BMW and courtesy cars? | FerrariChat

BMW and courtesy cars?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Patrick_Bateman, Jun 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Patrick_Bateman

Patrick_Bateman Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2008
    Paint is bubbling on our 335 and I am taking it in tomorrow at 9am, however I start work at 9:30am and was wondering does anyone know if BMW offer courtesy cars? I would call them but they're closed on sundays.

2. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    They do, my buddy took his 7 series in for service a few years back and they gave him an X3 to putz around in.

3. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Depends on the dealership.

Yeah, they offer them but it's a RIDICULOUS manner in which they do it.

I had to get something fixed on my car, I think it was a warning light. I called and they said I could bring it in the following day. I asked about a courtesy car, and they said "ohhhh, if you want one you need to book it in advance". I asked when the next appointment was where I could get a courtesy car, and it was about 3 MONTHS away. When I told them that was ridiculous, they said they had people booking months in advance (for scheduled service). I said "so basically, if I ever have an unforseen problem with my car and need to bring it in, I cannot get a courtesy car"... after some ducking and weaving they acknowledged that I was correct.

Load of BS.

IMO, they can only have so many cars in the shop at any given time... so there is a number of courtesy cars that they could need. If they have only 1/10th the # of courtesy cars they need, then they are knowingly screwing over customers.... yet when you are shopping for a car, they will happily tell you that YES, they offer courtesy cars, and will "forget" to tell you that you need to reserve it months in advance.

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I had a similar experience w/ VW...they "offer" courtesy cars but they're never available, I always ended up in some Enterprise rental car crapwagon instead.

5. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    It depends on the dealer. Some dealers are exactly like that, whereas others will do their very best to scrounge up a courtesy car. In the middle was my Land Rover dealer, who gave me an LR3 with some awful deer landscape scene plastered all over the car. Most helpful was Mercedes Manhattan, who offered pickup and drop off from my garage.

6. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My BMW dealer did the same thing - they had an Enterprise on-site, but even then you had to "reserve" one a month or two ahead. Otherwise, they'd give you a ride home in a Toyota Scion xB. Luckily I had a second car, otherwise the free ride home wouldn't have done me much good.

Wouldn't the dealership want to loan out their newer cars to try to entice you into upgrading? That's what most other makes do, as far as I know.

7. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    I took my last Honda in for scheduled maintenance and since they were out of regular loaner cars they paid for my rental for the entire time I had it plus an extra day since it was inconvenient for me to pick it up the day it was ready.

Jes sayin.

8. Roell

Roell Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Milwaukee
    I sold my Mercedes a year and a half ago, but the dealership, Elmbrook Mercedes in Waukesha, was first rate. I could get a courtesy car on the spot, no fuss, or they would drive me 30 miles to work and pick me up if I asked. Overall a extremely well run place. Probably the service experience I have gotten.

- I do not work for them or anything.

9. Market Mover

Market Mover Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2006
    Glastonbury CT
    depends on the dealer as all have said. For BMW one I know uses exclusively Toyota Camry's the other gives you what ever series you drove in with- just maybe not same size motor. NO need to book deep in advance.

10. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    depends. My dealer will only provide a BMW is the car was purchased there. Otherwise rental.

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Porsche isnt better unfortunately. I didnt even care if they gave me a GM or Ford, i needed a car..but no, i had to book in advance for my leaking exhaust..

12. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

FLOW BMW in Winston Salem offers the courtesy cars with no problem. Maybe its because we're a small town --- but I've never had a single problem getting a loaner (usually a <3000 mile 3-series) for a day or two while service is performed.

13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Same problem at mine. The wait is typically "only" 3 weeks and not over a month. It's still annoying.

The other problem I have is that the "free" oil change claims to be 1 year/15K miles. They refuse to change my oil for free until the service indicator is below 1K miles.

14. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Whys the paint bubbling?

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    When I had my M cars I would always get a BMW loaner...and I never made a service appointment more than 3-5 days in advance...I also get a loaner with my new Mazdaspeed 3 when ever service is needed...

16. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Russel BMW in MD provides loaners no matter what. My dad has taken his 12 year old 5 series (that he bought private party) in without an appointment, and they gave him a brand new 3 series to use each time. I think it is true for most makes, that it depends on the dealer if you are going to get a loaner car or not.

17. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    I always had a BMW loaner when my car needed service. I never had a problem with availability and don't have to book months in advance - it must be the dealership.

18. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #18 agup48, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
    Depends on the dealerships for sure, that and how well you know them. My friends dad has bought plenty of cars from BMW of Austin, and they always give him high end loaners, he has gotten a new M3 Sedan, M5, 750li and a Z4. They own 135i, 335i, 745li, X3, X5, M6 vert.