As Jonathan Quayle Higgins III would say, "Oh my GOD"! | FerrariChat

As Jonathan Quayle Higgins III would say, "Oh my GOD"!

Discussion in '308/328' started by PittsS2APilot, Jun 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We were discussig it in another thread "Looking for 308GTB" that does appear to be a nice one, a shame the speedo didn't break around 28K miles!!!! :D :D :D

At least you know it works!

2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Too bad its red ;)

3. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    'Glass cars began and ended in 1976, with some late-1976 cars being Steel unibody when the factory cut-over.....somebody explain how a 1977 car left the factory with 'glass coachwork.

4. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That car has actually been listed several time on ebay over the last month.

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Transport time...many 1976 were titled as '1977', as was my November 1976 production steel one....

As Tom S. told me once "never say "Never"" when discussing Ferraris..

You'll note this one DOES have a rear license indent, often another "sure sign" of a steel body...

*shrugs shoulders*

Drop by there with a magnet, somebody!

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They also BEGAN with 1975 show car and testing mules produced ...so there's some of those out there, also.

Most recaps show 1975 -1977 production, check the GTB Registry to see what I mean....

7. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Glass cars were still made into mid '77 but were all European market cars, but there was definitely an overlap of glass/steel cars being manufactured. Ferrari typically made cars in batches of 20 (pretty sure) for each market and type which is why we see US serial numbers batched with other US serial number unless it is the car the started or ended that particualr production batch.

Check the 308GTB registry and you will see the serial numbers which overlap for steel/glass cars. The list is also incredibly comprehensive in case you are wondering where your 308's brother or sister might be.

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    We're in the minority.

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There was a big overlap of glass and steel. I know of at least one fiberglass car built around November of 1977.

10. milby1

milby1 Karting

May 26, 2008
    USA
    I will try and scope this out in the next week. These guys always seem to have prices about a standard deviation above the mean and do not have the greatest rep locally, from my small sample size.

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Fixed thread title. Johnathan Higgings?

12. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Didn't all 'glass cars leave the factory with a single-pipe exhaust? When did they cut-over to quad-tipped pipes?

13. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Euro carb cars had single pipe exhaust. Quad pipes was a US addition for the thermal reactor mufflers, steel or glass. A popular upgrade was of course the Ansa quad pipe exhuast which many Euro owners upgraded to. The other myth with glass cars you should know of is weight. Glass cars did not have a huge weight advantage and were maybe 20-30 pounds lighter if that.

14. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Looks like you are right there. chassis 21289 is listed as the last glass car with a build date very late into 1977.

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Brian has researched the VIN numbers for quite some time.

My knowledge is based upon both the Registry, which clearly shows the production "overlap", and years of reading various sources on the history of the model.

The North American spec 'glass VINs are pretty well documented, but what you have to understand is that in those years production for the worldwide markets was a wide open hodgepodge and "anything could happen". Recall also the many racing efforts by Ferrari in Europe to popularize the new model. That's why you see so many racing variants still active on Tracks today!

While the 'glass cars are sought after for rarity, the other thing to know is they were always considered "interim" IMO until the tooling for the steel panels came on line. Many accounts of the day show them to be unpopular in the market. An "Italian Corvette" if you will ........IMO again only, the steel cars show a little tighter tolerance on body fitment, and finish...of course, many "vettes have also been reworked to a very high standard so if you have the time you could probably get to that too with a 'glass 308GTB.

*shrugs shoulders*

16. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

I have heard that same arguement before, and I heard it once directly from the horses mouth; aka, the original owner of my car.

The original owner stated he had TWO seperate glass 308GTBs to his specification offered to him in '76 but he and anyone he knew refused to take them because they were fiberglass. When a steel car was finally available he stated the finish was much better and you could tell immediately, but just to be safe he brought a magnet with him anyway lol.

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They could pull the molds for 'glass right from the clay styling model...

You'll also recall Ferrari was in pretty dire straights at the time productwise, the GT4 never got styling acceptance from the Bertone design, the 512Boxer wasn't US legal...

The 308GTB really saved the company, IMO when it hit the car shows to worldwide acclaim.

And the rest is history!! LOL!

The widely published number is 712, but another book I have cites a number over 900 total, on the 'glass 308s, still in any measure not many!

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Supposedly my #20405 was also "side by side" on the showroom with a 'glass example...

A shame it's Original Owner info was lost, as to WHICH dealer that was!!!!