Funny thing happened at a dealership | FerrariChat

Funny thing happened at a dealership

Discussion in '348/355' started by Night life, Jul 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    #1 Night life, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
    My friend just started working at one of our local dealers he kept on boasting about this Zo6 that was on the lot and how cool it was, people would just stop and stare at it. He asked me to come in and take it out for a drive, when I pulled up there were 2 couples looking at it as soon as they saw my spider they headed right for it lol, plus all the salesmen and owners came out to take pics lol. I told him nice car but it doesn't give this kind of response to people...:)......I hung out answered questions and drove off extremely satisfied that I will never ever buy a vette.

2. Skipper

Skipper Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Full Name:
    Frank Drebin
    vette is american garbage as we all know.
    remember the grand national- pile of rattling garbage

i am tempted from time to time as well to look at 911s- then remember i have something much better and more fun

3. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Gee, I don't know guys. I think they would make excellent winter cars. If you get the All wheel drive option perhaps you could fit it with a plow. Ohh, wait, there is no All wheel option.

(Vette in a tree at the end of Mr. Deeds...."damn these things are fast")

4. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Granted this is a Ferrari forum so our biased opinions should be expected...but I think the Vette's, especially Z06's and ZR1's are great cars. Plenty fast, reliable, and look good too. Looks-wise I'd take them over a Porsche any day! To me the only knock against them is they're a high volume production car, GM punched out hundreds of thousands of the things. And they all look the same....

5. stuckinkuwait

stuckinkuwait Formula Junior

Jul 25, 2004
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Lenny S
    I had a Corvette for many years before buying my 348. No other car out there embodies passion, styling, lifestyle and most of all - a man with a vision!!

6. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #6 355, Jul 6, 2009
    When I was a teen I wanted a vette so bad. There was a Chevy dealer down the street from my highschool and every now and then I would go down and stare at those beautiful long sweeping hoods. These were the vettes or stingrays of the early to mid 70s. I ended up buying a new 1980 when I went to work and soon found out that everyone and his cousin owned one. What Im getting at is that they were great cars especially when they were rare in the 60 and into the 70s but around 1976 and up they started making thousands of them. For those who think they made too many 355s well think again. In 5 years of 355 manufacturing, there were around 11,000 or so made. In 1980 Chevrolet made over 30,000 vettes.....In one year alone. This is what has killed the vette. It is no longer a rare car. through the 80s and 90s they must have made hundreds of thousands of them.

7. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    That must of been a funny scene to watch..

8. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #8 Saint Bastage, Jul 6, 2009
    My bad...it was a ditch/tree. Still makes me giggle.

Jay-I'm just funning. Wouldn't mind a vette when I pass on ther Audi to Lil Bastage. One of those stupid Mustangs might not be terrible either. Wifey says no to both. I've already got a cool car. Hope she doesn't decide on a Prius. That will leave a scar, a bad one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFsocK57YcE Starts at 40 seconds

9. Supratt6s

Supratt6s Rookie

Apr 5, 2009
    Let me start off by saying I am a c6 z06 corvette owner myself who is looking to get into a Ferrari 348 myself BUT there is no way I would call them garbage by any means. Performance, the c6z06 beats the f430 around the ring, top gear track, 0-60, and 1/4 mile with half the technology and running on leaf springs and runflats with roughly the same hp. Now saying that... It also has zero services required and rarely goes to the shop. Mine has 41,000 miles for being an 06 and went in for one starter... Nothing else.
    Onto the styling... It has a very aggressive stance and beautiful curves that give the American muscle personality. Sure it's interior is not up to Ferrari standard but is still nice and can be upgraded or redone by prestigous interior makers for a fraction of ferraris and looks just as nice.
    Now for the racing history... Of course Ferrari hands down wins this category but look in last 9 years. Team corvette has won the GT1 series almost every year and now has to go down a class for competition.
    Garbage? I don't think so... But it also is no where near the caliber of Ferrari

10. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    I see them more often around here as well. C4 (4 different) and C5 (3 different) mostly, think I've only seen one C6 (except at club corvette meetings) and no C1-3. And a group of vettes simply becomes a group of vettes, that's just the way it is. But that goes for all cars. A bunch of ferraris is just a bunch of ferraris, a bunch of porsches is just a bunch of porsches. Guess that's due to people tending to either do nothing to their cars or all doing the same thing.

