Flashing Slowdown Light 360 Spider | FerrariChat

Flashing Slowdown Light 360 Spider

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by alex360S, Jun 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I own a '02 360 spider and was out today on a long drive. From time to time I would get a flashing "Slowdown" message and always erattic to start flashing. Usually after 5 min or so it would stop. It did this 3-4 times until I pulled into the garage while the light was not flashing anymore. I left the car to idle so I could check to see if the cat was red but all seemed O.K. As I went to shut the car the light started to flash again and stopped after a few minutes. What could be the cause of this warning? I've done some research but with no real conclusion. Is it true that a solid "Slowdown" light is usually a bad cat and a flashing one is usually a thermocouple or cat ecu or bad O2 sensor? What would be the proper course of action for troubleshooting and part replacement? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alex.

2. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Did you happen to glance over your oil temp gauge to see what the reading is? These Ferraris have really crappy oil temp sensors, when it reaches 230 degrees it goes crazy and jumps all the way to red and back, this could also cause a slow down warning light.

3. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    All gauges were fine. Oil temp and coolant temp below halfway point and oil pressure at halfway point. Car ran fine and no glowing cats.

4. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Took the car to the dealer and obviously the car stopped showing the "slowdown" warning. There were no codes or faults saved in the car's computer so they proceeded to test all the O2 sensors and thermocouples, and obviously everything was O.K. Took the car back Friday and no messages. Drove it Saturday and after a spirited drive while stopped and idling the "Slowdown" flashed briefly and I got a "check engine light right after. I pulled the code and it is a P0174(system too lean bank 2). I did some research and discovered that this condition could be caused by a vacuum leak, dirty or malfunctioning MAF sensor, faulty coolnt temp. sensor, or fuel pump problem. I have been complaining to the dealer of a vacuum leak noise since last year but it was never rectified. Could this lean condition also bring up a "Slowdown' warning? Everytime these warnings come about I feel like were chasing a ghost. If anyone has experienced a P0174 or P0174, please let me know what the problem was and what solved the problem. Please help!

5. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #5 alex360S, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I decided to clean both MAF sensors as many have suggested and while putting everything back together I decided to investigate my vacuum leak noise. After 1 min I see a vacuum hose hanging down and as I put my thumb on it the noise disappeared. This hose (part#126342) is connected from the driver side intake manifold to the oil disareator. Could this have been the cause of my "Slowdown" warnings and my latest "check engine" code P0174?? In the pictures you can clearly see that the hose was supposed to be connected to the brass union attached to the manifold.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The vacuum hose most definitely caused the lean condition fault that was set. Kind of hard to say if it would cause a slow-down light to come on.

The oxygen sensor would have told the injection ECU that the car was lean (which set the fault), and the ECU would have richened the mixture up to compensate for the leak. I would not think that it would cause the cats to get hot enough to flash the slow-down light.

Plug the hose back on, clear the faults and then test drive it. If the slow-down light comes back on, you will know that it was unrelated.

7. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks for the reply. I already plugged it up but will leave the fault on for the dealer to investigate. Now that the hose is where it is supposed to be, will the car computer recalibrate the fuel-air mixture(fuel trim values) over time or will the computer have to be reset?

8. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The computer will automatically recalibrate the fuel trim just through normal driving.

9. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    But you still need to have the error erased to clear the engine lamp. Good going finding that fault by the way!

10. Euromog

Euromog Karting

Apr 5, 2009
    Oakhurst, CA
    Full Name:
    John Wessels
    Actually the Motronic will keep testing for the same fault. If it sees that the "problem" went a way it will turn the light out by itself. The code will still stay in memory until it is erased by a scan tool. This way of getting the CEL light turned off is nice because all of the test monitors will stay in the ran and complete state. Saves having to drive the car for all the monitors to run if you need to get a smog inspection. The state of CA allows four monitors to have not run to pass a smog inspection. I like to know that three or less have not run before sending a car for a smog inspection.

11. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Alex,

Did you have your oil changed recently?

12. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Oil was changed right before the winter storage and levels are OK. I went to the dealer and the technician told me that the vacuum hose being unplugged definitely caused the lean condition which was confirmed by the SD2 readings of the O2 sensor values on bank#2. Bank#1 had no errors. He also confirmed to me that this situation was the culprit to my "Slowdown" warning. I guess the hose came undone when they changed my vacuum hoses feeding the left and right solenoides on the secondary air circuit, another check-engine issue that lasted 4 trips to the dealer before solving. Fix one thing and screw up something else!!! I drove the car extensively yesterday on three occasions and no messages or CEL's. I will continue doing so and go back to the dealer to have them read the values on O2 sensors etc. and make sure everything is on the up and up as suggested by them. Their support has been great irregardless of the number of trips to and from the dealer. I've also decided to change both cat ECU's as a precaution. Purchased them Sunday from Ricambi and installed them yesterday. Great people and great service!