Question, daughter wants to build a 935K... | FerrariChat

Question, daughter wants to build a 935K...

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Conquest351, Jun 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Conquest351

Conquest351 Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Hamilton
    Ok guys,
    My 13 year old step-daughter sprung on me that she wants to build a "Yellow Porsche" because one of the girls in the Twilight book series has one. I, being the car nut I am, agreed and began showing her pictures of Porsche's. She stopped me and said, "I want that one!" to a 935K race car. I believe I'm rubbing off on my new step-daughter and my wife just sighs when she realizes it. It's great. Anyway, I look to you Porsche fans for advise.

I know GT-Racing makes the parts to convert pretty much any 1970's thorugh 1980's Porsche 911 into a 935K. Anyone had any experience in dealing with these guys? I have their catalog and everything looks fantastic.

Next, drivetrain. What would you suggest to put in there if I get a car with no drivetrain. Remember, this will be a 16-18 year old girl. I'm not putting a 3.8L turbo monstrosity in there for her (but when she gets bored of it, daddy will surely take it). What's a good reliable and relatively trouble free engine and transmission?

Last, year model. I understand the 1974 was the lightest of the 911's. I am looking for a coupe, but man, they're hard to find. I honestly would be fine with a later model or earlier model. The weight thing isn't that big of an issue as it's really not going to be a race car. I am planning on installing 930 slant nose style headlights along with the low mounted lights to keep it street legal.

Any help you could offer would be great!!

Thanks guys,

Brian

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    In 3 years when she is 16 she will be the coolest kid in the high school parking lot, fer shure.

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I knew Hank Godfredson years ago when he lived in Minnesota. I never bought anything from him but also never heard any complaints from those who did.

4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #4 LightGuy, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
    I always wanted to do a 934 car.
    Pretty easy with rivet on fenders.
    For an engine an aluminum Chevy V-8 with a G50 tranny.

Remember;
    She's 13. This time next year it will be a Mini-Cooper and "whats a Porsche" ?

RUF in dallas has a for real 934. Go check it out sometime.

5. Conquest351

Conquest351 Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Hamilton
    I was at the RUF track day at Motorsport Ranch earlier this month. They had a lot of really nice toys out there. I should go by their showroom soon. I'm friends with Jim Creel who sells the Superformance cars through them.

As for the car, yeah, she very well may change her mind, but she's already looking for candidates on the road and picking out the exact shade of yellow she wants. So far it's the Ford Chrome Yellow used on the 1999 Mustangs.

A V8 in a Porsche for a 16 year old... Surely you jest! LOL

6. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#6 Kds, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
    It's cheaper to buy a car someone has already built it.....whether it be from Porsche, a professional race shop or a privateer......making your own always breaks the bank. Been there, done that.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199876&highlight=911+RS

It usually costs 3-4 times as much to build one as it does to buy one. This site will give you a heads up........lots of race cars and street cars for sale......

http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/porsches.htm

As to GT-Racing stuff.......I have used it and it is OK.........it just needs a lot of hand finishing and prep ($$$) to be ready for paint.....if it's race car you are building and you plan on replacing parts when you hit the wall, no biggie, you spray it and bolt it on, but for a nice street car you gotta do it right.

7. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    Ditto on go to Ruf.

I'd suggest posting the same on rennlist. All Porsche, all the time.

8. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Agreed 1,000%!

However, there may be other reasons, such as quality time spent with her and an education that's passed on to her. Can't put dollar figures on that.

CW

9. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Sounds like you have been a great influence on your step daughter. My 20 year old girl is on her second Miata, a MazdaSpeed, that she has tricked out and does all her own maintenance on. My wife hates it! She wants a girly-girl, but we have one of those too, so she can't complain much.

10. Ispeed

Ispeed Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Needham MA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Porsche started galvanizing the unibodies in 1976 I think. You may find ru$t in an earlier tub that has to be dealt with. .02c

11. Conquest351

Conquest351 Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Hamilton
    Wow, you guys are all over it. LOL Yeah, I seem to be rubbing off on the girl. She used to be "Miss Priss" and now she's seeing cars go by and asking, "What engine is in that thing?!"

I'm thinking I may go for a post '76 car, thanks for that tip. As I said earlier, I don't care about it being the lightest chassis. I am goign to cage it and all that good stuff anyway. I've seen this girl drive a car on Forza 2 and she's going to need a friggin cage. Maybe we'll just buy her an old 1978 Chevy pickup that's made of good ol' American steel and let her bang that thing around for a bit...

12. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
  13. Conquest351

Conquest351 Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Hamilton
    Eh, not exactly the car I'd build. He uses the RSR body style. This one is going to be 100% 935K body, but a naturally aspirated engine. She's 13 for God's sake! LOL I have seen her try to drive and that cost us a new mirror and body work on the F150, and that was just trying to back out of the driveway!

That guy has a fantastic build though and a beautiful car.

14. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    :confused: Not much difference. Rear quarters and if you'd like front air dam. Personally I prefer the early style 935 (rsr) with the double flying whale tale to the later K variant.

15. Conquest351

Conquest351 Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Hamilton
    #15 Conquest351, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Just FYI, the girl in Twilight "Alice" drove a Yellow Porsche Turbo, well technically two. Didn't specify 996 or 997 in the book to my recollection.

17. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Coincidentally thats the one I want.

18. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Conquest351; Get a 996 C4S "turbo look" Tip. Done. And safe.

19. MarkRobinson

MarkRobinson Karting

Mar 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Robinson
    I've been studying building a 934 replica for a few years now. If you wanted to make this a father-daughter project, then you could go the easy-build route & buy an '84-89 EFI 3.2 carrera & then sell off the fenders, front bumper, rear bumper, & purchase 935/934 units from a number of sources & besides wheels, paint, & installation, would have a 214hp powered 2500lb 934 replica for about 25-30k. wheels will set you back: a 17x13 rear + 17x10 front will make for hard steering, but you could size the fronts as 17x7 & go with a standard 205 to keep her arms looking feminine. :)

The BEST & most modern approach for any woman is to make it safer & more comfortable: buy a higher-mileage '90-91 964 & do the conversion: won't lose any $ on the project (for the most part) + it benefits over the 3.2 Carrera as follows:

40 more hp
    dual air bags
    abs & larger brakes
    better G50 transaxle
    power steering
    MUCH better AC
    stronger chassis

Mark

20. Conquest351

Conquest351 Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Hamilton
    I think so too, but this is the one she wants. She picked this out of the book I had and didn't want anything to do with the newer style cars. LOL

Yeah, it's not that simple with these damn women though...

Ya know, this sounds like one of the best ideas I've heard for this project. I was planning on using just a plain jane NA motor anyway. Hhhhmmmm... I think I may take your advise on this. Now I need to sell some damn real estate and start making money to get this project under way.

Thanks for all your help so far guys!!!

Brian

21. Canine64

Canine64 Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2005
    Buy her a used '98-2001 $14k Yellow Chickster and be done with it.

22. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Go for it, you'll make her really happy and you'll feel really good too at the end.

23. Conquest351

Conquest351 Karting

Mar 13, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Hamilton
    Yeah, it's not really the money thing, it's the time we get together building it. I've never built a Porsche before, so it'll be new & exciting. Plus, there's so many people out there who can help whenever we get in a jam (which I know will happen). I figure if I find a decent car that's running & driving with some minor body damage, it'll work great. We're going to strip the body off anyway. LOL

24. tony2ta

tony2ta Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2004
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #24 tony2ta, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Brian,

My buddy's 935 is current for sale, pm me if you're interesting?

Tony

Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    And how do you know this? :D:D:D;)