Just bought a 308 GTSi. Have some q´s.. | FerrariChat

Just bought a 308 GTSi. Have some q´s..

Discussion in '308/328' started by Petter308, Jun 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Petter308

Petter308 Rookie

Jun 22, 2009
    Hello everyone. I am newborn in this Ferrariworld. After owning a Volvo P1800, a Porsche 944 and a couple of 911´s I decided to go for a 308 GTSi. OK, I bought the laziest one, but it seems nice and the price was ok. And it has the reliability of the K-jetronic. It has only rolled 13000 miles. In 2004 it was served for 15000 US dollars, but has only rolled 1000 miles after the big service in 2004. What should I do now? Do I really need to do a new timingbelt service because of the years since last service? Anything else I should service?

This is a silver with red interior. The leather seats seem a little dry and the red colour is a bit cracked. Anyone have an advice what I can do with them, other than polish them with leather cream?

It has som spidering at the front and at the doors. Why does the paint get spidered in some areas, is it the sun or just poor paint quality?

Thanks!

2. Rossa a nord di

Rossa a nord di Karting

Apr 30, 2008
    Barrie, Ontario, Can
    Full Name:
    Brent Pilon
    Hello and congratulations.
    You'll find lots of the threads discussing "Leatherique". I think that's how it's spelled for the seats.
    The paint really depends on the inital job and how it has been treated.
    The timing belts......what can I say about the timing belts.

I have been a member for 2 years and this subject brings out the most heated discussions.

Most say to change after 3-5 years for piece of mind despite not having alot of miles. I believe this is the consensus.........I however think you should remove the RH rear wheel, take a 36 mm socket and crank the engine and examine the belts both visually as well as with touch. You will be able to examine every inch of each belt. If they are healthy put a few miles on the car before you change the belts. Make sure everything else is running fine....... I cower as I write this because some will respond telling you to remove the starter and bury the keys until you have the major done.
    Take Care. Brent.

3. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    I would not be driving that car until new belts were fitted ........41/2 yrs cars been sitting around ouch!!!.. do the belts mate piece of mind good luck

4. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I think Ferrari recommends the major service and belts changed every 30k miles or 3 years whichever comes first. Most here on the board will likely suggest changing the belts every 5 years (I think this was the original recommendation from Ferrari when 308s were built).

Having said that - I would rather spend the money and KNOW that they are going to work just fine without problems that constantly worrying if they would break or not. If one of them breaks it is going to cost a LOT more to fix it than the service would cost. Belts are belts and are going to wear and crack and eventually break. If your car has been stored in the right envoronment since the last service they may be just fine, but unless someone who REALLY knows can take a look at them and say for certain play at your own risk.

Bottom line: I suggest doing a major service and changing the belts.

PDG

5. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    4 posts and no photos yet????? :D VIN????

6. Petter308

Petter308 Rookie

Jun 22, 2009
    Thanks! Good to see there is so enthusiastic people out there. Better just do it. Maybe do it myself. It is´nt that difficult, is it? Just takes a lot of time? Located a do-it yourself-PDF here at FerrariChat. What does a garage normally charge?

7. Helmut

Helmut Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    You should also check the tensioners and make sure they are working fine, the bearings may need to be replaced. There are a ton of bearings in that engine which could be as bad as completely frozen, considering that you have almost no miles on the car is good but everything dries out, so who knows what's really going on inside that thing. Try to check as much as possible before starting to use it as a normal car.

Helmut

8. Petter308

Petter308 Rookie

Jun 22, 2009
    OK, how deep would you have checked the engine? Is it a risky buy, you think.

9. Petter308

Petter308 Rookie

Jun 22, 2009
    #9 Petter308, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Petter, try a few coats of Leatherique's Rejuvinator oil on those seats and they will be soft and attractive. The wear on the driver's seat will not disappear but it will be much better. Most of all, future damage will be stoppred.

11. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    This is about a 1980 year-model, correct? 2-valve car? Should be nice in standard specification.

12. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #12 climb, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
    This may sound irresponsible but you could easily send that thing to a good Ferrari mechanic and be looking at a 5-7k mechanical bill just for the 'just in case' and 'while we're in there stuff'. A good paint job is 10k and a good interior re-do the same.

Or you could just change the fluids, goop up the leather and spit shine it. It's an '80 and not a collectable so why go all the worry and expense unless you just want to?

That '80 's EQ looks pretty sweet,

Love the color combo.

13. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    Stuart, you make a good collection of points. These things are after all just cars. I know we tend to raise them to mythical god status, but they're just metal, plastic, rubber and leather. I think the thing that we need to remember is that all this fussing about that we do with these cars is because they are our HOBBIES. We toil over them (and write long monographs here) because we enjoy the hobby, not because the physical car is that much different from an Alfa or a Lancia. We're here for FUN. Let's have some. -rick

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Interesting to me, another North American car migrated back to Scandinavia......

15. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!!!!! :D

16. Helmut

Helmut Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    I think that any purchase like that is risky but anything in life is risky after all. The reason why I mentioned the bearings is because when I had the engine from my 308 taken apart, I found a few bearings that were actually frozen (not the tensioner bearings, but I replaced them as well of course), I was amazed at how the thing was able to run.
    If you are inclined to spend some time with it then do it. You can figure it out, get all the partsdiagrams (Ricambi.com) and then ask some mechanics who kjnow what they are doing when you need help. Its not that difficult to figure out as long as you want a hobby like that.

Helmut

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I concur.

The color combination is fantastic. Silver is a great color on 308s.

In addition to the timing belts and tensioner bearings (and water pump rebuild), check the fuel hoses including the filler neck hose. If those are old, they can crack and result in fuel spills/fire. They are inexpensive to replace.

It's also important to check coolant hoses -- again, not expensive, but they can spoil a trip. The hose that crosses over from the coolant expansion tank and runs under the air intake casting gets a lot of heat and degrades the fastest.

The paint quality on these cars was not good. But spidering at extreme points of the car may be from a light impact on old paint.

18. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #18 Rosso328, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
    Beautiful car. Congratulations!

At the end of the day, your goal is to have a car you can jump in, drive and enjoy. If you are mechanically inclined, which it sounds like you are, go right ahead and tackle some of those jobs yourself. There are plenty of folks on this site that have 'been there, done that' who can offer pointers and advice.

Even so, it would he well worth it to have an experienced technician go over the car once - whether they do the work, or just make a list and give it back to you. There are a lot of little things and peculiarities that an experienced eye will pick up that may be significant.

Bottom line, enjoy the ride!

19. Petter308

Petter308 Rookie

Jun 22, 2009
    Thanks everyone for all advices. I think we will be talking soon again :=) Drive carefully!

20. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Great looking 308 - congrats and welcome to ferrari ownership.

Ferrari timing belts are made of a 50/50 blend of linguini noodles and mozzarella cheese so best to change those out. And, in the process, probably best to change the tensioner bearings and look for signs of weeping or wear of the water pump.

If you're good at wrenching then give it a good look over yourself. 90% of issues can be self diagnosed with some careful attention to detail and some background mechanical knowledge. Whenever I buy a car it always gets a new battery, new engine and gearbox oil, new cap/rotor and air filter, and attention to any leaks. Next is the brakes, look for worn out pads and grooved rotors - you don't want a brake failure on your hands.

Good luck!

21. Yamaric

Yamaric Karting

Apr 7, 2007
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Richard Dalgleish
    It is definately a 1980, from the location of the gauges on the console. Would you mind posting the last 5 numbers of the VIN

22. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    i could use some parts off that F40 in the background.

23. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Same color combo as mine only my carpets are black... Very nice!

24. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I am amazed that someone on this forum would classify a 308 as a non-collectable! The 308 is to Ferrari what the E-type is to Jaguar. I would debate this subject anytime.
    still lost

25. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Above post is great! I agree fully! You have a great looking 308!