430/360 Torn | FerrariChat

430/360 Torn

Discussion in '360/430' started by dustman, Jun 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    As has been debated here by many, I'm torn between the 360 Spider and 430 Coupe/Spider. Different cars, so I am going to do what one should, drive them back to back and see if that forms the decision. Having sold the GTR and feelign unimpressed with it, I am hesitant to step into a ride that is too refined, adn am eager to see just how much more driver centric the experience is in the 430. If too tame, I'll opt for the 360 Spider due to looks, sound, topdown experience.
    I'd ask for all your thoughts, but I just need to get off a$$ and drive them.

2. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Well, if you are looking for a Ferrari that's not too refined then you are probably describing a CS or Scuderia. The 430 is an all around better car than the 360. But the 430 can coddle you. Compliant ride, leather, air etc. So I say get the 360.

3. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    I don't think you can go wrong with either really, they're both fun cars. Coming out of a GT-R, however, you may appreciate the 430's power advantage over the 360. The 360 is certainly no slouch, but the 430 does have noticeably more torque.

A 360 Spider would provide a nice experience though, no question.

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I drove an 04 Spider and 05 430 Coupe today.
    Let me start by saying that the majority of posters who commented in numerous threads about upgrading from a 360 to a 430 were spot on...I knew 20 seconds into the 430 that it was the car. To me, there is no comparison as they are very different (sans 360CS of course which I have not driven). I thank all of you for comments and posts in what seems like hundreds of threads on FChat.

My impressions of each:

-Fantastic, classic looks in Spider form, IMO best looking Fcar made
    -Very affordable
    -Nimble/connected steering feel
    -I didnt like the enemic sound, and this particular model even had Tubi. Sounds better as bystander than driver
    -F1 was slow (I'm used to GTR DCT and M-cars), but nice blips down
    -Didnt feel fast (seat of pants/noise)

-Nice interior, modern design in comparison, seats a tad better (both power Daytona)
    -Excellent steering wheel in terms of feel and looks
    -Excellent exhaust growl, really barks with a stab of throttle...Clarkson wasnt kidding
    -Power...wow, night and day vs the 360. Under hard acceleration you really feel the 430 pushing you in the seat. I was impressed. Sure the GTR may be quicker, but it never, ever put a smile on my face like the 430 did
    -F1 was quicker and smoother

In summary - I adore the 360's looks, but the 430 won me over with refinement, class, power, and a race-car feel. My GTR and 911TT had none of that.
    It was offered that the 430 replacement may be a year out, FWIW.

If anyone is looking for a 360 red/tan Spider in excellent condition, all services complete at the best price I have seen after years of searching (and intensely searching for the past 4mo) PM me for dealer contact. I can't speak highly enough of this dealer and representative.

5. ThreeSixty

ThreeSixty Karting

May 4, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    George G
    I was on the same boat, but ultimately, I decided for the 360. As a first-time F-owner, I wasn't sure if I would enjoy the 430 that much more than the 360 considering the difference in entrance fees. Looks-wise, I prefer the 360 with its cleaner lines IMHO. Like what Rob said, it ain't a slouch either.

I had the pleasure of sitting in my friend's 430 earlier this week. No question, I was very impressed with its power. But other than that, it just confirmed to me that I made the right decision of getting the 360. Now, I still have this extra funds to use for something else :)

YMMV... but either way, you will make the right decision... good luck :)))

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    All I can say is... I LUV MY F430.

7. slice

slice Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2008
    Connecticut, US
    Same here...I went 360, though I will confess the 430 interior is more updated, the 360 exterior is (in my opinion) more fluid and flowing...again, we are splitting hairs here, both cars completely kick ass, I mean really, who are we kidding, right?

8. Testarossa13

Testarossa13 Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Tony Jr.
    #8 Testarossa13, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
    +1 and the 430 doesn't have cam belts....Your right on the mark....don't forget the 6-speed manual(3 pedal) Ciao

9. Skipper

Skipper Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Full Name:
    Frank Drebin
    what prices are you seeing for f430 spider on the low end?

10. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I actually prefer the 360 interior, much cleaner and more classic looking IMHO.

11. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    once you drive the 430, the 360 seems underpowered and much less refined. the 430 interior is much nicer. exterior appeal is a matter of opinion.

12. Billy msck360

Billy msck360 Rookie

May 14, 2009
    Edmonton alberta can
    Full Name:
    Billy Mackendrick
    I am having the same issue now. I am torn between the challenge stradale, and a 430..
    I want to enjoy my car, and drive it when the weather allows me to.
    I love the 360 look, and the cs is my fav to look at, but, the 430 is new technology and
    may just be something i can take to the shop everyday..\\

13. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    I've had the 360 for 3 summers and it's still more car than I can ever handle at the moment. I drove an F-430 and still prefered the more raw feeling of the 360. Don't get me wrong, The 430 is more powerful beast, but unless you have alot
    of track time under your belt, you will not able to tame her... Also, the 360 with Tubi's is just intoxicating whether in or out behind the car...

L

14. McRoswell

McRoswell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2008
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    Chris McAuliffe
    Hi, I purchased an 04 360 F1 Spider and loved it. I then visited Ferrari of Atlanta and test drove an 07 430 FI Spider. As you might guess, I traded in the 360 for the 430... Wow what a car and I will never look back!

Chris

15. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    Didn't think it could get any better than my 360 spider until I traded up at 32000 miles to a 430 Spider (now 20000) and never looked back. The sound (stock 430 better than my 360 TUBI) and much greater extra power and torque are hard to argue about.

16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I'm close in on buying a 430 coupe. Couldnt afford (in my mind) the Spider.