355 High idle and low oil pressure | FerrariChat

355 High idle and low oil pressure

Discussion in '348/355' started by tim355, Apr 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tim355

tim355 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    I replaced the timing belts/tensioner bearings in my car and am very sure the timing is correct. Put everything back together and the car seems to run great except my problem is that the idle is very high, 2000 RPM and my oil pressure starts out at 70 PSI climbs to over 130 then drops to below 30 PSI, no lights. Now I know the high idle would indicate a vacuum leak but I have taken off both intake plenums twice and check everything I can think of but I still can't find the leak. now I'm wondering if there is some correlation between the high idle and low oil pressure. Any suggestions? Ideas? I hate to take it to the dealer if it's something simple.

2. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    If you just changed the oil on the car; synthetic oil id very thick and it takes a while for it to loosen up. You will see an increase in pressure after driving the car for 100 miles or so. I had the same problem after the 30k service.

3. 355Aussie

355Aussie Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    George
    It could be the idle regulator. If it is a 2.7 there are two at the end of the plenum covers so changing these from side to side may show you which one it is, Try looking at these.

4. tim355

tim355 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    yes I have a 1995 (2.7 model) swapped the idle regulators without any change. the regulators seem to be working, (humming with the key turned on) I also tried disconnecting the regulators electrical connections and the idle is still high.

5. notbostrom

notbostrom Formula Junior

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    this may sound silly but end play at the TB end of the throttle cable? have enough end play????

6. tim355

tim355 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    nope, disconnected throttle cable. still idles high.

7. notbostrom

notbostrom Formula Junior

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    OK well easy enough to try.. I'd go back to the simple stuff first..

not sure on 355 but is there a screw type adjustment for the TB closed position?. air has to be getting in for the idle to go up.. if not the TB itself air is getting in some place else.. just thinking out loud

8. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    The oil guage stuff sounds like and loose connection or earth somewhere?

I know you say that you have taken the plenums off and check but have you done the CRC test for vacuum leaks?

Just get a can of CRC or any spray can with a hydrocarbon propellent (preferably not paint), start the engine and start spraying in all the hard to reach places around the plenum, hoses etc.

If you have a leak you will hear the revs rise and get smoother when you spray the leak area.

9. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    ....or temp senders and TPS's not getting the correct data to the ECU's.

Connections at the rectangular plug behind the LR shock tower can muck up the pressure readings a bit as well.

10. tim355

tim355 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Well I finally took the car to Ferrari Of Seattle. They found the #6 throttle body was cracked around the circumference. It was impossible to see, until they began to tighten down the nuts that hold the throttle body down. I'm happy they found the problem!

11. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    WOW!!! That seems a strange problem. Are they going to weld it up or replace it?

12. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Interesting, never heard of that one before. :D:D

Have you or they got any pics mate?? Would love to see it. :):)

13. tim355

tim355 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    They are going to try and weld it. New ones cost $1800. I don't have any pics to post, sorry.

14. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cool, hopefully they have a win welding it up. :):)