Motor mounts are in | FerrariChat

Motor mounts are in

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ferraridriver, Jun 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I finally got around to replacing the motor mounts. With the front bumper off for repairs I thought it might be easier besides I have nothing better to do, wife is in London or Paris taking two grand daughters on a tour.

I wouldn't want to work in a Ferrari shop no matter how much they paid. I'm all sore and worn out. It took about 4 hours going slowly and checking the internet every so often. A good guy that has done it before could probably knock it out in an hour and a half, I don't know what flat rate is.

Next job is to replace the front shock mounts with my design like I did on the rears.

That's a job for tomorrow though, my arms are tired.

2. Euromog

Euromog Karting

Apr 5, 2009
    Oakhurst, CA
    Full Name:
    John Wessels

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Except to be fair Dave you still aren't done.

Jobs not done until it is in condition to give back to the customer.

4. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #4 ferraridriver, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
    I get paid for thinking about it time, looking it up time, trying to find a shortcut time, coffee time, internet time, and general *****ing about the designer time, not to mention my R&R time.

Thing is my hourly rate sucks.

On edit: Bubbles all gone now, works like it should, Thanks Brian, what kind of wine do ya like, I'll have a glass in your honor :)

5. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I keep being told my motormounts are fine, even though I've got 41,000 miles on the clock. Is that possible?

6. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You have different mounts, lucky you.

Mine were replaced at 15,000 by the dealer that sold me the car, trouble he replaced them with the same part instead of the updated 575 mounts. I had the mounts already so I just went ahead and put them in.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Allan- Bad motor mounts are not going to bust an oil connection or leave a really good impression of an engine in the hood insulation on your car. They will on a 550.

Trying to remember when the mounts were upgraded on the 456M. Might have to look it up, I guess. It is in here somewhere.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

8. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #8 2000 456M, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
    Hi, Terry. I think I checked once and found that the changeover occurred in late 2001 or thereabouts, which would put my car too early in the production cycle to have gotten the upgrade. I asked the mechanics (two different shops) first at the 30K service and then a year later when I had 38K on the odo. (FWIW, thanks to the carbon fiber hood, there is no padding. My 330 GTC had a diamond quilt silver pad, IIRC).

9. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Oil?

thninking the steering rack would be more of concern, not heard of oil connections being an issue.