Engine rev | FerrariChat

Engine rev

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jwbest, Jul 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jwbest

jwbest Rookie

Oct 14, 2008
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Walt
    While at outdoor exotic car show, the sponsor would have all of the owners rev their engines every hour for the crowd. Although it sounded cool, I have always been told this is not good for the engine while in neutral. Is this true? Thanks in advance for you comments!

2. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    as long as it is hot when you rev it and you do not take it to far it will not harm it.
    (but don't make it a habit)

3. mackb61

mackb61 Karting
    BANNED

May 17, 2008
    I was told a number of years ago that if the engine can rev to say 8,000 rpm while under load, there would be no harm in revving the engine to 8,000 rpm with no load. There is no difference. I'm not sure if I believe it. I see the logic, however. True or False and Why?

4. TLKIZER660

TLKIZER660 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    #4 TLKIZER660, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
    I've been taught that in an engine under load (more than just friction load) and at high RPM , the piston inertial loads (deceleration loads at TDC) are partly offset by gas loads (exhaust backpressure or compression loads). At no load (or only friction load), the piston inertial loads at high RPM (not reduced by gas loads) can cause piston failure. I've also been taught that most high RPM piston failures occur at the instant when the throttle is closed, unless the engine is over-revved. I don't know by personal experience or testing, but that's what an automotive piston design engineer told me in the late 1960s/early 1970s when I was dyno-developing engines for Ford.

Tom Kizer

5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    +1
    as explained by an automotive engineering instructor - but without any detail.
    full 'on throttle' to full 'off' throttle with the engine in gear

I'd love to hear 'why'?

rgds,
    Vincenzo

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    #6 VIZSLA, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
    What's with these how can I abuse my car threads that are popping up lately?

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    People just want to be told it is OK to act like an idiot 17 year old.

8. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I hope we're not seeing the market down turn put these cars in the hands of too many idiots.

9. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    worse, I hope those idiots are not flooding the market with their thrashed eingines.

10. anthonyh

anthonyh Rookie

Oct 13, 2008
    I don't think this is necessary to do every hours what the owner has done. This is harmful to the engine while in neutral.

11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I wouldn't rev period, let alone every hour, no matter how much you paid me.