Any Speedster owners here? | FerrariChat

Any Speedster owners here?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Bullfighter, Jun 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Interested to hear your driving impressions, ownership experience, etc. -- especially from those who have tracked their cars.

(1955-1958 Speedsters, not the 911-based later ones...)

2. nickd

nickd Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2006
    Landenberg PA
    Full Name:
    Nick Dunlop
    I have a 55 Pre-A Speedster - it's been on the track - Laguna Seca during the 50th Anniversary event - I won't call it a fast lap, although my better half got out of the car to inform me she's never doing that again - well the corkscrew is one hell of a drop !!

There's got to be some 356 registry members who can give you a good insight into tracking a speedster

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Do you drive the car a lot or is it mostly an "historic display" piece? I have a chance to buy one (A, not pre-A), but have never driven a Speedster in the real world.

I would be worried that 60 bhp and drum brakes would make you roadkill at every freeway entrance.

4. waz356

waz356 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    warren
    Not a speedster, but I have a 62B cabriolet with the 60hp engine and it has no problems keeping up with modern traffic under any circumstances. I the 5 years I've had the car I've done about 25,000 miles including 3 Classic Adelaide rallys, several long distance trips for events (Adelaide to Melbourne 4 times) and drive it to work on a nice days.

Properly setup 356's are a long way from roadkill, and drum brakes on something weighing as little as a speedster (or cabriolet) are fine.

5. nickd

nickd Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2006
    Landenberg PA
    Full Name:
    Nick Dunlop
    Oh the Speedster gets driven, not as much as I would like, but you can have some fun without going too illegal on the speed. Drum brakes not an issue - they are quite light so stopping has not been a problem.