Need help removing ignition in 86 mondial | FerrariChat

Need help removing ignition in 86 mondial

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by JoeZaff, Apr 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I posted something similar in the 308 forum but didn't get much of a response. My ignition will not turn and the steering wheel is locked. The wheel moves freely from lock to lock so there is no load on the tumbler. I have done all the wiggling exercises etc. Nothing has worked. Its time to get the ignition tumbler out of the car. I can't think of anything else to do. I have a locksmith coming, but obviously I am only willing to give him a little bit of latitude. This is a pretty bad situation because the wheels are locked straight and there is no way to get my car out of the garage and onto a tow truck without some serious turning and a steep hill climb.

I have read all of the old threads and somebody described removing a screw at the 2:30 position, pressing an indent at the 11:00 position while putting the key in the on position and removing the tumbler. Unfortunately, I have tried this and with the key in the off position--where it is stuck---it doesn't seem to want to budge.

Any help would be really appreciated right now.

2. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal
    Hi, I encounter the same problem. My car is a '79 400. It has the same steering lock as yours I think, according to the parts catalogs. I bought a new one and I wonder how to replace the old one.

3. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    #3 FamilyCar, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Joe:

I can't speak for Mondials, but I had exactly the same problem with a previous car, and the solution (pressing in the button after turning the key) is correct. The problem being you can't turn the key.....

I think your only option is to have the locksmith move the tumblers around enough for you to turn the key to allow removal and proper repair of the lock. The button is so you can't remove the steering lock and hotwire the car, since the electrical connections are attached to the back of the switch/lock assembly and pull through the metal sleeve when you remove the lock/ignition switch. Basically, it locks with the same key as the rest of the car. It makes sense if it is working properly. When it jams, you're really stuck. I ultimately cut through the sleeve that the button engages, but I suspect you wouldn't want to do that.

It sounds as if the previous thread descriptions aren't perfectly clear, and looking at the exploded part's diagrams on-line doesn't seem too helpful. I attached a sketch of how it worked on my car, I'm guessing the Mondial is similar. Not to offend if you already knew this.

Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks. Ultimately, I was able to get a locksmith over. Once he was able to get the tumbler turning, I was able to remove the old ignition switch and replace it with a new one from a 355.

5. Christian-mondial8

Feb 10, 2012
    Hi, i purchase a 355 key switch for my mondial 8.
    However, the wires are different. The old switch as 2 additional black wires.
    How should I connect the new switch?

6. mondial5183

mondial5183 Karting

Nov 17, 2007
    I changed mine on my 3.2 mondial a few weeks ago. It's exactly the same item on alfa roméo 33 !!! just about 50$ in a fiat/alfa dealer....

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Unless someone has a specific answer based on experience you may need to review the wiring diagrams for both cars. Here's a link that might help:

http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/Downloads.htm

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #8 Wade, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yeah, but the Ferrari version comes with these little cuties...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login