Going GREEN and/or Going Crazy "WVO" | FerrariChat

Going GREEN and/or Going Crazy "WVO"

Discussion in '308/328' started by MRFOTOS, Jun 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    After many years of enjoying my 308gtsi going "WOT" on the mainland, But now confined to a small island with just a few short runs of "speed limit 55", I have been toying around in my head of swapping out my V8 Italian masterpiece that runs on soon to be $5 a gallon Arab imported fuel,
    for a German I5 turbo Diesel that runs on free waste vegie oil.
    Last years $90+ fillups sure do sting when you get bill.

The M-Benz Turbo Diesel "OM617.951" engine normally propels a car that tips the scales at a bit over 4,000 lbs, and the 308 is a bit over 3,000 so about 25% lighter.

Torque, V8 179 lb-ft @ 4600rpm VS the I5 170 lb-ft is nearly the same so I am guessing the car will still have some get-up to it?

It will be an interesting Project if I get into it.
    My basic measurements seem to indicate the engine will fit in the bay.

I will store the V8 in case its a totally failure in performance so I can replace it if needed.

I know I'll truly miss the amazing sound coming out from the engine as I am cruising down the road.
    But it a sacrifice for the going green movement, good for the environment and traveling in a beautiful 308 knowing that no war is required, and that no one in the Middle East ( or Wall Street) it gonna stick it to me when I fill er up.

Maybe top speed will be 80MPH instead of 130MPH still more than enough for a ticket if I need one.

Do I need to be put in a straight jacket?
    Am I losing my mind, or being environmentally conscience/ financial responsible?

What’s the opinions from the Forum ?
    Anybody want to share some wisdom / ideas in making the swap

Thanks for you input.
    Mrfotos

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "Do I need to be put in a straight jacket?
    Am I losing my mind, or being environmentally conscience/ financial responsible?"

Yes
    Yes

Could it be done? Sure, just about any engine could be made to fit/operate given enough time/money. But to what point? Just buy an eco-friendly car, if such a thing actually exists outside the minds of marketing folks.

If the Ferrari is your daily driver and you are that concerned, buy a Prius or whatever for normal use and drive the Ferrari occasionally for fun. The impact of the relatively low mileage Ferrari "carbon footprint" (who comes up with this wordsmithing crap?) over a year will be far less than that of the Prius over the same year.

3. Helmut

Helmut Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    To me the best solution so far in terms of saving money on gas is the Tesla, if you have enough sunshine (which we have in socal) and enough solar panels to charge your battery, then the bill to power the thing should be the initial investment (which is a lot) but you may also be able to power more than just the car if you really get enough solar panels. I haven't done the exact math yet regarding cost and environmental burden of the batteries that are being used on those cars, but I would be very disappointed if the guys who designed it didn't take that aspect fully and truly into their calculation. Somehow it seems charmingly futuristic to be able to drive a sportscar that does not burn dead plants and critters. Having a 308 and a Tesla would be a nice thought.

Helmut

4. Helmut

Helmut Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    I forgot to say the main thing, YES you are going crazy by thinking about turning your 308 into a vegetable oil go kart. :)

5. airdelroy

airdelroy Formula Junior

May 10, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Richardson
    I think if I were doing something like that then I would try and do it in such a way that it could be reversed. If you had to cut components of the car to make it fit then I would not make the change. That way you could put the original motor back into the car and the value of the car should not be changed.

Aaron

6. cronin

cronin Karting

May 21, 2009
    Twin Cities of MN
    IMO it's crazy to destroy a Ferrari in the way being suggested. If you want a high mileage engine buy a high mileage car. The 308 is a timeless beauty and they should be kept on the road and in original condition. Just be careful getting sucked into the "going green" craze. Its one thing to be concerned about gas mileage but to actually think you are helping the environment is absurd. The mining for the things needed to create battaries in a hybrid car like a prius does more damage to the environment than your 308 ever will.

7. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    Hmmmm... Never thought about going electric, it would be a Zero emission vehicle !!
    That would be great in California.
    But as you mentioned about cross impact, it would take a lot of toxic lead for all those batteries, and to convert it with a decent electric motor, would probably cost more than the car is worth.
    The Tesla is an awesome performer and is a great way to go green and go fast. I would love to own one, and I hear there are 2 of them in Hawaii ( probably on Oahu ) but the classic looks of a 308 are far more easy on the eyes ( IMHO )
    Still a very sizeable investment over $100,000 I hear.

It sounds like you guys are getting ready to build a room with padded walls for me.
    But any tree huggers out there have an opinion?
    Thanks for your replies

8. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My 328 GTS gets around 8 MPG... is this some sort of problem? :D

9. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    i spent most of my life with cars that got around 6-9 mpgs (old V12 jags, 70's vintage muscle cars) My ferrari(s) get at least 11mpg ......i'm doing my part to be green.

10. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    jedi and mizugami, you are both running Ferrari's with some serious leaks, better keep the fire extinguishers handy.

mike 996: wow, ignorance is bliss.

