Ferrari 348 Flywheel/Damper | FerrariChat

Ferrari 348 Flywheel/Damper

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ferrari_348, Jun 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari_348

Ferrari_348 Rookie

Jul 7, 2006
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I was having problems with hot starts and hearing some knocking noise coming from down below so time to investigate.
    To make a long story short it came down to the Flywheel/Damper, when I had it in my hands I could hear loose pieces inside when shaking it, so I opened it to discover that most of the plastic pieces that hold the little springs on the damper where pretty much shred to pieces and floating around in the assembly.

My question: Does anyone know if there are any kits available to replace the parts in the flywheel/damper?

2. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Call Daniel at Ricambi
    http://www.ricambiamerica.com/

--Mike

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Not available but contact plugzit on fchat. He has alot of my old 348 parts which include some old flywheel guts. If you can't find the internals you will have to buy a new unit for big bucks. I have had race proven success with deleting the FW internals and welding the unit up which got rid of just under 10 lbs of rotating mass which mildly improved out of the corner acceleration. Do a search I have posted on that before.

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    The 348 Parts Manual only shows the flywheel as an assembly, does NOT show the internal parts at all, but it also does not show the Kluber grease although it's obviously available from them. The Workshop Manual has nothing to say about rebuilding or even regreasing the flywheel, although they do show a quantity (incorrect) for the grease.

Somewhere (at Voith??) there are probably boxes full of the internal components, but I've never heard of anyone being able to acquire them.

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    It would be interesting to meet the person responsible for this odd mechanical marvel and pick his brain regarding it's reason for being.

It seems an anomaly in the automotive world (I'm not familiar with other examples of this type of flywheel in use).

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Send a pm to randyleepublic, he was working on a solution and may be able to machine you up some new plastic guides.

7. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Is this a single disk or dual disk clutch in your 348. there are virtually no parts left for the single disk units and will likely need to upgrade to the dual disk unit which will require the remaining clutch pieces as well.
    Generally the plastic pieces become destroyed as the springs wear and the unit begins to shake much more than designed and smashing against the stops. We see one or two a year and upgrade to the dual disk units. Even if the single disk flywheel is in good shape the dual disks are worth the upgrade.
    Good luck.

8. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    +1... Unless you can find reasonably-priced spare parts, I would think you could find a shop to reproduce them. Of course, you have to have good samples to reproduce, if all of yours are destroyed. Let us know what you find, and welcome to Ferrari Chat!

9. Ferrari_348

Ferrari_348 Rookie

Jul 7, 2006
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dino
    It's a dual disk clutch.

I'm still looking around, I sent a few pm's to some fchat guys as suggested and see what comes out of that. A big thank you to all for your help, greatly appreciated. I'll keep you posted on the end result.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Interestingly enough in this case it seems Ferrari copied the Germans. They have been using those stupid things going a long way back. Most recently on BMW I believe. Ferrari would be far better off if they just forgot Germany existed. It is the source of most of the more serious problems they have.

11. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    For anyone with a 348 hot start problem, do the patented, world famous No Doubt hot start test before removing your flywheel (because hot start problems aren't always due to a bad flywheel or grease issue).

Start your 348 cold, drive until hot. Now pull over and turn off the motor. Within 10 seconds after the engine stops, attempt to restart.

If your 348 restarts easily on the first try at this point, then you DO NOT have a flywheel/grease hot start problem (more likely culprit is a bad fuel pressure regulator or two).

To confirm a fuel pressure issue, turn off the motor and wait for 2 minutes. If your 348 is now difficult to restart, then check your fuel pressure regulators.

This is a free test. It requires no wrenching.

< /end No Doubt hot start test >

12. chevro

chevro Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    Quebec,Canada
    Full Name:
    serge
    Hello!, i have the same problem looking for the internal plastic guides ,did you find some?

Tank you!!!!

Serge

13. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    I've been waiting for someone to reproduce those internal pieces. But as stated above, you have to have like-new pieces to copy from. The wait continues . . .