Valve Cover Bolts | FerrariChat

Valve Cover Bolts

Discussion in '348/355' started by blue986, Jun 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blue986

blue986 Karting

Oct 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Have a small oil leak around the valve cover gasket so i want to re-torque the bolts. Anyone have the torque sequence and torque value for said bolts?

Thanks

2. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    These are 6mm, and torque value is 6.5ft lbs. Easiest to use an inch-pound torque wrench and use 78 inch-lbs for better accuracy. I don't know of a specific sequence, but I think the most sensible way is to use the same basic method as for a cylinder head. Start in the center of the valve cover, and move out, in a spiral pattern. I feel this allows the cover to expand from the center as you tighten, and helps prevents any areas of the cover from warping as you tighten. I've never thought about it, but it may even be a little better to tighten them after the engine is warmed up. Not sure if that's true, though. HTH.

3. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    We use spark plug feel torque - tighten snugly then add a quarter. Go from inside out. Use common sense and feel.

4. blue986

blue986 Karting

Oct 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Thanks Guys, that should do it.

-Matt

5. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #5 brian.s, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
    no magic, it will need the gaskets replaced. I have RARELY if ever had any success from just tightening down on many of these cars.
    But give it a try.

6. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    +1 Brian if there is a leak it's a gasket not a loose nut/bolt. Secondly they are nuts on the valve covers not bolts and they are 10mm not 6mm :)

7. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Actually, the cover studs are 6mm with 6mm threads. The nuts require a 10mm socket or wrench. But the 6mm size of the threads determines the tightening torque. The threads are what will strip out if you overtorque, not the 10mm lands on the nut. :)