Lotus Evora a modern Ferrari Mondial | FerrariChat

Lotus Evora a modern Ferrari Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by effer, Jul 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should Ferrari reintroduce a 2+2 rear midengine?

1. YES!!!

2. no

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    As you might already know, Lotus will introduce a 2+2 midengine car which could be considered as a Ferrari Mondial modern incarnation.

Should Ferrari reintroduce a new Mondial?

IMVHO they should have never given up this model ...

2. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Regarding the Evora, I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it a 2+2. While there are 4 seats, there are very few humans who would ride in the back. One of the profile cut-away sketches I've seen shows what it would look like with people sitting front and back. Guess what, no room for seats and the back seater's knees would be through the person in front! Just ridiculous. Even though it's not roomy like a sedan, at least the Mondial's rear seats are somewhat usable.

If it were me, I'd love to see the following models brought back for a new run: TR, 308, Mondial.
    Make them in limited production numbers. Use all new technology, ie: aluminum chassis, CF bodywork, etc. Drop in high HP engines. Make the cars larger (mostly for 308's), yet lighter.
    That would really make my day to see these cars updated for the 21st century.

A 308 with a Scuderia engine - hmmmm! ;)

3. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.

I agree!

Your idea of a limited production of TR, 308 and Mondial is simply ... brilliant! It would also increase value and desirability of ours!

Like the new Miura prototype Lamborghini was about to lauch, the new Ford GT, ...

4. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Its the F430! The 308 never went away. It simply evolved into the GTO, 328, F40, 348, 355, 360, and 430. I can imagine the Dino and TR names will be used again in the future.

I agree!

Your idea of a limited production of TR, 308 and Mondial is simply ... brilliant! It would also increase value and desirability of ours!

Like the new Miura prototype Lamborghini was about to lauch, the new Ford GT, ...

5. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Ferrari already has 4 models (with their different versions). I think it's more than enough...

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    And I think they make way too many of them....

7. f1lupo

f1lupo Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Johnny S
    meh..why not?

8. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    I understand your points of view, so this is how I see it: although it is certainly more than enough, there is at the same time no problem, once in a while and preferably some thirty years later, to offer a limited run of some older models obviously in the goals to make a tribute, to show the actual know how and progress thus made and to remember the past.

So, why not!!!

Of course, because they are all Ferrari, but I think we mean that it would be very interesting to see what would come out of Maranello if, by example, they decided to produce another 308, i.e. the same package and engine displacement.

I would conjecture that we could have the blessing of enjoying a lighter car with at least an engine giving at least 100 hp/L !!!

About the actual line up I believe that Ferrari is missing to offer something like the Caparo T1, and more, I believe that Ferrari should have first made this concept ...

9. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    "Of course, because they are all Ferrari, but I think we mean that it would be very interesting to see what would come out of Maranello if, by example, they decided to produce another 308, i.e. the same package and engine displacement.

I would conjecture that we could have the blessing of enjoying a lighter car with at least an engine giving at least 100 hp/L !!!"

There was talk about a small Ferrari lately that ended up being the California. If they built a small Ferrari: lighter, cheaper, the most logical and historic name would be "Dino". This is what we thought the California would be called and it was not. That is a good thing because it is nothing like a Dino. In todays world, the F430 is a relatively small and light car. Cars have grown! Its engine is only 4.3 liters, small by performance car standards.

10. Weaselwee

Weaselwee Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2005
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #10 Weaselwee, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    +100

12. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    thanks for posting the pic. that's the same one I was referring to. What a joke for Lotus to call it a genuine 2+2!

as far as the previous comment regarding the 308's evolution over the years, I don't believe that today's 430 has much in common with it's 308 ancestry. Sure Ferrari has implemented what it's learned over the years in building their V8 cars, but an F430 has no semblance whatsoever to a 308 under the skin, or stylewise. As far as I'm concerned, the 308 lineage ended with the introduction of the 348. Very different cars, very different lines, very different cars to drive. I've never owned either of them, but I have driven both. Which is why I think it would be great to do a "reverse" evolution and put F430 technology into a 308 styled car and see what can happen.