To the OP:

I certainly wouldn't submit my 308 to something like this, but from the practical side, of course it can be done. I am sure that there are some modern front wheel drive drive-units that can be transplanted into the back of a 308 without too much hassle, but what's the point? You render the 308 into a worthless heap, causing a lot of indirect cost to yourself. Add that to the direct cost of purchasing a suitable unit and the conversion, and you'd be much better off buying a small car outright.

This thread makes me think of the Series III E-Type in the UK that was running with a Morris Minor engine somewhere in the eighties. Oh dear.

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "mike 996: wow, ignorance is bliss."

Uh...I said the same thing you did - it can be done but buy an eco friendly car if that's what he wants. ;)

12. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Jack: This kind of stuff without the appropriate smiley ;) to indicate tongue-in-cheek really isn't necessary here. It really sounds like you are being a jerk for no reason.

Mark: Yes, you are going crazy. :) Buy a Prius, feel good about yourself, and allow it to compensate for the 308's non-PC fuel economy. Magnum didn't drive a biodiesel! :D

Birdman

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "i spent most of my life with cars that got around 6-9 mpgs (old V12 jags, 70's vintage muscle cars) My ferrari(s) get at least 11mpg ......i'm doing my part to be green."

That's good! I also had my share of 8-11MPG muscle cars (all Mopars). When I drove my 328 from Vegas to MD and got 21 MPG on the trip, I felt I had gotten hold of a GEN-U-WINE economy car! :)

14. SoCal308GTSiQV

SoCal308GTSiQV Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hey Mr. F, I think about this stuff all the time. I've had lengthy and heated talks on this site with some real block heads that couldn't be taught to pull their hand off a hot burner!

I think about what I am handing down to my kids, a planet of pollution and I try to do my best by driving eco cars the rest of the week. The cars that I'm putting 30,000 miles a year on.

I would say if you want to go fast and look good the Tesla is nice. If you want to go REALLY Fast (208 mph top speed) look at the SSC Electric car that’s coming out.
    http://www.shelbysupercars.com/news-012209.php

I guess the real question is, do you get called Magnum PI more then most while driving a 308 in Hawaii?

15. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    #15 Tokyo Drftr, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2009

Hey mopars here too......mostly E body challengers and cudas with a couple B body chargers......yeah with 5:13 gears......doing 55 at around 5000rpm..........mileage is minimal...........yeah my ferrari is the most economical car i've really ever owned.

By the way Jack..........i do not calculate my mileage....nor do i ponder over the price of gas, as i have no control over such things............as for the 11mpg.........i pulled that out of my FERRARI manual......but it seems about right............guess depends on how you drive eh?????

I guess for such a little guy.........i leave a big carbon foot print.

16. Helmut

Helmut Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    I certainly hope that the batteries in a Tesla don't have lead acid in them, they are supposedly the same type as Lap Top batteries. Of course that is the big issue, the level of technology of the batteries and where the electricity comes from.
    You also have to take into account the minimal maintenance of a Tesla, that thing barely has any moving parts, no oilchanges etc. and it goes from 0-60 probably faster than most super super cars with combustion engines.
    I do agree though that I am not a big fan of the Lotus, turning a 308 into a Tesla car would be almost interesting because of its beauty, even though a 308 is somewhat of a museum piece and should be pretty much left alone.

Helmut

17. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Exageration for effect :D My in-town 'hard driving' averages 12, but that's with
    lots of pull all the time. If I drive it like Toyota would prefer, I get 18 on long
    steady freeway runs. Probably could hit 20 on average if I wanted to bore myself
    at 60 in 5th for a couple of hours.

No leaks - all new everything and properly tuned.

Jedi

18. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
  19. Helmut

Helmut Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    This looks interesting. In case of an accident, what would happen? Big explosion or ...?

20. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Uhhhh how about just buying a Prius umkay?

21. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    For economical driving, buy a Vespa scooter or one of those Suzuki Sidekicks, or a Smart car, or something,and go polish the Ferrari every now and then.

I like Maui, but always felt trapped there; too used to being able to just get up and drive 800 miles straight in a day if I wanted.

Doug

22. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    Hmm very interesting, But I can’t think of Hydrogen without thinking Hindenburg.

Ill look more into that.

Naw I don’t want a Prius your, still putting dead dinosaurs into its tank.
    And I don’t want a BioSlug go-kart if it can’t perform satisfactorily.

The 308 without question, is a work of art that rolls, but can it still be rolling art in a more envior friendly way?
    It will still turn heads; get from point A to point B in style, but in a greener way.
    Maybe call the waste veggie oil car a FERROILRI.

Having the only running 308 on this island does have its exclusivity, and I have heard many people shout out MAGNUM! Nearly every time I take her out on the weekends, I’m In Hawaii so I just have to deal with it.
    Luckily Since I shaved my Mustache off when I got here, I hear it less often.

23. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    The smiley wasn't meant to be there, nor was I trying to be a jerk (thanks, missing a smiley there too?) Birdman, if you can't practice what you preach in the same sentence or the one following to the one in which you find it necessary to chastise a contributor, rather not comment at all. It appears that you ought to look in the mirror and see if the shoe fits.
    I do, however, apologise for the post; I just re-read Mike's post and see that I read and interpreted it wrongly. First time around I thought he was making a joke of the environmental issues. My reaction was incomplete and mis-directed at that.