GIVE ME A BREAK, Shell V-power, Now it's Nitrogen enriched, Come on! | FerrariChat

GIVE ME A BREAK, Shell V-power, Now it's Nitrogen enriched, Come on!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Spasso, Jul 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #1 Spasso, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
    What the hell was V-Power anyway? They never did have a decent explanation for it.

You do realize that the "air" your engine intakes is roughly 78% Nitrogen that passes directly past the valves that Shell's Nitrogen enriched gas is supposed to clean? "Dry air contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases". So how can adding even more Nitrogen into the fuel make it any cleaner? Maybe they need to add methane instead. What a scam!

While they are at it they should include a Turbonator.
    This product is a "vortex" type product that is placed in the intake tract that uses engine vacuum to create a vortex in the intake tract which 'A" does nothing for air/fuel mix because it occurs before the fuel is introduced. and 'B' causes turbulence in the intake tract which equals DRAG and reduced flow which SAPS POWER from the engine by requiring MORE vacuum to pull it all in.. . A second cousin to the Tornado, SpiralMax and a few others, all variations on a theme. And they are all worthless. The only thing they do well is take your money and make it disappear. You want to use that $69.95 and get more HP and better milage? Use it to get a good tune-up.
    In a word, it is JUNK!

I just can't stand the bad science and phony hype I'm seeing these days.

2. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Ok, but it's still better than BP with "invigorate" which makes your old car run like new longer. I don't even wanna know what's really in that stuff, if there even is anything different than any other sort of fuel.

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I think I need that "Invigorate in my morning coffee.

4. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Missing a little something here fellas. What they are talking about is not clear because they don't want you to know because it is so darn simple and it works. By displacing carbon this compound really works at cleaning and keeping clean all parts of a internal combustion engine
    Its not really fertilizer but rather a form of nitrogen of which their are many. It is in all likelyhood a boron compound and probably Methyl Borate added to the gasoline in a liquid form. You can create it in your own shop by dissolving Boric acid in Methyl alcohol actually one of the only solvents that it will dissolve in.
    Other products contain boron such as Z-Max and AvBlend which is FAA o.k'd for piston aircraft for addition to oil and gasoline. Nothing new here really just a very progressive oil company reformulating and creating a much improved product with a funky marketing gimmic.

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #5 Spasso, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
    For the sake of argument, A) WHY would they NOT want us to know if it's so simple and call it what it is, a "Cleaning Compound" (Insert name Here)? B) The fuel doesn't reach all parts of the engine. Just the valves and combustion chamber.
    Like in AIR

How does a Boron compound and Methyl Borate relate to an advertised Nitrogen Additive in Gasoline? Isn't that mislabeling a product?
    "Progressive"? Come on. Like Chevron's Techrolene. No more progressive than anyone else, just continuing research and development..
    Shell is pulling customer base with a new buzz word using much the same technology as before until Chevron can pull them back with their "revoloutionary" additive which may or may not be much better. And lets not forget Union 76.

Thank you for the enlightenment and I admit I am not well versed in fuel compositions and additives. I think the key statement you made in your last paragragh says it all, "Nothing New Here"

I am sure they are formulating an astounding compound a we speak, hopefully it will roll the odometer back on the TR

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Yea, a gimmick that probably sets them apart for some. Why not ride on the "nitrogen thing" that is supposed to make your tires last longer? The whole V-Power is supposedly some additive that the truck delivery guy puts in when he's pumping gas into the gas station tanks. Whether he remembers to do it each time is probably another thing.

7. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    Marketers contribution to society

8. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Chock full of wholesome goodness! :p

9. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Pales in comparison to the bogus over the counter (back of the magazine) medical treatments.

10. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Are you saying Extenz doesn't work?
    I'm crushed:)

11. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    It does if you pull hard enough.

12. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    lol

13. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Would the extra nitrogen help on "Trail Rated" vehicles also? I have a friend that has been using the extra hour given to us in the summer to haul Alpacas using a trail rated vehicle on his way to bring his son to some golf tourneys. I'm sure he would like to clean the carbon at the same time...
    :)
    BT

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I always buy Shell. Call it a marketing gimmick but I feel if they support the Ferrari team, that's good enough for me to buy their product. In some small way, I'm making a contribution.

I did see the Nitrogen thing though. I'm no chemist so it may be total bull. But, what about "Techron" that's been pushed for years by Mobile to keep valves and engines clean? Does that really work? What the heck is "Techron" anyway?

15. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    :rolleyes:

It isn't junk.

Shell discovered that nitrides of ogen hydrolyze unburned hydrocarbons and allows for more complete combustion resulting in greater power per kilogram of petrol and lower tailpipe emissions.

16. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #16 tundraphile, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
    I saw the ads for Ni-enriched gas and wondered also because variations of nitrogen oxides are some of the nastiest tailpipe emissions that catalytic converters have to clean up. What benefit would adding even more Nitrogen be to the gasoline? It makes sense that it is actually some complex molecule designed to dissolve (displace, whetever) carbon on valves. I guess calling it nitrogen in marketing-speak makes it accessible to the non-chemist. Whether it works or not is questionable.

As for the turbo-swirly-intake thingie, I can't see how they would work to improve power in any way. Perhaps they actually provide a restriction in the air intake, the MAF sensor detects lower airflow and reduces the amount of fuel injected accordingly. The vortex generated of fuel droplets and air might atomize more completely (although I doubt it) and in theory give you a cleaner burning engine with a little less power than before, but it is more efficent. But sounds more like snake oil to me.

By the way, I know Seafoam has been discussed here before but I prefer it to Techron as a gas additive. One can about every 5000 miles does seem to help. If you have ever tried half a can in the crankcase and then change the oil afte 50 miles or so, the amount of gunk you get out is remarkable. I tried it in my old DD and the oil was completely black and opaque.

17. rsqrd308

rsqrd308 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick Roth
    About 78% of the cost of a bar of soap is in the packaging. 'Nuff Said.

18. rsqrd308

rsqrd308 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick Roth
    Oh, and 46.8% of statistics are made up on the spot.

19. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    So if the nitrogen disolves crud, what is it going to do to your seals, valve seats, hoses, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel cell foam....?

20. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I believe it's 91.7%. ;)

21. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    82.5% of people always get that figure wrong.

And about the same amount will always fall for the same old crap so long as it's labeled "New And Improved."

22. BBL

BBL Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    "Awww, come on guys, it's so simple maybe you need a refresher course. Heyya! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, and I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State." :)

23. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Techron was developed by Chevron. It is their trade name for a fuel system cleaner that contains Polyether Amines or (PEA). The are other brands also. Take a look at the MSDS. AFAIK the highest concentration of PEAs is in Redline SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner. And yes, it does work.

24. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    You are taking my statement of "junk" out of context. I was referring to the Turbonator.

What is Ogen?

25. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Fletch ?