How much coolant needed for 512TR flush? | FerrariChat

How much coolant needed for 512TR flush?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by BlackTwelve, Jul 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlackTwelve

BlackTwelve Rookie

Nov 26, 2004
    New York, now Maine.
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Tried this on TR forum with no luck...I've always had someone else change the coolant in my 512TR and am going to do it myself this time. The manual says 20 litres is the capacity (over 5 gallons!). Does anyone know if a drain & fill uses all of that? If so, I'll need to get 3 gallons of coolant for a 50/50 mix. I know you also have to fill it and run it until the thermostats open to fill the radiators, then bleed it. Anyone have any suggestions here? Thx!

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #2 Rifledriver, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
    It will take about 4 gallons. We mix it up in 5 gallon jugs and a TR takes less that an entire jug. Do not run and bleed, that is counter productive. Open all 3 bleed screws, turn on ignition and turn heat on to full hot. Fill until it starts coming out bleed screws. Close bleed screws one at a time as the water level reaches them. Continue filling until tank is full. Cap it off and run it. The heat expansion will push out excess through overflow to establish the level itself. Then you are done.

If you drained it at the head plugs quite a bit will enter the precat heat shielding and for a very long time it will boil that off. Ethelyne glycol is poisonous and you really should avoid breathing the vapors. Move it out of the garage to heat it up. It will take a very long time and probably a good drive to boil it all out of there.

Dont make it any harder than required. If you bleed it and try to fill it while hot it will be wrong. Keep it simple.

3. BlackTwelve

BlackTwelve Rookie

Nov 26, 2004
    New York, now Maine.
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #3 BlackTwelve, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
    Thanks Brian! I appreciate your straight-forward, knowledgeable reply. It's no wonder you're held in such high esteem by so many here...

4. carcollector

carcollector Karting

Apr 23, 2006
    palo alto
    Full Name:
    Chris M.