le mans NOMEX suit 1971 | FerrariChat

le mans NOMEX suit 1971

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by boxndoc1, Jun 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxndoc1

boxndoc1 Karting

Jan 25, 2007
    North America/Italy
    would anyone know what a 1971 le mans NOMEX suit with arm band belonging to 5th place winner Bob Gossman would be worth? I have the opportunity to pick it up but the price is not yet established. Its a neat piece of racing memorabilia.

2. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Probably worth a lot less on its own than with other items from the race. Their NART 365 GTC4 would be best of all.
    Although they finished 5th the real Ferrari story of '71 was the factory dropping the 512 and their development by Penske and Scuderia Filipinetti.
    Ultimately 917's ruled though.
    I wouldn't put a high price on the suit myself.

3. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    What does it shmeell like....?

4. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Depending on how many layers, a new 2-piece was about $120 back then, IIRC 3 layer was around $175.

I also recall those incredible NEW Bell Star full-face helmets were an outlandish $89.

BTST I also remember John Paul Sr. paying for cars and motors with suitcases of CASH - and lots of it, LOL

5. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I happen to have an "Auto World" catalog from 1970, so I looked up Nomex driving suits. A one-piece suit was $70, and a two-piece suit was $75. There are testimonials from Mark Donohue and Peter Revson telling how much they like their suits.

The Bell Star helmet was $59.50 then. My first helmet was a Bell Star 120. Still have it, but of course it's just a decoration. The lining disappeared.

No idea what Grossman's (not "Gossman") suit would be worth. Not much, I'd think.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Spent a week with Bob during Maser Miglia 2000 Denver to Monterey: great character!

The suit must be quite large to fit him...

I would say bearing in mind it is not a world champion's suit by any means that 150$ might be about right but that is just a guestimate.

I tried to buy a Nelson Piquet suit at BMW GB when I did a trainee period there summer 86: I tried it, it was 4 layers, very cumbersome and awkward...they would not sell it though.

best regards,

Marc