'77 308 steering wheel | FerrariChat

'77 308 steering wheel

Discussion in '308/328' started by wakko, Jun 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wakko

wakko Rookie

Jul 18, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Eric Becker
    Someone helped remove my non-stock Momo steering wheel. (It was stolen) I am looking for a stock or one that looks correct with the horse on it. I have asked the dealer and they said they can order one for around $1,000. I have no idea what the car came with stock. I now keep the car in the garage (I couldn't before, I don't own a garage) and had keys made to operate the door locks (the car only came with one ignition key).

Where can I find a stock or close match steering wheel?

What is the cost range?

Thanks

Eric

2. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    #2 350HPMondial, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ebay is your friend.

find a "Personal" wheel, Porsche used these too, but mine says "Ferrari" on the front above the Signature.
    (Not a Momo, Momo buttons are available, about $ 30.00 usa, and fit a Personal wheel with some modifications, see photo.)

Horn button NLA,,, I just got one for my 1981 Mondial 8 for $ 90.00 usa, it should be here tomorow.

Good luck,
    Edwardo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
  4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I made an interesting discovery after I bough the "GTB only" wheel from superformance. Its a great wheel, leather is close but not correct for judging which I dont care about but it looks great and feels great in my hand. But after discussing what was right or wrong for the carbed 308s we came up unsure, I might have a semi-useless answer. When I sit in my car with the so-called proper "GTB" wheel I can see my slow-down lights for the converters. If I use the straight spoke wheel (which I have) it hides these lights. Someone I know with a plastic euro 308 in town had a straight spoke wheel on it, no slow-down lights of course. It now has the so called "GTB" wheel simply because it looks nicer. Is it possible cars with converters got the bent spoke wheel regardless of GTB or GTS and the rest got either/or depending on availability?

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The real ones are indeed all gone, IIRC.....

The previous owner of #20405 put one on he spent YEARS searching for and felt it was one of the last ones...he kept the old one to frame it so there's ONE on the wall in Chicago, IL.

Ferrari Classiche will help us!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!

6. wakko

wakko Rookie

Jul 18, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Eric Becker
    Well, I am not worried about winning any competitions, I just want a wheel that "looks" correct. The Momo was nice on there but it had the Momo logo and I want the Ferrari logo. The real reason is I want to fool all the non-car guys, LOL, and because mine has been removed for me. I am going to put in an order for the one on superformance, unless someone else has another source to look at. I will try to take some pix of the engine, dash and front, where the spare tire should be.

The dash is missing some of the lights, and the ones that are there I don't know what they are. I don't have a manual, owners or shop. I am going to start looking for a shop manual.

Does anyone have this one...

http://www.pitstop.net.au/view/marques-ferrari/page/query/plu/9954/

I found this, but I dont have a QV...

http://ferrari.jenkins.org/books/308QV_328_workshop.pdf

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The original wheel from 1975 -77 WAS a Momo...it is indeed labeled on the bottom spoke.

That's the correct one....

8. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Oops,,, my bad, not a Personal wheel.
    get the MOMO,,, get the $ 30.00 horn button from Ricambe.
    Done.
    :)

Edwardo

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have paper copies of all the books...WSM....Parts Book.....I even have ALL the Technical Bulletins....

It's quite the stack of stuff.

I suppose I should use my repro account and make some...

10. wakko

wakko Rookie

Jul 18, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Eric Becker
    I know mine was not stock, it had a Momo logo and it was not a 3 spoke.

11. 8KRedRacer

8KRedRacer Karting

Jun 7, 2007
    Georgetown, KY USA
    Full Name:
    Alan Bennett
    #11 8KRedRacer, Jun 25, 2009
  12. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I have an orginal 1972 246 GT steering wheel from my 72 246 hanging on my office wall if we have any interested steering wheel people. This wheel had a factory defect which Ferrai replaced free of charge when the car had 6 mo on the clock. Had a new 308 in 77 a GTB and I don't bel;ieve it said Ferrari on it , but said as the orginal Dino wheel - said Momo. My recall is not perfect however. Unfortunately have no interior pictures. My car was fly yellow with black leather interior. Good trouble free Ferrari that was a tank from realiability standpoint.
    docf

13. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #13 timr, Jun 26, 2009
    You might want to try this. It's not stock, but it is Ferrari approved I believe. Not sure how to hook up all the bells and whistles but with a little assistance from FChat I'm sure we could...

Tim

14. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Right and double right. Get someone to stamp MOMO on the bottom spoke and a date on the rear a few months prior to your car's manufacture and you're good to go.

15. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #15 308 GTB, Jun 28, 2009
    The correct horn button will run a little more than that. Early 308 horn buttons have a silver ring as did the Dinos and early GT4s.

Barry

16. wakko

wakko Rookie

Jul 18, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Eric Becker
    A friend found one on ebay and I picked it up. Cant wait to get it. The seller has great feedback, so hoping this is as described. ebay Item number: 120434315144

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Congrats!

I have to go check my horn button now.......

18. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The correct horn button will run a little more than that. Early 308 horn buttons have a silver ring as did the Dinos and early GT4s.

+1

19. wakko

wakko Rookie

Jul 18, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Eric Becker
    #19 wakko, Jun 29, 2009
    It looks like it has a silver ring....

20. MikeF

MikeF Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Bloomington IN
    Full Name:
    Mike Fisher
    Just happened across this thread..........I am the owner of #22405. I searched for two years to find an original wheel for my 308GTB. The proper steering wheel is solid spokes, no holes or slots, in the natural aluminum color, MOMO on the front and a date stamp on the back. I had a guy trying to find one for me and when I was in France, I saw one hanging on the wall of this guys service garage, still wrapped in plastic. Thinking maybe he didn't know what he had, I asked him if it was for sale. He laughed and said yes, but nobody would ever give him the 700 euros he wanted for it. Well, I gave him the seven hundred, and had my new wheel.

About two weeks later, the other guy called and said he had found one for $1,000.00 and was sending it to me!!! So I ended up with two new ones. I put one on the car for concours and just kept the other one. Now I have 2 old originals that need to be recovered, one new one on the car, and one new one on the wall.

21. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    #21 Beta Scorpion, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
    The one from Superperformance UK is a closer match for a USA car (and cheaper!). I have some sales brochures from UK showing those black Nardi wheels on new RHD 308s, Boxers and 400s.

I can confirm our 77 GTB came with a horn button with the silver ring.

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, there you go!

We have looked for a rebuilder for a long time, maybe Classiche would do it?

Welcome, I have #20405.

23. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Yeah, for a price.....a BIG price.