Where's today's FOX-hate? | FerrariChat

Where's today's FOX-hate?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Gilles27, Jun 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    The telecast seemed to stay out of the way today. But once again, my question is 'Why does FOX even bother?' Have they ever mentioned why they broadcast F1 at all?

2. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    a tad bit off topic, but Speed Report is on now and they said they will be talking to us racing people about the FIA/FOTA issue...can wait to hear the dribble they have to say. The only one who would matter to me is if they interview Penske.

Carol

3. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I believe fox owns the speed channel

4. barndoor

barndoor Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    oregon
    Full Name:
    mr smith
    I agree,
    why do they even bother ? Do you notice what they air before and after ? thats thier audience,and "they" do not watch F-1 or even know how to spell it......

Its very frustrating trying to follow an F-1 Race in fox.

5. RockinRon

RockinRon Rookie

May 26, 2009
    Sunbury, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ron Fuller
    The claim a few years ago was to grow the fan base in the US. I'd say that plan is an epic fail since all it does is piss of their real fans.

6. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Notice on some of the ads during the F1 broadcast, the intro was "NASCAR on Fox is sponsored by ....".

7. barndoor

barndoor Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    oregon
    Full Name:
    mr smith
    Now I get it ,Speed/Fox are catering to the "Casual F-1 Fan "

What/WHO the hell is that ?

8. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    NASCAR "Hell I don't get it - ain't no oval and all them dad gum turns. And them things look like space ships"

9. RockinRon

RockinRon Rookie

May 26, 2009
    Sunbury, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ron Fuller
    The ones who would *might* have watched if the rocket scientists at Fox didn't pit it up against NASCAR in Sonoma. The ratings for today's GP should be even lower than a normal Fox GP. Another example of excellent leadership, eh? :(

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I hate FOX so much, it is hard to put in words:

- the race is tape delayed
    - tons of commercials
    - they cut out the top 3 finisher interviews
    - the commentary is dumbed down to a painful level

Next race will be FOX again. Then I think we have to endure it one more time before we're back to Speed TV.

Can't wait.

11. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    i liked the shot of the crowd where everyone was holding a wine glass. i suppose the message was f1 fans are sophisticated wine drinkers and nascar fans are bud light swilling yokels.

12. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    And I think that was the feeling back when there was a USGP and the whole Red Bull US driver search. Talk about 'FAIL'!

13. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    While it is true that the broadcast is "dumbed down", it was not as bad today as some of the earlier ones. The tape delay is a pain, but the DVR makes is bareable as the commercials can be eliminated. I would rather get up early, see it live on Speed and get on with my day, but at least we get to see it. I remember waiting to read the race report in Competition Press back in the "good old days".

14. JoeGuitar

JoeGuitar Formula Junior

May 27, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I saw that....Penske's comments were ok, but the institutional jealousy the other IRL guys exhibited made them sound out of touch. The fact that they are still trying to draw specious parallels between IRL/Cart while claiming that the F1 teams "don't care what anyone else thinks" is just laughable.

15. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    I think Jimmy Vasser just talked in circles saying nothing. Justin Wilson may have hit it on the head; Bobby Rahal was not so bad.

Carol

16. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #16 jknight, Jun 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
    First off, I want to watch it when it happens, not after the fact and I don't elude media to avoid being "spoiled" with results...

As I stated in another thread, I watched it live on BBC1 this morning and it was COMMERCIAL-LESS, great insight from DC and Eddie Jordan on the race , race comments - not comments about other non-essential dribble, driver weigh-in and preparation for the podium, podium ceremony, post race interview, great interviews with Ross/Stefano/Martin/Adrian Newey/Christian Horner/great one with Felipe, etc.... far superior to Speed and definitely to what FOX affords.

I will be on BBC1 for the Nurburgring when the race takes place, not 3 in the afternoon on Sunday. And, I'll be there for any additional races I may watch even when speed is back providing coverage.

