"Clutch" ing on a 308 | FerrariChat

"Clutch" ing on a 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by 76Steel, Jun 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey everyone:

Had a nice drive in Jersey today - the weather finally cleared up a bit.

Have a question:

When changing gears - do you push the clutch all the way in?? (As to not to slide the clutch and perhaps preserve it a bit?)
    I started driving like this recently and like the response - wonder what others think.

Many thanks!
    Mike.

2. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    I drive both my F-cars just like any other manual gearbox cars. I do enjoy practicing my rev-matching though.

3. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    By not pressing the clutch all the way you're using the synchros, forks and synchro carriers way too much. Watch it, the gearbox is not designed to work like that. Switch to dog gears and don't touch the clutch anymore.

4. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #4 76Steel, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
    soo ........... clutch all the way then? On my other previous manual cars - I never did the all the way in way and my clutch lasted - yes - 85K miles. Just did it nice and smooth way.

However, on Lambo boards many guys recomended all the way in way and it got me thinking. (I know I've been lurking ... been falling in love with the Diablo. What is wrong me with, please - anyone????)

Well as always more expert info is much appreciated.

5. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    The point made earlier is that by not fully disengaging the clutch you are slipping the clutch surfaces, albeit under a light load, and making the gearbox do all the work of meshing the gears. Your point about the chutch lasting is irrelevent with regard to the issue stated above. The questions really is: How long will the synchros last if shifted this way? So my question becomes: Why would one drive this way anyway? There is no advantage. Please forgive if I sound insulting. Such is not the case. I just don't understand WHY this method - but I do understand trashed synchros.

-rick

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Not depressing the pedal/disengaging the clutch completely increases wear on the clutch and wear on the gearbox. There is no advantage to it as far as the components are concerned, only disadvantage. What you are doing by not completely disengaging the clutch is essentially powershifting but since the whole point of powershifting is that it is done at WOT for maximum acceleration, doing it at any other time does nothing but increase wear for no reason.

7. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Cool - thanks. No offence taken. Just learning.

8. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    ...as we all are. Thanks. -rick