Capristo Stage III or Tubi Evolution? | FerrariChat

Capristo Stage III or Tubi Evolution?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Coolhand, Jun 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coolhand

Coolhand Karting

Mar 30, 2007
    Overland Park Kansas
    I was about to pull the trigger on a new Capristo Stage III exhaust, to replace my current Tubi muffler, but this new Tubi Evolution has piqued my interest. I haven't heard the new Tubi Evolution exhaust, but according to the description it seems like it basically operates the same way as a Capristo muffler. I like my current Tubi muffler, but honestly I'm looking for the loudest, most obnoxious sounding exhaust out there while still retaining all the emissions equipment so that the car can pass a smog test. What I'm going for is I want it to sound like the Mulsanne Straight at Le Mans when I drive by, so the "basic" Tubi has grown a bit subdued for my tastes. Does anyone have any direct experience with the Tubi Evolution? Are there any good, high quality sound clips of the Tubi Evolution out there? What is the price of one of these new Tubi Evolution exhausts?

2. vancoops456

vancoops456 Karting

Dec 21, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    A. Van Coops
    If you are looking for obnoxious then I think that the Capristo is better for you. I haven't heard the evolution but I do know that the capristo that I have is too loud for normal driving and I even see people behind me plugging their ears at stop lights. From the sounds of the Evolution it looks like bypass closed situations it will sound just like yours.

3. Lagerlout

Lagerlout Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    West Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Mr. LL
    L3 Capristo de-cat is the loudest exhaust I've ever heard so if you go for that I'm sure you won't be unhappy. Pure F1. It's an animal.

4. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    #4 Robin, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
    I'd check out both in person before buying, since it's hard to gauge these things in videos. The Capristo is loud, but it completely alters the sound. IMO it takes away the metallic wail and makes it sound much more.. well.. Honda-ish. There, I said it :) Not a fan. I haven't heard the new Tubi, but the standard one on the other hand appears to beef up the stock sound, which is good as is, just a bit meek. I'm probably the only one who thinks that, but since you're looking for input, there it is...

5. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I have to admit, I have never, ever heard the Capristo on a 355 compared to anything Honda makes, except maybe a sportbike or their old F1 car.

My L1 is equivalent to the standard Tubi when the valve is closed. When the valve is open, it is the closest sound to a current V8 F1 car of any road car I have ever heard.

The L2 is f-n loud. The L3 supposedly makes earplugs a necessity. I think I will be able to hear it here in VA. I simply cannot image you would be disappointed.

6. alfonso

alfonso Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    forget tubi & capristio get a real sound and order yourself a x-ost le mans nothing like it!!!

7. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    I know exhaust tastes vary greatly, but tons of car guys on the road have said my 95 355 w/ Hyperflows and Capristo Stg 3 is the best sounding Ferrari they have ever heard. I received the car like this, so I can't take credit. I did put in Fabspeed headers, and that made the sound a bit deeper, but still a hoot in the tunnels. I've never knowingly heard a Tubi or the new hot Tubi version but they're probably both good, given their history. In a nutshell, the Cap 3 will certainly irk almost everyone around if you live in hippy-ville like I do. If not, get ready for some red-light racers in built Camaros. My favorite thing in the world is when a Prius driver looks over and makes the "stinky face," followed by a deafening rev in their open window. Sorry, I can be a ***** sometimes, especially to "holier than thou" tree-huggers. However, I do recycle all my beer cans.

8. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    yeah, a L3 is a lot for a spider, but on a GTB it's juuuussssttt riiiiiiiighhht. L2 or 3 for the spider if you have huevos grande. And none will sound like a Honda.

9. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    my kind of person, the libs of san fran would absolutely hate me! i currently run a mille miglia with no cats, it would be pretty damn disturbing to the nut jobs you live around.

10. Coolhand

Coolhand Karting

Mar 30, 2007
    Overland Park Kansas
    Mechanically speaking, what is the difference between a Capristo Stage I, II, and III?

11. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Stage I = loud
    Stage II = louder
    Stange III = loudest

:D Hehehe

12. CT 328 GTS

CT 328 GTS Karting

Jan 31, 2006
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have stage III with Hyperflow cats and it sounds great. LOUD but great..........

13. Coolhand

Coolhand Karting

Mar 30, 2007
    Overland Park Kansas
    I already have Hyperflow cats, and I love them. All of this endorsement for the Capristo Stage III is certainly influencing my thinking. Anybody want first dibs on a used Tubi muffler?

14. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    The 355 I got a ride in recently had the 'new' Capristo, whatever that one is. Saying it sounded like a Honda is probably a bit unfair, as it did sound good, just nothing like a 355 normally sounds. Instead of a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA it was more like a PPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTT :)

15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    tubi with tubi test pipes is pretty insane. i was out with a bunch of cars, including an enzo, and more than one person thought my 355 sounded the best out of the bunch.

16. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    +1 .......... the 355 F1 sound is gone on the Capristo Race version ........ I really like the large 20+ RWHP gains of the Capristo Race but not so much the sound .... :(

That is one big reason why I am actually gonna make gothspeed version II exhaust for my 355 ............ it will use existing 355 manifolds and cats ....... it will delete the y-pipe ........ and will have an unholy F1 wail ............. that will make not only the hair on your neck stand up ........ but the hair on you entire body stand on end .............. :cool:

17. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #17 davey_jones, Jun 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have not heard a Capristo in person.
    But I did find and install an original Ferrari Challenge exhaust (which was half the Capristo price) a couple weeks ago and
    ... all I can say is.. WOW!!!!!!! This thing SCREAMS!!!

** I might be able to get another new one if anyone is interested.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    In the long run, I believe that is the best combination. I will soon be installing the tubi headers. Tubi builds long lasting and great sounding equipment.

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Given I have tubi test pipes and exhaust, any idea if and how will the headers impact the sound of my car?

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    any1 in westchester county NY have a capristo? id love to hear one live.

21. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #21 Neonzapper, Jun 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  22. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #22 355, Jun 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I should have mine done in the next month or so. The tubi headers are not just put together like many other headers whos names I wont mention. They actually have engineering and testing behind them and are supposed to be good for about 25 more cavalinos, but I think more like 15 to 20. I wont be putting it on the dyno so it will be hard to tell. I may also have my cams set to challenge spec as well so that may void my opinion on the headers HP wise. Shortly after I will also be trying various chip sets out to see which ones I like better. I am now in the middle of installing the gold connectors set from Dave Helms and that already is making a difference. But I will let you know on the sound of the tubi headers though. It will be tough to make it better but we will see. Massimo Conti seen in the pic below making out with Mike will be doing the work on my car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I actually have test pipes with Tubi exhaust, Tubi headers, Kreissieg upper pipe, and Gruppe M intake. I did things in various stages, but I can say that the Tubi headers actually made it a bit quieter (probably because my stock headers had 1" holes in them...) but MUCH 'crisper' if that makes sense. A friend of mine was driving behind me after I had the headers installed and claimed it sounded a whole lot better than before. He used words like clean, pure, crisp, etc. It's very racy, but not obnoxious. It's definitely my favorite combo aside from the full Gruppe M system, which is quite nuts. I got a short ride in a car with that set up. The driver and I could barely speak because we were laughing too hard at how ridiculous it is.

24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    #24 ttforcefed, Jun 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
    ok, any1 in westchester county ny have a groupM?

i know i probably sound closed minded, and maybe its because im a purist, but i cant see a better sound than a 95 355 with tubi test pipes and tubi exhaust. From ebay clips ive seen of the capristo, they sound amazing, but they dont sound "ferrari" to me if that makes any sense. not a knock on the capristo but more of a thumbs up to the tubi if ur looking for that clean, throaty, v8 ferrari sound.

25. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I have Tubi headers, hyperflow cats and Tubi exhaust, very happy with the sound and quality.