Stradale or Superleggera | FerrariChat

Stradale or Superleggera

Discussion in '360/430' started by PsyFi, Jun 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PsyFi

PsyFi Rookie

Jul 12, 2008
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #1 PsyFi, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
    Which would you pick? Both cars are similar in price these days

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Stradale without question and Im not a huge Ferrari guy.

3. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    So VERY different. I'd much rather have a CS but you should drive both and decide.

4. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    In São Paulo there is a black Superleggera with Larini exhaust....awesome sound....

but.....Stradale sound is unbeatable! And I'm a Ferrari guy! (not a owner - YET)

Att,

Victor

5. 599_GTB

599_GTB Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Josef
    Stradle! Looks much better!

6. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    It depends what you're looking for. The CS has the SL beat in terms of race-car-like feel, while the SL is significantly more powerful. I test drove an SL and found a couple of issues I couldn't tolerate..

I didn't like the e-gear. It slipped the clutch too much when pulling away from a stop (I asked around and was told this is normal), though it did engage faster with larger throttle openings. The ceramic brakes were WAY too touchy.. push a bit and nothing, push a bit more and massive deceleration.

On the plus side... The car was very sharp looking (with tons of carbon), appeared well put together and felt solid while driving (though a bit heavy). The e-gear worked fairly well once under way. Motor/exhaust sounded pretty good inside the car, but not out of this world. Outside, it sounded good. The ride was firm, but not intolerable.

If it's mostly for street driving, most people are better off with the SL, though I would look for one without ceramic brakes. It's got more torque and is less track biased than the CS (edgier handling, less sound deadening, no carpeting and a lower ride height). The CS also requires the cam-belt maintenance, where the SL does not.

Personally though.. I'd rather have the CS. It's difficult to appreciate the SL's speed here in the US, so I'd rather enjoy the CS's special feel. Plus, the CS is just so beautiful.

7. ammoman

ammoman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    WINDERMERE FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    ERIC
    #8 ammoman, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Blue4reF1

Blue4reF1 Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Plantation, FL
    Full Name:
    Blake Simon
    I have been reading about the two a lot. Only plus I see from the Lambo is that it is 4 years newer so you get the warranty. But the Lambo looks too similar to the base Gallardo imo, it's hard to tell the difference besides the rear... Also, imo, the exhaust note on the CS is much better than the S/L. A lot of people don't agree with me but thats my opinion. The CS though, is imo, the second best looking modern day Ferrari (First being the 355).

9. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    No offense but you're asking this question on a Ferrari website which automatically means the responses will be mostly biased. Ask the same question on ********** and you'll probably get a majority of the responses in favor of the Lambo.

10. Stefan_009

Stefan_009 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston area, MA
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    If you want people breaking their neck to see your car get the SL.

11. Tonycan

Tonycan Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2002
    Here and there
    Full Name:
    Tony C.
    They're both great cars. SL has heavier feel in front because of AWD, but on the track that goes away once you learn to drive it and point and shoot. The CCBs are touchy, especially for people who only take it on a test drive. But once you learn to squeeze the brake, it works okay. And on the track, the CCBS are great. Throttle response of the SL is signficantly better than CS because of higher HP and mid-range response. Exit speed of the SL is fantastic. Hard to beat the sound of Stradale. It's just fabulous.The SL really comes alive when you switch to sport mode. Shifting and handling are like night and day. They both are well-balanced cars and provide plenty of driving enjoyment, for both novice and and advanced drivers. It comes down to what you want. Either way, you're a winner.

12. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    That was going to be my response. SL will draw more attention if you want that. Personally, I prefer the feel of the CS, but then I have roads to really enjoy fine handling. As a taller driver, the cabin is so much more comfortable in the CS, that alone wins the day. Better vision, more shoulder room and headroom. If you are not tall, you will find the space in the SL ok.

Jeffrey, check your pm.

13. NYCSpotter

NYCSpotter Formula 3

May 28, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Damian
    Challenge Stradale, and I'm a Lambo fan...

14. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    CS because it is a special car and they are somewhat limited. You won't see one every day. Love them in black with red interior.

15. XP1LM

XP1LM Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Truong
    Id pick a Challenge Stradale over any Lamborghini.

16. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    To be honest, It's just a more raw experience in the Stradale. The CS came from a race car after all. The Superleggera's interior gives you the feeling your just in a fast car, while the CS makes it so that your IN a race car... For me the Stradale seems a more intense experience. The Lambo is just one of so many special edition Lamborghinis.

_J

17. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    WOW! It doesn't seem like all that long ago it was SL vs Scud and now, due to depreciation, it's SL vs CS.

Maybe by Xmas it'll be SL vs 355 Fiorano?

18. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    Very good point of view and an honest one!! :)

19. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    From a value stand point, I have seen the CS values staying strong. 6 months ago the Superleggera was on the $200k range and the LP560/4 nowhere to be found. Today, the CS is staying on the same price range, while Superleggeras and LP-560/4 are $40k cheaper.

My guess is that the Gallardo will keep adjusting down on value. A Gallardo is an Audi, and a Ferrari is a Ferrari, more so a special edition as the Challenge Stradale, a car I think will become a nice collectible.

You cannot go wrong with either car, but the more expensive entry price on the Stradale has a lower ownership cost.

20. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    i can not get over the cramped interior of the gallardos, and im only 5'10.

21. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    I own a CS and have driven the SL. SL has better power but the steering felt numb and the brake travel feel was not to my liking. In the end, drive both and buy what you like.

22. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    Stradale, is one of the best cars I have ever seen on the road. Pure raw power....gimmick free!....I would pick it in a heartbeat over the Leggera.

23. Racerboy

Racerboy Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Bay Area
    You should def drive both cars, they are really different.

At first, you may be intrigued by the SL because of the torque and rawness. But, for me, the initial feeling of excitement quickly soured as the car felt poorly engineered and simply became annoying; when I was done driving it I was happy to get out of it. As pointed out, the brakes are horrible (either "on" or "off"), the steering is very numb and the transmission did not feel as precise as a Ferrari's. The rawness of the SL simply turned out to be lack of refinement to me, it felt inexperienced.

The CS on the other hand is pretty flawless while still being extremely raw; it does everything very well while still keeping you extremely involved and not doing anything poorly. The more you drive it, the more you want to drive it. The more miles you spend in it, the more you appreciate how raw the car is yet how well engineered and well built it really is because you don't get tired of it.

24. Blue4reF1

Blue4reF1 Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Plantation, FL
    Full Name:
    Blake Simon
    Damian, didn't think I'd hear you say that.

;)