Cleaning head light assy 348 | FerrariChat

Cleaning head light assy 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by rallo1, Dec 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Looks awesome! How about a little play by play...

MB

2. rallo1

rallo1 Karting
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2007
    Edwardsville IL
    Full Name:
    J Rallo
    #3 rallo1, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
    1 turn your head lights on
    2 rotate your battery disconnet to off so your head lights stay up
    3 remove the bezel from you houseing by removing the four screws.
    4 remove the light assy from the housing by pulling on the 3 tabs that hold your light assy in place. Becareful plastic parts, do not rotate plastic retainers that will adjust your position of the beams
    5 position the assy so you can remove the bulbs my rotating bulbs or remove the wires from the bulbs so you can remove the assy from the housing. Very tight fit remove one bulb at a time make access easier. You may have to pull up on the housing for the light assy to clear for full removal from the car.
    6 Once you have the light assy out of the car, I put the assy on the TOP RACK ONLY of my dish washer with the lens on Top, or you can clean manualy.
    7 Once the dishwasher was done. I took a high speed grinder with a cut off wheel and cut slots in the screw heads. Becareful not to cut the screw heads off or hit the housing.
    8 Once my slots are cut I can remove the 3 screws that hold part of the houseing together.
    9 split the light magnifier from the reflector by removeing the 4 philips head screws and clean the reflector and manifier with a cloth. Becarful when wiping the reflector portion with a towl the silver may want to come off.
    10 clean the inside of the lens assy with a paper towl. I used a flexable cable wrapped in paper towls to clean the inside so I can reach.

11 Once it was all clean I just did the reverse and put it all back together.

pm, if you need help

cardude442 likes this.
  3. rallo1

rallo1 Karting
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2007
    Edwardsville IL
    Full Name:
    J Rallo
    #4 rallo1, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
    try this, should be same assy as 355

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Nice write up.

5. rallo1

rallo1 Karting
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2007
    Edwardsville IL
    Full Name:
    J Rallo
  6. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Cool! .......... :)

7. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Excellent writeup and nice photos.

I had some fogging on the inside of my US DOT assemblies and followed most of the instructions, with a few changes on my 94 348 Spider.

Removing the assembly from the car, the 3 plastic pieces can be easily release with a simple pick or small flathead screw driver no need to pull them from the car.

Mine were locked at the 9 o’clock position and just need a light touch to move them to either 8 or 10 o’clock position. I took a photo with the left released and the right ‘locked’.

I did follow on cutting the small groove in the screws to remove the magnifier (photo below). Patience with a dremel tool and a steady hand.

I did not opt to run it thru the dishwasher. A simple inside wipe down with a microfiber towel did the trick.

I appreciate the time invested in writing this up and wanted to share a few tips I didn’t see in the original post.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    One thing I learned (the hard way) is to watch how hard you pull on the headlight cable. I accidentally disconnected from the chassis which necessitated pulling the front tire, opening up the battery compartment, and fishing the wire back down and reconnecting to the chassis wiring. It’s a simple plug with a clip that doesn’t hold strong.

You could, I didn’t, use a couple of zip ties (Roadkill) to make it harder to disconnect.