Thinking of selling my 348 Spider | FerrariChat

Thinking of selling my 348 Spider

Discussion in '348/355' started by Houston348, Jul 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    #1 Houston348, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey gang, over the past few weeks I've really been thinking of turning over the keys to my baby and getting into a 360. Ive had it for over 3 years now and put a lot of $$ into the service initially, $16K worth (service, water pump, complete clutch, etc).

How much realistically could I get for it these days? It's in pretty good condition. I cleaned up the sticky on the interior, gave the leather seats a little upkeep, and resprayed the front spoiler.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That is such a beautiful car. As you know, now is the worst time to sell, so I wouldn't even guess what your top dollar could be on this. Someone just recently posted that there are 11 348's on eBay (I am not sure if there are any spiders on there).

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

3. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Beautiful car worth so much more than ou could get for it now. I think I'd keep it in that case. It's worth over $50K IMO, but I doubt you could get near that price right now. Still, if you offer it, I hope you do. :)

4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I'd guess in the $45k range for a well kept spider. I think they are worth more, but the delta to go to a 360 is pretty small if that is the car you desire. 4 years ago when I got my 348 it would have cost an extra $60k or so to get into a 360, now the difference is around $30k.
    :)
    BT

5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    2 yrs ago, at peak of market, i had difficulty selling my very nice 348 spider. ended up going for about $45k. would imagine much less than that now at bottom of market. maybe $35k? good luck.

6. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Such a pretty car! Hope she will find another great home soon.
    Don't let her go if you can't get the right price.

Good luck.

7. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    I know it's your car, so do as you wish, but there is NO WAY I would get out of that into a 360, not a chance. Even if I was offered a stright swap on mine for a 360 the deal wouldn't happen. Personal preference aside you are selling Yellow 348 spider, a rare car indeed.

The best of luck what ever you decide.

Jellybean :eek:

(well someone had to say it :p)

8. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    I think you should keep it and just add the 360 to your stable.

After all, how will you ever start your car collection if you keep selling them?

Kai

9. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    IF you get the 360, remove or replace the precats.

10. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    keep you very nice 348 Spider - why a 360 ?

11. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    +1 your car screams Ferrari the 360 screams jellybean

Well except for the spider they look pretty cool.

12. 50hdmc

50hdmc Formula 3

Oct 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    mark s
    well lets see, we have seen them posted in the last week here from 32K to $115K. But you can only sell for 115k to a "serious buyer"! Mine is yellow too and I think it looks awesome. Might want to consider yours as a trade-in. I know it is usually a bad deal, but I had the opportunity to trade mine, even up for a 355 selling for 48k. The 355 needed a major but it was still something to consider.

13. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Post it on Craigslist in L.A., you'll get at least $115K for it!! Have you kept it in a garage??? lol

14. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Looks beautiful Jason!! :):)

Personally, now that you have invested ALL that time and money to make it just right, I would keep it mate. Add a 360 to the stable when the funds allow you to do so. :):)

All the best with the sale........

IF you decide to go ahead with it! ;);)

15. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    I sold mine about 8 or 9 months ago, before the actual bottom dropped out. As I recall I got about 45K for the car and it was very clean, and needed nothing. In the current market if you want to SELL the car, I would think $39K would attract buyers. If you are not in a hurry and like to dicker for months on end try in the $42K range.

16. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    As a comparison mark, I sold my 1989 348TS last month for $37,500. It was exceptionally clean, had 3 year old major service, a few extra spare parts, some shiny things from Hill Engineering, and about 30k miles.
    I started out asking $42k, then dropped the asking price to $39,400 after two months, and got a buyer about three weeks after that. A local guy with cash, no PPI, just a b20 minute ride and a 5 minute negotiation. Now my oldest daughter has a brand new Honda CR-V. So she is really happy I sold it.
    :)
    BT

17. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    thanks guys, yeah, I was really wanting to keep the 348 and just get another Fcar to compliment it, but for some reason, i have this strange vibe that we are in a recession lol. I was hoping on some better luck with my company last year that just didnt materialize, oh well. I did mention it to a girl i know the other day and she said why would you get that one, it looks like a bubble, yours is way nicer lol.

3 years ago, I put $16K into the engine service/clutch/water pump/hoses, etc and it runs like a DREAM and sounds unbelievable.

The catch 22 of getting into a newer Ferrari is that yes, they might be cheaper to get into, but getting out of mine will be cheaper too lol.

I would let mine go for $42K, IF I decide to sell it. I drove it yesterday and realized how awesome it is still.

18. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Jason - don't let go of the 348. She is a beaut!

The 360 will be a vastly faster car and be able to attract the attention of 10 year olds better. But it won't be as involving as the 348.

I too drove my car yesterday after a long while and I was in heaven. :)

19. Spider Jeff

Spider Jeff Rookie

Oct 9, 2006
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff H
    Your car would easily be worth the $42 K Jason, and be a great value for the buyer at that price.

I just drove my Spider Friday (yes, I know it was 102!) and still enjoy the hell out of it.

I have owned over 50 cars, have four now, the Spider is consistently the most fun car I have ever driven. It is a combination of the performance, exclusivity, sound, value, etc. that make the Spider such a great deal.

It is a great time to buy a car, so the reduction that you get in value selling yours may be offset in the "deal" you get on the next one.....or, you may find it needs $16 K to make it right!

I drove a 1999 911 yesterday I could have bought for $16 K, what you paid to fix your car up, at the end of the day, its just another mass produced Porsche, without the daily nitty little problems that make Ferrari ownership so much fun!

Best of luck with whatever decision you make!

Jeff