Thank you Birdman! | FerrariChat

Thank you Birdman!

Discussion in '308/328' started by mcfarlin, Jun 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mcfarlin

mcfarlin Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike McFarlin
    A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of driving through the Colorado foothills with a great group of car guys and gals. On the way to Golden I lost power and had to be pushed onto the shoulder. (Oddly, two cops passed by without as much as a honk!) It didn't take long to figure out that I had the dreaded Fuse Block Syndrome that seems to haunt the 308s. I could kick myself because I was aware of the possibility of failure and I ignored it for too long.
    Anyway, I cut the drive short, went home, and ordered Birdman's fuse blocks. Simple and quick installation and now everything works better, even the windows! The best part is the renewed confidence in the car. Can't wait for the next run. If you have not done this yet, do it now.
    Thanks Birdman!

Mike in Colorado

2. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I am waiting for mine to arrive.

I was going to make my own replacement, then i saw they were offered as direct bolt in replacements and simply ordered them.

I honestly can't believe Italian electrics.

Worse than Lucas, at least the fuse block is. Whoever decided to make the block out of a thermoplastic, that melts under heat needs to go back and take Common Sense 101.

And those lead foil capped ceramic plug fuses, my God. Though they are low tech and can be made in small quaint villages that lack proper plumbing, much less sophisticated machinery.

Doug

3. wakko

wakko Rookie

Jul 18, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Eric Becker
    Yea, when I was experiencing a money drought a year or two ago, I noticed my fuse box was getting hot and some stuff was weak and or intermittent.

I started driving around with the cover to the fuse and relay box open and at night I saw stuff arcing. So I started to solder in ATC 12 guage fuse holders just to eliminate the arcing and fire hazard but still keeping the stock blade terminals. I found Birdman's replacment fuse panels a bit ago and saved the link. I have ordered them from Birdman and they are on the way now. :)

Cant wait to get them.

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Mike, thanks very much for the public endorsement! (I always like to see a thread that says "Thank You Birdman" as opposed to one that says "Birdman you SUCK!" ;) ) Can I put your comments on my website?

Eric and Doug, yours were both shipped priority mail this morning. Sorry for the delay...I got a little backed up because I had a backorder on some parts.

It has been so long since we had a nice day here in MA, I forget what driving a 308 is like.

Birdman

5. klatu

klatu Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Mckinney
    Hey Birdman, you can add me to the "Happy customer list". My windows didn't go any faster, but all is well. Thank you
    Rob

6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #6 enjoythemusic, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey, i've met this Birdman character many times as he is kinda local to me so i can say (in HUMOR as he truly is a great guy)...

HEY BIRDMAN... ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    LOL! All my fuseblock customers...

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hey Gang,
    Just so nobody freaks...I'm going on vacation with the family tomorrow and won't be shipping fuseblocks until after July 15. So if you don't hear from me....that's why!

Birdman

9. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    I just wish the block for the mondial was a simple!!!!

10. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Add me to the "happy customer list", best thing I could have done to my QV was to loose the OEM blocks! Thanks Jonathan!

11. RDzingel

RDzingel Karting

Jan 16, 2008
    I ordered a set a couple of years ago and just got around to installing them last night. After I was finished, I went to turn the car on and I couldn't believe how loud the warning buzzer was! Electrics seem much happier. Car feels "newer".

I'm not very mechanical but I was able to do the swap no problem.

Should be done for every car IMO.

12. wakko

wakko Rookie

Jul 18, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Eric Becker
    I received mine and just put it in, it is amazing how things work/run with the proper amount of juice flow'n to them. My car gets happier with every issue that gets addressed.

Thanks again

Eric

13. RDzingel

RDzingel Karting

Jan 16, 2008
    My car pulls stronger to redline now. Previously, it would surge as I got into the yellow. Now it's powerful and smooth. Better voltage to fuel pump?

14. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I think you might be imagining that this is attributed to the fuseblocks, but it's conceivable that you had a bad connection in the circuit to the coils on the old blocks.

Birdman

15. mcfarlin

mcfarlin Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike McFarlin
    It also could have been a loose fuel pump fuse. I had a similar symptom before I installed the new blocks.

Mike

16. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Bird,

Where does a guy go "on vacation" when his office is 100 feet down on a pristine Caribbean Reef, or other "away from it all reefs of the world." Just wondering ... :D

Im a very "Happy Camper" owner of your fuse blocks too.

17. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #17 Nurburgringer, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had my '85 QV home approximtaly 12 hours before retrofitting with Birdman fuse boxes. Picked up fuses per the owners manual the day before, and spent about 1 hour making the switch.
    thanks B-man!

1/2 way done, new vs. old
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    Add my thanks to the list.
    Fitting the fuses made a lot of improvements in several areas:
    - Faster windows
    - Better lighting
    - Smoother ignition (used to back-fire a lot more, this is a carbed 308 with Hall-effect OEM ignition)
    - Tacho was going crazy above 6K RPM, not anymore

I also found that the original transparent plastic covers can just hold in place between the outer fuse holders. Once the outer cover is fitted they stay there.

I'm off on a 3 weeks vacation soon but when I'm back I'll order an additional 4 kits for friends that asked for them.

19. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    When I changed my fuseblocks, I also changed all of the 25 year old relays, doing both will make the electrics 95% more reliable in 308's. (relays are about $100, to replace them all at RockAuto.com or equivalent)
    Replace both and drive with confidence.