Starting a clothing line... | FerrariChat

Starting a clothing line...

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Ferrariman355, Jun 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    #1 Ferrariman355, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is something I've been wanting to do for awhile and everything seems to be going well.

It's called Privileged by X.E.M., it's me and a couple of other guys. The fashion industry is a tough business, especially with the economy right now. We're taking our time, perfecting everything.

Hoping for a Fall launch, that's if everything goes well. I'll update this thread with my progress. It's going to be hard, but hope for the best!

Any other people in the fashion industry or experience with their own line?

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    All my best for your venture. I assume this is a 'higher end' line? My wife saw this over my shoulder asked if you have
    any images of your designs online (she's a Project Runway and other such shows addict).

Daring to start a design, manufacturing, and retail business all at the same time in this economy! I hope everything
    works out and you have a fantastic launch.

Jedi

3. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC

Thanks!!! We're in the design phase with our line aiming for a urban modern feel. We aim to have the status of a banana republic, in terms of simple style, great material, and reasonably price. We have some things in the work, but rather show when we finalize everything. haha but wouldn't mind getting her input when that time comes.

I've talked to quite a few brand owners and all of them said it takes time and of course, $$$! Right now is seriously not a great time for a brand to start. Yet, we're not in a rush to make money, just be able to produce something unique. I found my new baby to take care of! haha

John

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Ever seen one of the Original Banana Republic catalogs?

5. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    Outback type correct?

6. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Well, they were no bigger than an index card in height/width - thick enough, though & chock full of bargains - quality material throughout. Long Pima Cotton shirts were "to die for" as they were extremely comfortable... and dirt cheap.

Somebody else had this to say about that;
    http://www.hooversbiz.com/2008/10/01/banana-republic-forgets-its-history-stylishly/

Even while reading this article about catalogs - put the "catalog" aspect out of mind - and grab the writing-between-the-lines about each retailer - this is to help set goals beginning with what you believe to be your demographic.
    http://multichannelmerchant.com/webchannel/email/marketing_best_catalog_concepts/

And, of course, Good Luck in your venture.

7. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    Really appreciate it! Will take a look at it.

John

8. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    #8 BlazinBWF, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
    I am not really in the fashion industry but I am in the imprintable sports wear industry...I know the Cubans who own Perry Ellis because they also own Ping's clothing line. I have a couple of clothing lines but they are far from haute couture.

9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    She's right here with me reading this and says she'd LOVE to give input 'when that time comes' - she's moaning
    that Project Runway is now delayed until August and would love to have some input :)

PM me if you would like to get her email to hook up.

Again, very good luck to you in this venture! (She's beaming!)

Jedi

10. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Best of luck with this mate!! :):)

I would love to make my own line of clothing also!! :):)

I hope you succeed and we see Privileged apparel everywhere. :):)

11. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    You don't mean that range of shorts for men, do you?

12. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    How about sending some clothes to celebrities? Some people track down every single thing these people wear.

13. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I wasnt thinking of THOSE shorts..........but you just gave me an idea. ;);)

14. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh no... no no no no PLEASE! Not THIS thread too!

15. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Bro,
    does your wife like to write about fashion? the latest news etc. .. my gf and some pals are looking for fashionista's.
    PM me.. or I can PM you if you are ok to hear more about it.

Have a great day.

16. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    Maybe add some leggings for the people here in the states in the winter haha.

Thanks everybody! :D

That's the funny thing about clothing lines nowadays. People come out with a robot made with photoshop and paste it on a shirt and if one celebrity wears it...BAM. $75 for a shirt that cost $6 bucks to make. Luckily we have some contacts in the Hollywood business, but still finding ways to make more. The beauty of guerrilla marketing is a great way for us to start off first, since we want the brand to build over time.

John

17. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Hehehehe!! :eek::eek:

18. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Well, I have been in the garment industry in many capacities and worked with new designers often.

Smart marketing is very important. The right time, place or press, and it does not mean you need to be handing out shirts on a red carpet since they don't often wear free giftbag stuff. Those usually go to assistants.

Get out and network, if you aim for a certain status, staying in contact with magazine fashion editors will become very important. Nixon watches are total crap, but every young Hollywood actor-type wore them for a few months last summer building the brand.

19. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    www.privilegedclothing.com

Yes! Website up haha and nothing on there yet! Money doesn't come out of our pockets right now, so doing every little thing I can. The page needs something, there was the idea of having a table with all of our samples scrambled all over, or something else and have the image fade out with the text...hmmmm. Where's that kim kardashian video haha.

But if anybody could do it better or has another idea, that would be awesome.

Last night I completely redeveloped our image, currently writing our About us, so we get the message across of who we are. I like it, something different compared to a lot of clothing lines. I should have it ready by tomorrow or so, want to get your feedback.

Little steps, don't want to be in a rush.

thanks
    John

20. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
  21. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    If you market any 'bowling' type shirts in all cotton, you have a customer....

22. Randy Harris

Randy Harris Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    R.C. Harris
    I was CEO of a trade assn. for the fashion industry for 20 years. I worked within in it in Sr. Mgmt for 15 years before that. I've owned and started my own companies and provide consulting to the industry.
    Happy to give you some free advice. Just PM me and we can hook up.
    Randy

23. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    Thanks everyone, PM's sent.

I got the other guys working on marketing. I'm currently designing the polo and cardigan. Like how it's coming out!

24. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    How are you designing the shirts? Just free hand drawings or computer graphics, what style? If you could post up some designs you have or are going after.

25. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Great to hear, Congrats and Good Luck!

I'm going to keep an eye open for new info on your products and looking forward to seeing designs.

If you plan on making slacks, I hope you consider making a straight leg version because I'm tired of this tappered crap. lol