New Boater | FerrariChat

New Boater

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by cove26, Jun 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi all,

I have never owned a boat before and I am considering getting into it, but I hear so many bad things and good things about ti and don't really know what to believe. I love the water and being out on the water. I have been on friend's boats and love it, but then again I didn't have to pay for the maintenance and fuel etc....

Can you guys provide some insight into the pros and cons and costs associated with boats. Also, any recommendations on boats. I am looking for something really no larger than 35 feet, preferably pre owned since I don't want to drop $200,000 on something that I am not sure if I am going to like or not. I do like go fast boats but I think something that I can sleep on for a weekend getaway with the Mrs. would be better suited.

Thanks for all of your anticipated help!

Mike

2. Market Mover

Market Mover Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2006
    Glastonbury CT
    Mike where will the boat be used/docked primarily? CT river, LI sound, Atlantic ocean--big difference in what you should be looking at. Definitely used is the way to go and since you are unsure about ownership in the first place I would get something with a little more room as in a Cruiser/Fishing boat than in a Go fast style. It will allow you to have some friends down to just hang around on the boat plus it will have more of a vaction home feeling than a triple engined race boat :)
    there will be a boat to meet all of your needs and they are definitely not cheap to own and operate, but for some they are a second home or their daily life from May to October.
    compare:
    http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/photo_gallery.jsp?slim=broker&lang=en&ywo=petzolds&hosturl=petzolds&units=Feet&id=1660005&back=/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp&boat_id=1660005

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/photo_gallery.jsp?slim=broker&lang=en&ywo=petzolds&hosturl=petzolds&units=Feet&id=2078176&back=/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp&boat_id=2078176

some have more space in the back for outside activities, some have more down below for sleeping,eating,relaxing.

What is the boat your friend owns?

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    This is not a small decision. You need to find someone local to you who really knows what he is talking about. Then decide exactly what it is you want to be doing on this boat and decide which one based on that. Little things like 25 more gallons of fresh water storage (a couple showers) can skew your options by 6 figures in a quick.

4. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would be looking to operate the boat in the Ocean as well as fresh water if that could be done. Eventhough I love the go fast boat looks and performance, I think a cruiser would be much more practical. Friends of mine had go fast boats so I haven't been on a cruiser type boat.

5. Market Mover

Market Mover Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2006
    Glastonbury CT
    Mike where in CT are you?
    when you say ocean and freshwater does that mean you want to put it in a lake? or just cruise it up some of the rivers that connect to the LI sound? A boat the size you mentioned would not be a trailerable candidate and picking the right marina could make the difference between enjoying and hating boat ownership.

6. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I currently live in Central CT. I would like to cruise on some rivers, Long Island sound, out to Block Island, Martha's Vineyard. I don't know much about boats or owning boats so that's why I'm wondering what I should know before jumping into it. Can you go from fresh water to salt water? Maybe it's a stupid question but alot of things I see say Fresh water only.

Thanks for al your help!

Mike

7. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Buy a small boat with a good name that you can resell in a year to get what you really want and will use. Until you have some experience with the waters, how you are going to use the boat, how many people on it, maint requirements and so on you don't have enough history to make a decision. There is no perfect boat, they are the most compromised thing I've owned. What's good for bar hoping can suck for going to the vineyard. Want to sleep on it? That adds about 3x to the complexity.

I love my boat but there is a reason you see so many of them sit fallow.

8. #Lennard

#Lennard Formula 3

Aug 26, 2006
    Zeewolde/Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Lennard
  9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Go fast boats are like cars in the sense that you take it somewhere and come back. The problem is, once you're there, you got nothing! Your kidneys, gas budget and your wife will scream for you to sell it too! Why do you think you can find tons of them for 50 off that are only a couple years old?

If you're planning to trailer it around make sure the vehicle you plan to use/buy has sufficent tow capacity cause if the boat you want is over 7500# you're limited.

10. rboost

rboost Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Santa Clara, Ca
    Full Name:
    Reiny B
    I would be more than happy to help you with any questions, been in the business for 20 years. We do Certified Pre-Owned Boats...primarily Sea Rays. Send me a PM with your questions and I will advise you along the way.

Regards

Reinhard Boost
    General Manager
    MarineMax Inc.

11. vteqe

vteqe Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Mike,

I would strongly suggest that you take some boating courses i.e., Coast Guard Aux course, United States Power Squadron, etc. If you plan on voyaging to Block or out to Nantucket you will need some navigation, seamanship, rules of the road, etc. expertise. Weather can get real strange out their especially if you are in the wrong boat.

12. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    Not sure what their prices are now, but, Formula makes some 35' stuff that not only will get you from point-a-to-b at a decent speed, but, rock
    solid and safe...........excellent quality. (plus good creature comforts for the nice weekend outing). The 310SunSport still hsa a sport look to it
    but with a 9'6"beam, so plenty of real-estate and room and will cruise plenty fast..........or.......... their 353 FasTec, but its a narrow boat.

WHATEVER YOU DO............dont let someone talk you into something that is under-powered. You will (sure) save $$$ but take forever
    to get somewhere, and kill the life of the engines because you will need to push them more. (And on the other side). Keep away from the
    "high strung" motors.

13. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for all your help folks

14. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    don't be fooled into thinking you'll use the boat for cheap weekend getaways...

on a 35' sport cruiser its really easy to burn throgh 200 gallons of fuel... dock fees where you're going... and you're paying more than for a hotel

buy a boat because you love boating... buy the boat that does what you enjoy about boating...

buy used

consider a repo... tons of them out there currently...