The plot thickens - was Cosworth deal condition of '10 entry? | FerrariChat

The plot thickens - was Cosworth deal condition of '10 entry?

Discussion in 'F1' started by jknight, Jul 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #1 jknight, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
    Hand picked teams, now hand picked engine supplier - with all the tarnishment on F1, FOTA would be better not associated with the name but with their own "NEW" series IMO.

Carol

from crash net

Formula One bosses appear poised to have to fend off another controversy ahead of this weekend's German Grand Prix, amid claims that they 'hand-picked' newcomers for the 2010 championship based on their willingness to use Cosworth engines.

According to reports in the Daily Telegraph's business section over the weekend, the FIA stands accused of 'commercial bias' in its decision to offer entries to US F1, Campos Grand Prix and Manor F1 - who are scheduled to join the existing ten teams on the grid next season - ahead of more established names such as Prodrive/Aston Martin and Lola, both of which were widely assumed to have been 'kept back' in order to exert extra leverage on the dissident FOTA teams in the battle for control between the teams organisation and FIA president Max Mosley.

The report claims that many of the twelve teams overlooked for a place in F1's new-look line-up have now revealed that they had been told that running engines from Cosworth - which won an FIA tender to supply a spec-engine to the category - was a 'mandatory condition' for selection by the governing body. Unaware of the requirement, the disgruntled teams submitted their bids with plans to use alternative power suppliers - with one believed to have spent £1m preparing its bid.

"We were told that, if we wanted to take up the 2010 grid slot, we would have to sign a three-year engine contract with Cosworth," one team boss claimed, while another insisted that his outfit 'had a real possibility of obtaining a Renault, Mercedes or Ferrari engine'.

As Cosworth insisted that it did not put pressure on the FIA to impose such a condition on entry, a third team insisted that the newcomers had been 'hand-picked for political, rather than sport[ing] criteria', underlining suggestions that, with current engine suppliers BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault and Toyota all potentially involved in the proposed FOTA breakaway, the FIA needed to find an independent alternative that would render such a pressure scenario unlikely in future.

"The whole grid would be at the mercy of the car industry and no new team would be able to enter without their permission," an FIA spokesman confirmed.

US F1, Campos and Manor all came through the selection process designed to fill at least three places on the 2010 F1 grid after the FIA opened up extra grid slots in a bid to 'improve the show'. Although the potential of additional entries was closed by the peace accord hammered out between Mosley and FOTA, many of the teams missing out in the initial selection had revealed that they remained in conversation with the governing body should an opening become available.

Brawn GP CEO Nick Fry has also intimated that the 2010 grid is not yet set in stone, particularly as the three newcomers had all submitted their bids on the basis of the sport being subjected to a £40m budget cap - an idea scrapped as part of the deal that brought the two warring factions together shortly after the British Grand Prix.

2. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #2 DGS, Jul 6, 2009
    Saw that on Planet-F1. You beat me to it while I was looking for the original telegraph link:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/5752102/Team-owners-accuse-Formula-One-bosses-in-engine-row.html

Der Bernie is just playing for time, trying to disarm FOTA.

Quite aside from the dictator comments (or his earlier "women should dress in white, like other domestic appliances" gaffe) ...

,,, It's pretty blatantly clear that FOM doesn't want actual manufacturers in the Manufacturers' Series.
    And the notion of a required spec Cosworth for all cars hasn't gone away -- they're still pushing for it.

Apart from those whose 401K is invested through CVC, is anybody happy to see FOTA make nice with this disaster area?

Non-manufacturer teams, spec tires, spec engines, races in Elbonia, ...
    Just how is this "saving" F1? By making it into "Formula Pacific"?

R.I.P. F1

If the choice is between non-factory spec cars running in Bulgaria, and non-factory spec cars running at the Glen, I'll take IndyCars.

3. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Now the actions of the board of IMS are making perfect sence. Tony George is in the fast lane to Elbonia.

4. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #4 jknight, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    :

and how about this:

There is yet more controversy in F1 as teams who were rejected for next year's Championship have claimed that unless they signed up with Cosworth their applications were not considered.

FOTA is supposedly investingating the gimme slots, wonder how soon before we hear from them on this engine topic? You are absolutely correct R.I.P. F1

Carol
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #5 DGS, Jul 6, 2009
    I'm less miffed about the addition of new venues than about dropping the traditional venues: replacing the traditional venues with the new ones.

The traditional venues are the large consumers of production cars.