Still, the 348 is a beautiful car and it is rare, no wonder people want to check one out when they get the chance. I definitely would. Not sure I would actually pick one over a C6 coupe though (then again, I'm trying to get a 4-cyl fiero running, so who am I to say anything about these things)

11. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    +1, i have a c5z06...runs better than my ferrari's....they have come along way, and if anything, ferrari should be ashamed recently that they are behind and at 3 times the price of admission....the cali is a good example of the wrong direction. I knock the General at every turn, but the Vette has nothing to be ashamed of in the exotic car market...and yes i said EXOTIC....glad you had fun at the dealership with the 348, just dont line up with any vette guys, cause their gonna laugh their sacks off ;)

12. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1....I would never buy a vette either

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree that a vette is not garbage, but it also is NOT a Ferrari :)

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Own both!!! You guys without vettes don't know what you are missing. I laugh when 348/355 guys do all kinds of stuff to their cars for 15hp! You guys better drive those 348/355's like cheech n' chong low riders and go for that "low and slow" attention because if you try to "get on it" all you are going to get are rock chips on the bonnet of your polish queen from that vette burning rubber in 3 gears. My only solution was to buy a Ferrari with more horsepower.

15. bobby355

bobby355 Karting

May 21, 2009
    billybob you're so right... i decided on a 355 instead of a c6 Z06, and boy am i disappointed in the cars performance.

One thing that I'm very happy with is random women trying to get into my car and tug at my shorts. Had a girl come up to the driver side window on the 4th of july and straight up ask me if I would make love to her on the hood of my car. This was with my girlfriend in the car with me. Let's just say my g-friend was less than happy about it.

Point of the story is there are pro's and cons to both cars.

Let's face it, GM has really done some fantastic things over the past few years (except make money.)

16. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto

Yes there are pros and cons

Pro- chics love Ferraris

Con- gearheads love vettes

17. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    Performance the Vette is light years ahead. Performance for value, clearly the Vette is the winner again. So why would anyone call them junk?

Of course the vette is not going to get the looks or attention because the cars that always receive the most attention are either rare, outrageous, or perceived pricey which the vette is none....

Vettes and Ferraris are both killer cars in their own way and serve their own purpose....

18. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    We like to think of it as quality over quantity. :D

Very rarely see Vettes here in the UK. My cousin has a black Z06 which he had imported around the same time I got my 348.

Got taken for a ride in it and I actually quite liked it. Prefer the look of teh new Mustang though. Wouldn't get either over a 348.

19. Supratt6s

Supratt6s Rookie

Apr 5, 2009
    So what I am seeing here is that your not buying the Ferrari for passion or racing history but for the 'chics'. I guess me at 22 years old with a c6z06 isn't getting me 'chics' at all ;). And when do get a 348 here shortly it certaily won't be for whom I can impress with my big 312hp :/

20. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cool story Roberto! :p:p

21. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Wrong...you buy whatever car you dream about, whatever makes your heart race when you see or hear one driving down the street. For me, it was ALWAYS Ferrari - couldn't care less about Lambo's or Porsche's, although both make fine cars that may be faster. If someone wants to admire my Ferrari because it's their dream too, I invite them to have a seat in it. But I didn't buy it to impress anyone else...really what is the point of impressing a stranger?? It's not the fastest or most reliable thing on 4 wheels, but it makes me smile every time I drive it. :D :D :D

22. Supratt6s

Supratt6s Rookie

Apr 5, 2009
    Well that's how it should be but we're getting replies from guys saying how many 'chics' they get or how much attention they get. To me that's not a reason to buy a car some like me who grew up loving cars for the passion and work their ass off to live that dream. I guess the car world is like professional sports now, it's all about the boing and attention

23. Supratt6s

Supratt6s Rookie

Apr 5, 2009
    I guess you didn't see my point... I was stating that these people are buying them fir the attention and not the passion for cars. If you're a car enthusiast you will see how good the vette is and the ones who are talking about all the ***** they get from driving a Ferrari seems to have a different reason

24. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey

+1 , glad to see there are people sticking up for the Vette. The ONLY thing that kills it is high production numbers BUT that also keeps the price down. Ferrari is slow increasing its production number so hummmm

25. Supratt6s

Supratt6s Rookie

Apr 5, 2009
    I love my vette to death... By the way, find a 348 worth buying for me yet?