaco F1), everyone wears these.

They are the same design for 50 years, and are seen in vintage photos of JFK, Carroll Shelby, and Dean Martin. I have seen them on dot.com execs, wall st. bankers and italian diplomats.

They can be worn with jeans or Savile Row.

ALL Women notice them. They are exceptionally well made, and can last 10yrs min

Casual:
    -------

You need some style here. Unfortunately, Ferragamo, Bruno Magli, Bally etc are a bit too staid and look like your avg. suburban dad trying to be hip. Stay away from the chunky square toe club-shoes too, they wont be hip in 2012.

Prada makes a very sleek, slip on loafer for $450; its very low profile, with zero ornamentation; just two stitches at edge. Its a Cary Grant, McQueen or Bond at the beach-club look. Barneys, Saks, Neimans has them.

Boot: Black Jodpur/Chelsea Boot

These are the ankle high black boots, with thick elastic made famous by Beatles, McQueen, and Rod Stewart. An Australian firm named RM Williams makes them, and they were made for farmimg; now they are polished calf black. VERY hip, worn my rockers today and some rich brits with suits even.

Sport
    -----

One Shoe: Tods Driving Moc $375.

These are the original 'gummi' rubber nubs. You can feel the ridges/contours of the pedals in these, and heel nubs keep you planted in shifts. They are made in Italy from the same tannery family as Ferrari, for last 40yrs. Ferrari has a speacial model made by them.

There are many knock-offs from Clarks, to griots, to jcrew; all are garbage compared to Tods, which can last 10yrs easy. This can also be worn out to dinner, or at the house hosting drinks.

Other:
    ------
    Look to real gear makers. Sperry, LL Bean, RM Willams for boat shoes, camp mocs, or jodpurs boots. They have utility, and can be worn with some style v. the fakes made out there, for not much less. This way you dont look like a dork getting your dress shoes wet at a barbeque, fire roast, or sail day.

Many here will balk at $400-500 for shoes. Bottom line is your paying for quality. Just like your OEM Ferrari parts.

I cant tell you how many time I have seen a guy step out of an exotic car wearing $150 ox-blood Bostonian, Johnston & Murphy or Rockport shoes sold at disounters.

Dress the part, and enjoy the compliments.