308 spark plug wrench | FerrariChat

308 spark plug wrench

Discussion in '308/328' started by johnvwatts, Feb 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnvwatts

johnvwatts Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2007
    England
    Full Name:
    John v watts
    Does any one know where I can get a spark plug wrench for my 76 glass 308 ?

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you want the original that came with tool kit, try Ricambi
    or after market go to Sears, Snap-On, Mac, etch.

3. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Does the '76 have the narrow tubes? With my '78 I had to take my Sears spark plug socket to the grinder for a few sessions before it would fit (and come out again :)).

4. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Pick up one of those longer sockets with the swivel attached to it. I found they work great. Just be sure it has an O-ring in it to grab the plug, otherwise you'll pull the socket out and the plug stays behind, or you'll have a problem getting the plug back in (though I've found that a short length of hose works great for starting the plugs back in without cross-threading them).

5. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yes, good idea. I ended up buying a very short magnetic pick up that I used to extract the loosened spark plugs.

6. Champboat/Champcar

Champboat/Champcar Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    You can also use the sparkplug extension to start the plugs, it works great just put a little tiny bit of antisieze on the threads, also its a good idea to use compressed air to shoot out the dirt or dust or condensation that forms there so it won't drop in the cylinders before plug removal, and the plug extension works great in removing the plug if it falls off the socket too .

7. 308-newbie

308-newbie Guest

plug tool and a 3" extension fits perfect on my 77. Then I use an extender to pop the plugs out when they are loose.

8. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
  9. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Thanks for the tips.

I was afraid to tackle the front bank because i didn't know how i'd get the plugs out once they were unscrewed but the extender was the perfect tool to grab them.

Took me less time to do the front bank than the rear thanks to this tip.

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    A snap-on socket fits without modification and the plugs remain in the socket so no fighting to get them out of the tubes.

As for an original, try ebay too and chances are they are all the same for the 308. I have one and find it very handy, fits right and does the job perfectly.