360 Top not working-please help | FerrariChat

360 Top not working-please help

Discussion in '360/430' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jun 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I have a friend who will post soon, but I thought I would get this started. She did a search, and noted the hydraulic fluid thread. She actually pulled this out by herself, and filled it with some assistance, but it did not work. Now to the micro switches. I did a search but could not find anything. Can someone please point out this thread or threads, and/or provide some pictures illustration where they are? We are hoping that we can locate the one that is bad, if one is indeed bad, and replace it. It is always a chore to transport a car as the nearest dealer is over 125 miles distant. The top is opening half way, but the back valance is not opening at all.

2. bigme

bigme Karting

Nov 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Does it start to open the rear panel at all? Does the motor stop midway as its opening or is the motor still rotating with no activity happening there after?

There are about 12 micro switches. About 5 of them are in the headliner area. If you pull the black plastic off when sitting in car, you will see those. Also a few other micro switches can be seen if you open the engine lid, on the drivers side - near the arm hinge opening. Maybe try cleaning them - heard dealers use brake fluid cleaners sometimes and then manually excercise the switches.

3. 360blue

360blue Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2007
    Hancock Park
    Full Name:
    adil
    If you see droplets of hydraulic fluid on the ground , than you have ram seals leaking. This can not be repaired but replaced and perhaps both sides. Seals dry up and crak after long winter storage. This happened to me. 3K and some diagnostic agony later it got fixed. I always use the top mechanisim to keep the system lubed up .

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Not sure brake cleaner is a good idea. I would try contact cleaner. You should be able to get it at any electronics supply store. BUT, diagnosis probably requires an SD2 or a lot of trial & error. Good luck.

5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Still sounds like it is rotating and makes a sound like it is under strain. I wonder which switches contrll the opening of the rear valance-deck lid, or whatever it is called. It also look slike the top does not fold in far enough on the back side.

6. rss04

rss04 Karting

Apr 14, 2008
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    I'm having similar issues, the top opens, the valence opens but doesn't seat down fully. After checking the hydraulic fluid and relubricating everything that looks like it hinges or moves, I had no success. Car is going in to the dealer today. Will let you know how it goes.

7. bigme

bigme Karting

Nov 24, 2006
    Illinois
    #7 bigme, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
    have a look at this URL.

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&P=&V=diag&I=736

The micro-switches Indicators for the rear deck is in the Engine Bay Area. Lift the Engine LID open, look on drivers side near hinges, and locate Micro-switches #13(Used to Indicate Lid is Opened) and #14(Used to Indicate Lid is Closed).

Carefully look to see if the Micro-switches are still present(they can come loose), sometimes require adjustments too. On the micro-swithces see if the little metal tabs can be manually pushed in.

Lastly You will not be able to operate the soft top with the engine lid open.

8. rss04

rss04 Karting

Apr 14, 2008
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    #8 rss04, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just got my car back from the dealer, turns out, my top issue was not related to any electronics. Appears that the top is not folding properly and one of the hooks is catching in the canvas. Going in to have this taken care of next week, but anyone else have this issue and how did they take care of it?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login