308 hood struts slip | FerrariChat

308 hood struts slip

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Whiskeyman, Feb 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    West Chester, OH.
    Full Name:
    Mike Calvert
    I recently purchased a 1985 Ferrari 308 GTSi QV. It has only 7,105 miles on it and is in show room condition. The only minor problem I have is that the engine deck does not stay open. It appears the original struts need to be replaced. The dealer wants $97.00 each. Is there any other place I can go to for this component.

2. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Check our site sponsor, Ricambi. I believe he stocks them.

3. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just replaced mine 10 minutes ago. As noted above, Site Sponsor Daniel at Ricambi America stocks OEM ones. Here is the link:

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=221478

Aftermarket ones are also available. See:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=STR&mfrpartnumber=4760

(Item - StrongArm #4760 Lift Support, Gas-Charged)

There are other options - search on "lift supports" and/or "engine struts"

This is something you can do yourself in about 1/2hr or less.

--Mike

4. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    You can have them rebuilt for about $32 apiece at Strutwise in Canada. Do a general search for that name . Frank irvine is the guy who does it and is a great guy. The only problem is slowness in sending anything back and forth across the border these days.

5. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #5 Mike328, Jun 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
    Quick follow-up. A couple of years ago, I replaced my OEM struts with these Strongarm ones I quoted above. Although they fit, they soon lost their "umph" and ability to hold up the engine lid. Some days would be OK, other days, no-go. Might have been related to temperature, but never really figured it out.

I got tired of holding up the engine hood with my head, so took Doc's advice above and contacted Strutwise (Frank). These guys are professionals--very warm and personal service from Frank.

I sent him my OEM struts which were in good shape, he turned them around in about a week, about $100. Figure about a week on either end for shipping to/from Canada.

Just installed them (a 15 minute job), and they're perfect. At my request, Frank gave them a little extra pressure. Seems like a miracle that the hood raises by itself, but I should have done this a year ago.

Just wanted to post this experience--I do not recommend the Strongarm ones I mentioned earlier, but very much recommend Frank's service at Strutwise (www.strutwise.com).

--Mike

6. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    An small side note. The proper orientation of the gas struts is with the larger diameter cylinder "up", that is, closest to the hood itself, and the smaller diameter pushrod "down," attached to the actual engine bay.

This was first pointed out to me by Frank (from Strutwise, see above), and applies as a principle, not just these Ferrari struts.

The struts in my car were indeed mounted upside down, with the larger diameter gas cylinder on the bottom. I checked the photos from when I first bought they car, and they were like this then.

Keith Bluemel's Original Ferrari V8 also has pics of the correct orientation. I have seen pics of ebay cars with them upside down, however.

7. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Confronted with the same problem 2 years ago, I went to a local wholesaler (South Africa) for these type of units and bought 2 new ones for around 20 Dollars each. The pressure in them was a little too low (the lid is quite heavy), so the upped the pressure a little. Been fine ever since.

8. CaptOharry

CaptOharry Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2009
    Green Cove Spgs FL
    Full Name:
    Harry Welch
    Same problem with mine Bought mine at T Rutlands last year.

9. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    I had my original struts recharged by Frank at Sturwise as well. The Ferrari markings on mine are still very much in tact and was the primary reason to getting them rebuilt rather than aftermarket. $100 including shipping, back and forth, takes about 2 weeks.

No longer available with the Ferrari logo as new from the usual sources.