Car rear ended me on road bike... | FerrariChat

Car rear ended me on road bike...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rob lay, Jun 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #1 rob lay, Jun 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Guess a first for everything, I’ve had a dozen decent crashes in my day solo or in the pack, but first time I’ve had a car hit me. Luckily just bruises and road rash and R.I.P. Trek 5500. I was in left hand turning lane right after a stop sign going under a bridge and car behind me just ran into the back. Didn’t see it coming, hit was hard but dissipated energy going straight forward keeping control until the rear tire blew then laid it over. A little shock and pain, laid there a second and got up immediately calling 911. I knew nothing was broken so said no ambulance, just send the cop, but a passing paramedic stopped and he called for an ambulance which ended up being a fire truck too and about 8 guys which was waste of resources for road rash. Right elbow a little blood, road rash right back over shoulder, and most painful is right hip and butt that are deeply bruised and rash. Police took report and I agreed to no more investigation or charges even though I suspect she saw me and the typical cyclist rage 3,500 lb. car vs. 18 lb. bike. At least insurance should be good for a new bike, officer wrote out report there isn’t much question to the story with me getting hit square from behind. Wheel is obvious mess and bike shop said cracking in several places of frame. Already ordered a Trek Madone 5.2 Pro which will arrive in time for a triathlon next weekend.

Be safe out there everyone. There are some jerk cyclists that deserve tickets and give the good cyclists a bad name, but please drive carefully around cyclists even if they’re in the wrong. There is only one winner in a 3,500 vs. 18 lb. fight. Injuring or killing a cyclist isn't worth it even if you are right, which 90% isn't the case as most drivers don't respect or know that cyclists have every right of a car on the road.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Crap! Sorry to hear about this, Rob! I'm glad there were no worse injuries. The soreness will set in soon. Maybe miss the next tri.
    Hope you heal quickly.
    J

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    You were definitely where you need to be for highest visibility - for that lane, and adjacent.

You'll be feeling wounded tomorrow.

Best wishes for speedy recovery - ice, ice, ice, ice, ice.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Although many say as a cyclist to take up more room in the lane so that it forces cars to take more time and give you space when passing I practice staying as far over as I can. Yes it causes more to buzz you, but it eliminates those that would just hit you square from behind like this. This type of place is the ONLY time I take up the entire lane, I was turning, this was a turning lane, and we were almost to the next stop sign so impossible for a car to get around in time. This usually keeps the car back until we all get through the stop unless of course they just drive right through you like this.

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Yeah - that's what I envisioned and believe is best practice as in worst case scenario, it also reduces chance of being run over after the fact by car that first impacts rider, then continues turn along their predetermined path.

Lost a dear, dear friend and triathlete to a dimwitted girl who went off paved surface...

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    ouch!

get well soon !

7. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    That sucks Rob, hope you get better soon.

Ride carefully everyone

8. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    So sorry to hear - I often worry of such things on my own bike. I'm sure you'll be one
    hurtin' Jose tomorrow. Too bad about the bike. Is it totalled? The only thing that would
    have saved all this would be if it were a FERRARI that hit you :D

Kidding aside, glad you are ok.

Jedi

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We'll see what her insurance does, it was the top line Trek 9 years ago with Dura Ace, but doesn't compare to modern bikes. Bike shop thinks totaled because of the cracks several places, it is a carbon fiber bike. The Trek Madone 5.2 Pro I ordered immediately will blow it away even with Ultegra.

It was a Mazda, which I've been hit from and done my own hitting car racing. :D

10. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Dude, you were totally in the way. Otherwise that car would've never hit you...

Okay, I'm joking, but personally I prefer to ride in the passenger side tire track. Many of my friends a freaked out and like to stay 6 inches from the white line, but I feel much safer in the right tire track. Unless of course if it's raining.

Rob I hope you feel better soon and get back on that horse... errr bike.

11. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    So sounds like you have a 'grudge match' in your future :D

Jedi

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'll even ride right of the white line if enough lip or shoulder.

13. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    That sucks. Glad to hear you made it out relatively ok though...

14. SilverF20C

SilverF20C Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    +1

The arch nemesis of cyclists & motorcycle riders strikes again. Glad to hear you're relatively ok all things considered!

15. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Wow, sorry to hear Rob, I just got in from a ride and had one or two people buzz by pretty close, but I've never had anyone get that close at a stop. Hope you're feeling better tomorrow and will still be able to make it out to playtri next weekend.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Looks pretty bright sunlight and then very dark under the bridge (?), thus maybe she actually didn't see you ... maybe?

Anyway get well quickly.
    Pete

17. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Glad you are (relatively) OK. Could have been worse.

Good luck with your Triathelon!!

18. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Please get well quick. I almost got nailed yesterday BY ANOTHER BIKE. I'm braking for a 3 way stop, I hear a skidding tire behind me, and another cyclist brushes my shoulder, blows through the intersection, swearing big time (at me). I agree that cars should always be careful around bikes, even when they are being ridden by jerks, but it is just this kind of behavior that creates a dismissive and dangerous attitude toward bikes and bikers.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    part benefit of the doubt, I have reasonable doubt she didn't try to hit me on purpose. I did give her a nice lecture though, I told her I wasn't going to pursue anything with the police or legally, but give me a minute to talk. accidents happen.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    cop that helped me had written another cyclist ticket yesterday for blowing a stop sign at 20 mph. I flat out told him I will track stand or California stop a light or stop sign and he agreed they won't bother cyclists for that as takes longer and less safe to unclip and foot down.

21. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I agree - take up as much space as possible in a turn lane like that. Any concussion/dizziness/headaches/vision acuity issues? Don't be a typical guy, and get anything head related checked out! I know way too much about this stuff now than I'd ever want to.

I just killed my Madone 5.5 in March, with full DA :(, lawyers still working on it - it'll be another year for $$'s. I picked up a used Solis Nitro last week with Ultegra, great bike, but saving for wheels.

Good news is you'll heal and you'll get a new bike! Ultegra is good enough imo - especially given the price advantage in replacing cassettes.

22. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Glad to hear your are relatively unscathed and the bike is replaceable!

All the best for rapid recovery and a good triathlon!!

23. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Glad you're OK!!

Do you think it was the sunlight/shadow transition, talking on a cellphone or just general inattention (considering you're giving her the benefit of any doubt).

24. DJS

DJS Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Wow, you're very fortunate - glad to hear you are okay. Ever since I started riding you really do notice how inattentive some drivers can be. Even drivers who mean no harm cut it awfully thin with how close they get to cyclists, and I have heard plenty of stories of Cyclists getting punched in the back of the head by those passing on motorbikes, had cans and rocks thrown at them, etc. Even with the ******* minority who give cyclists a bad name, I still can't comprehend why someone would ever consider endangering someones life like that.

Eitherway, enjoy the madone!

25. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I got hit from behind several years ago too. Only I was booking it at 20+ mph in the right lane and a guy tailgating a driver in the middle lane swerved right to pass and then all I heard was his lockup as he saw me too late. Terrible groin pull and lots of road rash as I went down in the cleats. No way I was getting back up easily and nothing broken, but I did spend some time in the ER.

You are too nice. I'd probably have asked that she be prosecuted.