Moving races away from places like Silverstone, Imola, or anywhere in North America (where there are more cars than people), to places where car ownership is still optional (better public transport) is just part of the effort to drive manufacturers out of the F1 "manufacturers' series".

Bernie would rather be "dictator" to just another collection of "nobody" teams than having to listen to the manufacturers in F1.

If Bernie wants to be dictator over a spec series, he should concentrate on GP2 or Formula Atlantic, rather than ruining F1.

6. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #6 jknight, Jul 6, 2009
    if FOTA would have pulled out then Bernie would have been in hog heaven as dictator to the collection of nobody teams. . . . wonder if next we'll read that new teams will be guaranteed sponsors if they meet the conditions set forth to be accepted by signing up for x engines and .......ad naseum..............(fill in the blanks).

Carol

7. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #7 DGS, Jul 6, 2009
    The whole FOTA row was over using the budget cap to create a "two tier" race system.

Now FOM is just going to use the Cosworth spec mill to do the same thing. Haven't we already heard proposals to give the Cosworth mills special dispensations ("because they haven't been around a while")?

FOM hasn't dropped the attacks against the manufacturers one whit.
    Some deal.

The whole situation is unbelievably stupid:
    Bernie is chasing the money to whoever will pay big for the ego-boo of having the F1 circuit come to town, ...
    while driving off manufacturers, so he doesn't have to listen to them complain about moving away from their markets.
    But how long will people pay to attract an "F1" that doesn't have any name teams?
    This is getting to be motorsport's version of a get-rich quick scam.
    (Pay big for F1, get a spec series of no-name teams.)
    (Like charging for a ferrari and delivering a fiero with SF shields.)

I'd rather have written off 2010 to a short season while FOTA rebuilt the real F1 for 2011 than see FOM continue to ruin it for all time.

8. jeffashcraft

jeffashcraft Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2006
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ashcraft
    +1

9. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The whole thing stunk from word go!

10. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    This sport finds more ways to shoot itself in the foot.

11. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    commercial bias? how can it be called bias when it is that way by definition. they are stirring controversy by making it seem as if there is some purity that is being violated.

12. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    The report claims that many of the twelve teams overlooked for a place in F1's new-look line-up have now revealed that they had been told that running engines from Cosworth - which won an FIA tender to supply a spec-engine to the category - was a 'mandatory condition' for selection by the governing body. Unaware of the requirement, the disgruntled teams submitted their bids with plans to use alternative power suppliers - with one believed to have spent £1m preparing its bid.

I wonder how many (if any) teams unaware of this requirement will take this to a higher level - especially the one believed to have spend a very substantial amount of GBP for preparation.

Carol

13. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If I read one more thing supporting a reason why Mosley should retain his job and he was doing the right thing.. I will blow my F-ing stack.

14. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Please don't do that - PLEASE count to 10 before you read my most recent thread about the "Cat out of the bag" ! ! ! !

Carol

Please repeat the following: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10

Okay now you can go there!

15. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    ...and miss - only to shoot itself in the head...

16. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Alas.
    But then again their least used body part.

17. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Quite true! Steve did count to 10 before going to the other thread I just posted which is quite interesting about the cat in the bag

Carol

18. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I read it and I'm glad you prepared our delicate friend;)

19. kirill

kirill Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Kirill
    Windsor said on SpeedTV that new teams were encouraged to use cossworth

20. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    FOTA should meet...

Vote buth the MaXXX Mutley and Bunnie EGOstone guilty of bring the sport into disrepute...

And set a fine of $1B for Bernie...

Give MaXXX the choice of converting to judism or $1B Fine...

21. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    One funny thing not mentioned anywhere is that Nick Wirth who is the chassis supplier for Manor Racing F1 bid is married to Max Mosely's daughter! Funny how that team made the cut!

22. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Thank you for pressing the F1 self-destruct button. This sport will self-destruct in exactly two minutes and forty-five seconds. Have a nice day.

What a bunch of spaceballs. (Hail Scroob!)

23. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Nothing that corrupt cretin Mosley does surpises me, However I'am quite stunned Bernie stupidstone is still supporting a crazed lunatic...

It was always going to be the case that questions where going to asked about this, I posted something ages ago along the lines of this, why were the teams that were picked better than the others, because on paper all the failed teams were a much better bet.

24. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    That's because Bernie has become a crazed lunatic. Look at his latest rambling interview!

25. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    I may seriously quit following f1. The racing blows, I used to enjoy the sport, now it's non stop politics. Following new York state politics is bad enough; we talk more about politics here than actual racing...