How neutral was the 2010 selection process? | FerrariChat

How neutral was the 2010 selection process?

Discussion in 'F1' started by zoRob, Jul 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
  2. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    The PitPass article (moreso than the other two) and F1-Live goes into more depth than Autosport.

It will be interesting to see what FOTA uncovers - According to the article:

FOTA is to demand that the team selection process if not just reviewed but started from scratch. With this latest development that seems a sensible move.

Here's the F1 article from F1 Live

Virgin has decided to buy a share of the new Manor Formula One team, a leaked email has confirmed.

Sir Richard Branson's brand currently backs Brawn GP but the British billionaire said recently that the success of the team in 2009 had sent its 2010 sponsorship price too high.

We reported last week that Virgin may already have signed a deal to re-name and possible buy into the new 2010 entrant Manor, which involves FIA President Max Mosley's former Simtek colleague Nick Wirth.

Recent reports indicated that Mosley's FIA representative at Grand Prix and chief steward Alan Donnelly may also be involved, confirmed now in the pages of the Guardian newspaper.

An email authored by Donnelly indicates that the Virgin-Manor linkup was in place even before Manor was selected to join fellow new teams US F1 and Campos on the 2010 grid.

"Virgin have signed to be investment partners with a shareholding of around 20 percent,” Donnelly wrote.

Donnelly's questionable neutrality is also likely to return to the spotlight due to his arranging of meetings with Manor officials and a member of the Saudi royal family.

His email, attached to a draft Manor sponsorship and investment agreement, goes on: "I will be in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and look forward to seeing you at our planned meeting ... with representatives of Manor and Virgin.

"However if you would like a pre-meeting with me privately on Sunday then please let me know," Donnelly added.

Virgin and Manor did not comment, while Donnelly insists the email is not evidence of improper behaviour as he was already in Saudi Arabia on official FIA business.

Manor boss John Booth, meanwhile, told the English newspaper Dinnington Guardian that the team's commercial package will be confirmed in the next few months, followed by announcements regarding drivers in October.

Carol

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Here's the bottom of the Pitpass article - Carol caught the rest:

Even putting that aside, this (if true) is yet another PR disaster for the FIA. WTF is Donnelly doing as:

1 - The crazy mans "representative".
    2 - Running (owning?) a "sponsorship finding" company.
    3 - Setting up meetings with sponsors.

Hopefully, this guy is not in the running as the next crazy man - That would put us right back to square one and Steve would have palpitations :)

Cheers,
    Ian

4. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Steve enjoys his palpitations:)

5. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm in a good mood I did have palpitations watching the Masters of electronic music KRAFTWERK Play in Manchester..:)

They had the Olympic British team cyclist racing round whilst they played Tour de France one of there songs..ahh bliss.
    http://www.mif.co.uk/events/kraftwerk/

Now back to thread: It stinks anything with to do with Mosley and his cretin's is not to be trusted he is corrupt.

I'am very suspicious at the min, things are two quiet.

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    72 hrs and counting

7. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West