Carol

We actually watched it this afternoon on FOX just for comparison - FOX suxs as did most of the commentary, with the exception of Matchett....without him, the commentary would be a real joke, but at least they are better than Daley and some of the others that could be on there.

17. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    How to I get BBC1 on web on my pc? New to that...

Just for grins, I timed several of the hourly breaks; err, 'commercials' that Fox broadcast,
    and most were ~2.5 minutes. During live Speed shows, if memory serves, the commercials are around 1 minute in length. That, plus watching the lap counter jump ahead 4 or more laps during ONE commercial break kinda did me in(most laps were ~1" 22 secs in length - you do the math).

I just let the DVR grab it, and speed viewed it. Not much fun, for sure.

Would like to investigate web broadcasts for the next Fox broadcast...

18. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Send them an email! I am. Evidently, they got enough complaints to at least start having a lightweight pre-race show this year. In the past, they just went straight to the start of the race!! What kind of BS is that? :eek:

Overall, Fox's coverage is rubbish. And they have the most horrid scat on just before and just after the F1 race (infomercials at nearly 3 PM?! ).

19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #19 DGS, Jun 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
    I always watch the lap counter during races. (And make notes on the pit stops -- yes, I'm a nerd that watches F1 with a clipboard. ;))
    It was difficult during today's Fox coverage, because the lap counter was half off the screen.

From my notes: Speed "live" broadcasts tend to run three or four laps of race and about two laps worth of commercials, with a few more laps of coverage at the start (for start replays), and then they concentrate the commercials around 15 to go, to run the last five or six laps without breaks.

Fox's replay broadcasts are more like "selected laps". On one break, they skipped two laps forward, then spent two laps showing replays from the skipped laps, then went to another break, skipping forward three laps. But one break was a couple of minutes long, and they returned later in the same lap.

Speed's broadcast includes a half hour "pre-race" to get the talking out of the way, and the race coverage itself (not including the pre-race) frequently runs over two hours, including the interviews.

Fox's delayed broadcasts run exactly two hours, including interviews before and after the race, and the commercials. When the race runs long, they skip more laps during the commercials. If it's a fast race with no SC, then they show more laps.

Today was a fast race, but they spent a lot of the early time talking before showing the race. That gave me a chance to watch the end of the Indycar race, but it also meant Fox had to skip some laps and some interviews to fit in two hours.

Both Germany and Hungary will be on Fox. Then it goes back to Speed, starting with Valencia.

It's ironic that the Fox (time constrained) broadcasts are happening now, when the FOTA-FOM battle would give Speed something better than the "grid walk" to do during a pre-race show. Instead, it's on Fox, where any pre-race talk has to be made up in skipped race laps.

Frankly, I think Fox only puts F1 on the Fox channels when it would conflict with NASCAR on Speed.

20. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Of all the terrible stuff that Fox does, the one thing I cannot stand is the during race commercials. Those little moving icons at the bottom corner of the screen since they know most people DVR stuff now.

Overall I didn't think today's broadcast was a terrible as the stuff they've broadcasted in the past, but I'm still waiting for it to be back on Speed.

21. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    I use Filmon.
    Just install the viewer app and run it when the broadcast starts. Select BBC-1 or BBC-1 low speed (if bandwidth challenged) and you're good to go in HD with a great ful screen picture.

http://www.filmon.com/tv/index.php

22. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Only two more FOX broadcasts left to endure.
    Their only saving grace is that they don't run Extenz ads:)

23. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    It makes me wonder why they run all these types of ads in conjunction with sports programs, I have a few ideas but best not put in print!!

Carol

24. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Whoa there!
    The sponsors buy blocks of time spread out over a number of different shows. Extenz is on Speed F1 because time is cheap there.

25. Rubino

Rubino Formula Junior

May 24, 2005
    Charlotte Area
    Full Name:
    Bob Curtis
    The worst part is having to endure endless commercials for "The Simpsons"

ARggghhh. I hate FOX for this reason alone.