Is the California Ferrari's 911? | FerrariChat

Is the California Ferrari's 911?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by cosmicdingo, Jun 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cosmicdingo

cosmicdingo Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Clemson SC
    Full Name:
    E Evans
    Seems like it's the most obvious direct comparison. The price, of course, is vastly different, but the concept of a usable sports/GT car seems similar.

2. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    #2 410SA, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
    The 911 line has innumerable specific models, all different from each other besides the basic shape (GT2, GT3, Turbo, Carrera, Carrera S, as well as four wheel drive variants in each of those, along with convertible soft top variants - mind boggling!).
    The Cali is nothing like any 911. It has a folding hardtop and is a grand tourer, not a sports car. It's probably a lot closer to the SL63 if you have to find a direct competitor.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that or an AM Vantage (although that's a coupe OR a roadster, not both at once)

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

It's their version of the Mercedes-Benz SL/SLK...........same target market, albeit higher price. This is not meant to be a negative post BTW.......just my summation of where they were going with the car.

5. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Its also much faster and much more comfortable!

6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The AMG SL 12 cyl is about the same price point in the US as the California. I think the AMG lists at 235K, and does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds.

The regular SL is a bargain buy. But is it as pleasurable to drive as the California? Not in my book. I'm not saying it isn't a very nice car but for me the California is worth the extra cash.

The SLK is a much smaller more down scale model and would not be comparable in either category of performance or luxury. The interior is decidedly mid range. As far as driving- it is pretty uninspiring and forgettable.

7. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    THE 911 versus the Cali: No comparison. Today I traded in my C4 cab for a brand new F430 with a Cali on the way. The Porsche is a dog versus the Cali. Cali looks are much better. You see numerous Porsches every day but a Ferrari? Rare. 911 look is a classic but never changes

8. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    It's their SL 65 AMG

9. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I think the upcoming convertible version of the 599 is the SL65 (12 cylinder engine) competitor, as opposed to the Cali versus SL 63 with 8 cylinder engines.

10. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    The good thing about the Cali is that it actually looks different than the 599...

There's very little difference to speak of between the SL55 and SL65. Except the badging.

11. marakji

marakji Karting

Aug 19, 2007
    when I read the question, the first thing that came to mind was "the 911 is an icon", "what is" the california!!! aside the fact that the origtinal 250 GT California SWB is sex on wheels... almost all cars which can be compared with the California are far nicer... whether it's the DB9, or the Granturismo... sorry owners, but it looks like the California is Ferrari's Mondial...

12. 1ual777

1ual777 F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Does anyone know what the sales figures are for the Cali? I realize that in this economy it is tough, but how are they doing in relation to initial projections?

13. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    That will be a great car...

Any word yet on the roof? Will it be a rag-top? Targa? "SuperAmerica" type top? No top?

14. Forexpreneur

Forexpreneur Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
    I would agree with that. The Cali has a better sound but the SL65 AMG is a really decent car also.

15. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Hope not. I wouldn´t want to see endless iterations of that car (or any other) for 40 years.

16. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    LOL that's a good comeback statement

Sure, I like the Cali, but it's not at all Ferrari's "911." No way. The California is merely another model within the marque, not the standard model that defines the marque of Ferrari.

The 911 defines Porsche. The California turns stomachs and pleases only a few.

17. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003

The 911 defines Porsche just because they weren´t capable of selling another thing, but Porsche has done many nice things apart from the 911. It´s quite sad that all the Pokers have forgotten that. And I admit that the pre-996 911 is one of my all time favourites, but enough is enough.

Back to the topic.

18. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Ferrari has no model that it re-cycles over and over again for 40+ years.

Personally I think that is great to have different models every 7-9 years.

19. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    To me the California seems like the Ferrari for non-Ferrari buyers. This space used to be filled with the "almost Ferrari" Maserati Spyder, and that didn't work out so well sales-wise. If Maser hadn't been taken back under the Fiat wing instead of previous Ferrari control, I would have anticipated the California to have been badged as a Maserati.

Back to the target demographic for the California, at least in my opinion it isn't for the gearhead, F1 junkie, or usual exotic car enthusiast. It will poach more sales from DB9 Volantes and XKRs. People that want exclusivity and the Ferrari cachet with the means to buy whatever they want.

More than any previous Ferrari, I would expect the California to experience normal to more severe value depreciation than other cars in this price range, and certainly more than any current Ferrari.

20. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    ...Two metric ton "sportscars", whatever will the MBAs think up next?